1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ESPN/David Thorpe: Houston is #5 at best, I don't love Houston

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, Aug 22, 2013.

1. Rox23

Rox23 Member

McHale has yet to prove that he is a great coach PERIOD. And yes, when you do slow the game down it does boil down to X's and O's.

Last year this was McHale's game plan: give the ball to Harden and everyone get out of the way; or...just freeform at fastest pace possible up and down the court.

2. Sketzophrenic

Sketzophrenic Member

Grizzlies at 2? ahead of spurs, thunder and us? who's david thorphe anyway, he's not otis thorphe at least..

3. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

That may be true but cant nobody take away the fact that he took a young and inexperienced team to the playoff's..Especially under the circumstances he had to endure with throughout the season. Do we need to list those circumstances for ya.

And that **** worked right because we finally made the playoff's after 3 long season. IJS

4. ParaSolid

ParaSolid Member

We should at least get the 4th seed. This is like our 2004-2005 squad except on crack. Arguably, our two superstars back then were better, but I think 2013-2014 team as a whole is better. Jon Barry, David Wesley, Juwan Howard, Bobby Sura VS. Chandler Parsons, Omer Asik, Patrick Beverly Lin, Terrence Jones, etc.

5. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Thorpe may be proven right but it's tough to agree. Listing Memphis at #2? A good team, sure, but they wouldn't have even reached the 2nd round if Blake Griffin had been healthy.

I'll agree that McHale isn't much of a coach, as Thorpe has often made clear, but McHale might be an asset rather than a liability now that we have Dwight in the fold; let him coach Dwight and let the assistant coaches do the mental lifting.

Thorpe's relationship with certain players colors his judgments too much. He talks about Kevin Martin as if the two of them go to Outback Steakhouse together once a week. And soi forth.

Oh, and you gotta love Thorpe's BSPN chats:

"Now that Dwight is in the fold, do you think he and Harden will make a dynamic duo? That they'll just kill it on the pick and roll? That etc etc etc?"

"Time will tell."

He never gives answers of more than three words. He's the anti-Wilbon. Which is good and bad.

Let's forget this guy's opinion. I also don't see OKC falling to #4 in the West.

6. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

I have no idea why people think we're going to slow down much at all, Dwight is faster and more athletic than every other center in the nba.

Last year, he was extremely hindered the first half of the season, the lakers were starting lineup besides him were all about 50, and they still were 5th in the league in pace.

What's going to slow down is the forced shots when the transition is covered to avoid the half court set, but that will create a slightly more flexible but still quick offensive pace.

7. kuku

kuku Contributing Member

One of the worst predictions ever. OKC doesnt need to improve their roster this offseason to be #1. They already have 2 top 10 players in KD and RW.

Does Thorpe actually understand what it means to have two 24 years old superstars? They are actually younger than Beverley and about the same age as Parsons and Lin. Some keep forgetting that they haven't even peaked yet and KD only scratches the surface of greatness. Barring injuries to their two stars, Thunder will NOT fall to 4th!

If they amesty useless Perkins, start Collison, and trade for a bonafide backup 5, they can win it all this year. As great as Durant and RW, even they can't overcome 25 min of playing 4 vs 5 against good teams.

8. sleepyazn

sleepyazn Member

If you don't think that team will miss a dude giving them 17 points a night coming off the bench then you're crazy. Kevin Martin had an extremely efficient season with OKC hitting 3's at an elite level for them. Also who knows what condition Westbrook will come in? I expect a slow start for OKC and finishing 3-5 in the West.

9. ffrigger

ffrigger Member

Clippers and Grizzlies 1 and 2 is absurd. I don't see the clippers winning a play-off series against the spurs or thunder, no chance, grizzlies may have better chances bit i don't think they win against a healthy thunder team

What he's said about the Rockets isn't so dumb, coaching and playing at slower pace could hurt us but i don't think we have to slow down to play with Dwight.

10. BONIERO1576

BONIERO1576 Member

Yeah, our ranking aside the fact that he thinks Memphis and LA rank above OKC and SA is pretty stupid.

11. kuku

kuku Contributing Member

You are just as crazy to think bball is playing only at one end.

12. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

Yeah this cat doesn't know what he's talking about he's ranking on the account of his own personal emotions like a girl...

13. ILoveTheRockets

normally I wouldn't quote Jim Rome in fear of his clones, but, he said it best.

"If you don't think the Houston Rockets will be a top 3 team, you are dumb"

14. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

How in the he'll is Memphis going to be better after getting rid of in my opinion one of the best coaches in the game?

List as of today should be...

1.Thunder
    2.Clippers
    3.Spurs
    4.Rockets
    5.Golden State

15. HOUSTONJS

HOUSTONJS Member

I have us 4th. It is the west though and I don't think the top 6 teams will be separated by much games at all. It wouldn't surprise me if we were 2nd or if we were 6th.

16. OremLK

OremLK Member

You don't need an elite coach to win a championship. You start getting called an elite coach after your team wins one for you.

Coaches seriously just aren't THAT important. For example, adding Doc is not in any way going to make the Clippers championship contenders. They will still be a middle seeded team unless their frontcourt magically grows some brains & defensive fundamentals.

17. Jpripper88

Jpripper88 Member

Yep, another words.

18. rogower

rogower Member

Ah, but you forget about the emergence of Reggie Jackson last season, who fills the third guard role previously inherited by James Harden and then Kevin Martin. I also expect one or more of their first and second year guys (Jeremy Lamb, Perry Jones, Steven Adams) to emerge as good role players. Most importantly, they have Kevin Durant, the league's second-best player, easily. They will be extremely good. Don't forget that Martin a) sucks on defense and b) is injury prone.

19. ffrigger

ffrigger Member

Maybe that's what happened to Spoelstra but i don't remember a championship-team in the last 20 years with a middle tier coach/coaching-staff

20. RocketsFan69

RocketsFan69 Member

Grizzlies and thunder need to switch