1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ESPN: Dennis Green to be fired, Mack Brown possible successor

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by countingcrow, Jan 4, 2002.

1. chievous minniefield

chievous minniefield Contributing Member

I'd take shanahan in a second, if he would go for it.

how weird would it be if mike shanahan ended up at UT and gary kubiak ended up at atm?

good pick, smokey.

2. Puedlfor

Puedlfor Contributing Member

Shanahan said Notre Dame was his dream job, and I don't think he gave that a second thought. I don't believe he'll eriously consider Texas.

3. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

Dodds: Brown will get a raise
    Athletic director says 'nothing going on' with Brown, Vikings
    By Suzanne Halliburton
    American-Statesman Staff
    Friday, January 4, 2002

The University of Texas has started discussions with Mack Brown to give the Longhorn football coach and his staff raises as a reward for an 11-2 season and top five finish.

Athletic Director DeLoss Dodds and UT Vice President Patricia Ohlendorf met Thursday to talk about the raises. On Friday, Dodds and Brown met to discuss salaries at about the same time Minnesota Vikings Coach Dennis Green announced his resignation. Green's announcement led to immediate national speculation that Brown would replace him at Minnesota.

"Mack will get a raise," Dodds said Friday. "He's done a great job. Top five in the country — that's real good. That's wonderful."

Brown's name was linked to the Vikings' opening because the team is owned by Red McCombs, a San Antonio businessman, an avid UT supporter and close friend of Brown's.

Both Dodds and Ohlendorf said that McCombs hasn't asked permission to talk to Brown about the Vikings job, although there has been speculation for the last two months that Green would not be retained.

"There's nothing going on there," Dodds said.

Added Ohlendorf: "We are totally committed to Mack Brown, and I think he is committed to us."

Brown still has seven years on a contract that pays him $1.459 million annually. In addition, he earned bonuses of $150,000 after the 2001 season — $75,000 for earning a spot in the Big 12 Conference title game; $50,000 for finishing fifth in the country and $25,000 for earning a spot in the Holiday Bowl.

Earlier Friday, Brown issued a statement through the UT Sports Information Department saying he would not comment on any job openings.

"When you're at a place like Texas and have a great year, you're going to get inquiries when there are job openings," Brown said. "I have learned to make it a policy not to comment on other job openings."

http://www.austin360.com/aas/horns/football/0102/0104brownraise.html
    ---

Someone needs to fire Deloss Dodds.

#23 Smokey, Jan 4, 2002
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2002
  4. NCSTATEFAN

NCSTATEFAN Member

True, FSU was pretty much beitch slapping Brown, which is why I am not fan of Mac Brown as a coach. His talent base the last year at UNC was excellent, and close enough to FSU where he could have won, if he could coach with the best.
    But I agree with you, losing Brown would not be a huge disappointment since Texas sells itself. Maybe you take a slite hit in recruiting, but if you can get a coach that can win in big games, it will more than make up for the loss.

5. 3oClockRocket

3oClockRocket Member

Mack isn't going anywhere...Red is a great supporter of UT..both academics and athletics..

He gave my school $50 million (?). And when he visited the business school couple years ago, he seemed like a great guy. That's why we're called the McCombs School of Business. Red wouldn't do anything to harm UT.

6. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

Mack actually was a great recruiter at UNC. As much as I dislike the guy, he is one of the top 3 recruiters.

Mack was starting to reel in Top 10 classes at UNC before he left for UT.

7. Smokey

Mack should be paid according to how the team finishes the year. The team finished in the top 5. Mack is one of the top 5 highest paid coaches in colllege football. He has enough salary incentives to keep him satisfied. Lets win a MNC or even dare I say a conference title before giving the guy a lifetime contract with yearly raises and a gold statue in front of the stadium.

Dodds sucks.

#27 Smokey, Jan 5, 2002
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2002
  8. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I consider myself pretty smart when it comes to sports...not a genius or anything, but I can hold my own.

So, I feel pretty dumb, and I know I'll feel dumber when you tell me what the "M" stands for in "MNC".

9. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

"M" equals "mythical." I, like some others, think that a championship w/o a playoff is a mythical one. That being said, I would have been shocked if any team in the top ten would have beaten Miami.

I think Mack may have it in his contract that he's one of the top he will be one of the top 4 highest paid coaches in college.

10. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Oh, but he's already won so many mythical national championships in February.

11. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

Huh? You lost me in your apparent bitter diatribe. I was referring to the one that is won on the playing field. Some people believe that any championship without a playoff is "mythical." Clear enough?

12. chievous minniefield

rm95, you still haven't weighed in with who you want
    to improve upon what Mack has done. . .

13. Smokey

I'd say its less than a 1% chance Mack is leaving now that he will be given a raise to his already 4th highest salary in college football (1.46 million base). I wonder if he will get Willingham Stoops like money.

14. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

gr8-1,

I agree with you. I think the bowl system is a sham, especially when you have some sort of controversy every year. What I was referring to is the recruiting championships all his supporters like to throw out. It's one thing to recruit amazingly, which he does, but it's a completely different thing to turn that talent and potential into a championship, which he's never done.

Chievous,

I'd take Mike Stoops. I wanted Bob Stoops back in 1997 when Mackovic was fired. After that, it probably wouldn't be wise to make a change now since there aren't really any candidates that I would want (I'd have loved Willingham), even though you could probably lure all kinds of people to Texas-Belotti, Neuheisal, Beamer. Regardless, just because I may not have one clear person in mind, that doesn't take away from my dislike of Brown. The guy's been recruiting at an elite level for years now, and has yet to win a conference championship, much less a national championship...that's troubling to me. Most UT fans are happy with 9-3 or 10-2 every year without anything to show for it, I'm not. I'll take the occasional 7-4 or 6-5 season if it means we won some sort of championship in between.

15. chievous minniefield

that's cool. of course, mike will probably take over at ou when brother bob goes to the swamp.

I can hear what you're saying about accepting 9-3 seasons.

the reason I'm not pissed right now at Mack is because there was tangible, measurable success this year for the 'Horns.

they didn't blow any stupid, early-season games. they won the big 12 south, albeit strangely. they were one play away from winning the big 12 title and playing for the national title. they won their bowl game, and they finished in the top 5.

to me, all of these things are signs of progress and improvement from a year ago.

next year, the bar will be higher. if they go 9-3 next year, lose to ou again, fail to win the big 12 and compete for the national title. . . with all that talent they have. . . then, I'll be pissed.

16. Major

Major Member

Mack Brown is now the only current active head coach (Spurrier was the other but he's no longer active) to have 9 wins in each of the last 6 seasons. Snyder & Bowden broke their streaks this year.

17. Smokey

I don't know if I'd be happy with Mike Stoops as head coach, but he would get rid of Greg Davis. I'm afraid what Mike would do on offense. Like his brother Bob did at OU, he could bring in a weird spread OC although UT does have a great RB. I'm not afraid of the spread (Florida and Kentucky) just the spread that Tech runs (weird formations) and OU runs (no running game).

18. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

I'm fairly sure no one knows what the M stands for. At least no one I know has figured it out. Everyone just keeps writing the M so they don't look stupid. The best guess I've come up with is "major" but I can't see that being correct.

19. Smokey

I kept seeing a national title referred to as a MNC so I started using it never questioning the "M". I thought it was a short form for national championship everyone used. I later learned that most people use the "M" to stand for mythical although I guess it could mean other things.

20. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

Just bothered to read this thread now.

I wouldn't count on Shanahan leaving the Broncos to take a college job. Sure he has won 2 Super Bowls, and probably really has nothing left to prove. However, he is like director of football operations as Pat Bowlen, the owner, has given him complete control over the football decisions. I also think that he is one of the higher paid coaches in the NFL. So, it's this combination of these 2 things plus some minor things that make me skeptical to see Mike leave the Broncos and definitely the NFL.