1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ESPN] Day One Summer League Roundup

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by TexAg713, Jul 10, 2010.

1. TexAg713

TexAg713 Member

from Kevin Arnovitz's Summer League Journal (Rockets relevant material quoted)

http://espn.go.com/blog/TrueHoop/post/_/id/17933/day-one-summer-league-roundup

on Patrick Patterson:

on Jermaine Taylor:

2 people like this.
  2. Cakewalk

Cakewalk Member

Strive to improve. I like this kid more and more as the days past.

3. ShiniKashi

ShiniKashi Member

nice thanks!

4. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

PP could not be any more humble.

5. roslolian

roslolian Member

LOL I said PP was a steal at the 14th slot and I'm right. To be quite honest I sorta' feel bad for him, had he gone to a team without Scola already at the 4 he would have competed for the ROY with 35~ a night. As it is look for him to become Landry v2 on our roster and be the first guy off the bench.

6. Raven

Raven Member

Steal of the draft. Book it.

7. meh

meh Contributing Member

To be honest, never in my wildest dreams did I think he had NBA 3 point range. And I was pretty high on his shooting going into the draft too.

8. TexAg713

TexAg713 Member

Now we know why the Rockets' war room erupted in cheers when he fell to us.

9. jump shooter

jump shooter Contributing Member

With PPs range all the way out to the 3pt line, I wonder if he may be a better fit to start with Yao. It would be hell for teams to double Yao on the block with a legit 4 dragging his man out to the 3pt. line and forcing the double team to come from a smaller man.

10. JCDenton

JCDenton Member

Come on now, he's not an NBA quality starter yet. There are very few teams he could start on. He had a one day summer league performance comparable to what Scola puts up consistently against NBA competition with starter minutes.

11. roslolian

roslolian Member

Rookies are hardly quality starters, even top 3 ones. The fact is players of PP's calibre usually end up in crap teams, which would have given him the PT he needed to put up monster stats. Also:

1. Scola is one of the best non-superstar PFs in the league. He'd definitely be in the top 10 pfs.

2. I don't know many pfs who can score in the post AND hit 3's at a high rate who also happen to defend and rebound pretty well. DM compared him to AL Horford and I'm starting to agree that we got that level of talent.

12. W22_STREAK

W22_STREAK Member

imagine if they had gotten chris bosh............the rockets management room would have exploded on 10 sides with the room boomed into galviston

13. W22_STREAK

W22_STREAK Member

scola in top 10? highly doubt it...

Chris Bosh
    Amare
    Al Jefferson
    David Lee
    Boozer
    Pau Gasol
    Zach Randolph
    Tim Duncan
    Dirk
    David West

Thats 10 on the top of my head that EASILY trumps Scola...Luis is a quality player...but he could easily be having a bench role on a more stacked team like the Celtics......

14. TexAg713

TexAg713 Member

imagine if Scola teaches PP and Hill to scoop the ice cream down low? I'd love to see him pass those moves on before he retires. :grin:

15. JCDenton

JCDenton Member

1. As somebody already showed. Scola is more like a 10-15 pf. His value was greater than his talent thanks to a cheap contract.

2. LOL, you're going to draw all of those conclusions about him from one summer league game? Remember Donte Greene? He may eventually become a nice player but there are almost no teams in the league that would give him 30+ mpg unless they were tanking. Feel free to list all the teams that would start him right now.

16. mofuggin_OG

mofuggin_OG Member

JT kills it! He looks a lot better than last year, but he still has a way to go. Dude can reach All-Star status if he learns how to play D and works on his passing skills

17. douglasreedy1

douglasreedy1 Member

This isn't NBA live... Amare and especially Randolph aren't better players than scola. Numbers aren't everything.

18. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

He is arguably better than Boozer and West, possibly similar to Lee.

19. Scarface281

Scarface281 Contributing Member

Have you seen Donte Green this year? Dude wasn't half bad for Sacramento when he got minutes.

20. JCDenton

JCDenton Member

Yeah, and judging by his 13 mpg his rookie year, he clearly wasn't ready to be an NBA starter after one good summer league game. He did not even get starter minutes his second year. So to say that Patterson has bad luck for being stuck behind an above average PF is ridiculous.