1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ESPN: Dennis Green to be fired, Mack Brown possible successor

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by countingcrow, Jan 4, 2002.

1. countingcrow

countingcrow Contributing Member

http://msn.espn.go.com/chrismortensen/s/2002/0103/1305110.html

Sources: Barring change of heart, owner to fire Green

Jan. 3

Dennis Green will be fired next week unless Minnesota Vikings owner Red McCombs has a last-minute change of heart, according to league and team sources who say that McCombs has privately backtracked on the public vote of confidence he issued to Green last month.

Dennis Green has reached the playoffs eight times in his 10 seasons with the Vikings.

McCombs is expected to meet with Green on Tuesday after the Vikings end the regular season Monday night in Baltimore. Team and league sources say McCombs has decided to fire Green unless the owner "flat-out changes his mind." A league source also said that McCombs is "unpredictable."

Buccaneers coach Tony Dungy would be a leading candidate as Green's replacement if Dungy is also fired in Tampa, the sources said.

Green had no comment after the Vikings' practice on Thursday . McCombs could not be reached for comment, but the sources say he has grown in his conviction that major changes are needed to put the franchise back on track.

Green did however speak about the ESPN report on radio station WMNN, saying: "I've not had any conversations about the job or anything like that.

"Everyone knows that this is not something that hasn't been talked about a great deal. I think it's the first time it's been on ESPN. I just stand where I've always stood, which is always on the high ground, always take a positive approach and keep on doing my job."

Despite Green's overall 97-62 record in 10 seasons, the sources say McCombs believes Green has lost his effectiveness as a leader, citing numerous discipline problems this season.

Previously, sources said the owner was thinking about stripping Green of his power and title as the team's vice president of football operations but decided that an outright dismissal made more sense. Green has been contemplating major changes of his own, sources said, including the possible dismissal of his respective offensive and defensive coordinators, Sherman Lewis and Emmitt Thomas.

The coach and owner have had at least one serious confrontation over Green's staff, according to sources. Green almost resigned around midseason because McCombs insisted that he fire assistant coach and director of pro personnel Richard Solomon, a close friend of Green's, the sources said.

There were initial discussions of a negotiated settlement, the sources said, but McCombs backed off and Green wasn't about to walk out on a contract that pays him about $3 million per year through 2004. Solomon remained on board, too.

McCombs also has monitored Green's unpopularity in Minnesota, despite eight playoff seasons in 10 years. The owner is at a critical juncture in his attempt to have a new stadium built, and changing coaches "could only help the dynamics" on the political front, the sources said, though it is not the driving force behind the potential dismissal.

While Texas coach Mack Brown has been speculated as a possible successor to Green because of his close relationship with the owner (who lives in San Antonio), the sources say that Dungy would be the favorite if the Buccaneers fire him.

Dungy's familiarity with the NFC Central, his experience as a popular defensive coordinator in Minnesota under Green and his status as a former University of Minnesota player make him a popular choice, the sources said.

The Vikings and the university are cooperating on efforts to build a new retractable dome stadium.

2. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

While I wouldn't mind Mack leaving, Red would make many of his fellow alums angry by hiring away a coach so late.

3. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

I'd hope Mack is smart enough not to get involved in the turmoil up there in Minnesota. Mack is a great college coach, especially when it comes to recruiting, and all of that talent would go to waste in the NFL. However, if he did leave, I think we'd be in a lot of trouble at Texas.

4. Smokey

Is this guy available?

5. Smokey

It's a done deal. I mean Green getting canned.

Vikings, Green agree on buyout
    ESPN.com news services
    Friday, January 4

Dennis Green and the Minnesota Vikings have reached agreement in principle on a buyout that will terminate Green's employment with the team, his agent told ESPN.com's Len Pasquarelli on Friday.

As first reported Thursday by ESPN's Chris Mortensen, Vikings owner Red McCombs had made up his mind to fire Green next week after Monday night's season finale at Baltimore.

Green and his agent Ray Anderson wanted the issue resolved sooner.

Anderson said some details still need to be finalized, but he was confident the deal would be finished by early afternoon.

Green will not coach the Vikings on Monday night. It's expected that offensive line coach Mike Tice will coach the team.

Green was 97-62 in 10 seasons as Vikings coach, reaching the NFC championship game twice in the last four years.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/news/2002/0104/1305597.html

6. Major

Major Member

On the Austin news last night, I heard some type of snippet that Red McCombs said he didn't want to try to take Mack away from UT.

7. Puedlfor

Puedlfor Contributing Member

There's not much of a reason to leave the college ranks for Mack, especially since it would nullify one of his biggest assets - his recruiting ability.

8. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

RM95 is now officially hoping and praying.

9. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

I think UT football means more to Red than the Vikings, lol.

10. chievous minniefield

chievous minniefield Contributing Member

and who is rm95 hoping and praying for as a replacement?

greg davis?

11. Smokey

I don't think Texas would shatter if Mack went to the Vikings. I think that's overestimating Mack's worth. Mack is a great recruiter, but even he admits that Texas sells itself. How many players are coming to Texas because of Mack Brown? How many players went to UNC because of Mack? Mack couldn't recruit at UNC because its a basketball school. Most players are coming to Texas because of the facilities, family environment, tradition, school, town, etc...

Mack has a good natured friendly personality which has a lot to do with improving recruiting, but Texas could find a coach to take over what he has built. Greg Davis can get lost.

So if Red and the Vikings want Mack, I say goodbye and good luck.

12. Major

Major Member

<B>and who is rm95 hoping and praying for as a replacement? </B>

Steve Spurrier. :)

13. Smokey

If Spurrier became coach of the Horns, I'd cry....

..tears of joy!!!! :D

14. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Exactly. I want the guy that I feel has helped keep Brown down (through being a bad OC and Brown's ignorant loyalty). However, he has won just as many conference championships as Brown.

15. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

We should all write to Red to encourage him to hire Greg Davis, the offensive genius. Word is that Indiana is considering him as HC, no joke. Saw the thread at Hornfans.

16. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

This doesn't sound too great... :(

"When you are at a place like Texas, and you have a great year, you are going to get inquiries when there are job openings. I have learned to make it a policy not to comment on other job possibilities."-- Mack Brown's statement

17. NCSTATEFAN

NCSTATEFAN Member

18. chievous minniefield

chievous minniefield Contributing Member

but rm95. . . you only answered one of the questions, and that was the sarcastic one at that!

so, who would you want to replace brown and take UT to the promised land?

19. Smokey

Okay I was pretty harsh. Mack did well in Carolina but not enough to beat Florida State. Why? Most people feel FSU had more talented athletes (Mack couldn't easily recruit those type of big name 5 star athletes to Chapel Hill). It wasn't that players didn't like his personality, it was UNC - not historically known for a strong football program.

In Texas, Mack has more recruits to chose from. He can recruit, he has recruited, much better players than he did at UNC. A part of that is him, and some of it is The University.

My point being Mack leaving to the Vikings won't take Texas back to the last Mackovic year. Recruiting may slip a little because Mack is Mack, but whoever takes over his job can build on what he has done.

20. Smokey

Mike Shanahan's name has come up for the Florida job. With Kyle on the team, I'd offer him the job.

He could also work with Simms.