1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ESPN/David Thorpe: Houston is #5 at best, I don't love Houston

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, Aug 22, 2013.

1. solid

solid Contributing Member

Preseason predictions are like toilet paper; they generally get flushed once the real thing happens. The Rockets are definitely in the top five in the West, talent wise. Where exactly will be determined by how well they play. (brilliant!) I don't see the Clippers finishing first in the West or the Grizzles second though. It is going to be a dog fight. I like our chances for a high seed. The Rockets are really loaded. If any of our "youngsters" come up big, then no telling what could happen.

2. tminusrex

tminusrex Rookie

Thunder are pretty meh. They just aren't as good as they used to be.

3. Gil

Gil Member

Homers coming out of the woodwork once again. This place will be hell if we don't win a Championship this year.

4. solid

solid Contributing Member

I think we have to go to the second round at least. Most will be disappointed if we aren't in the conference finals. I actually think there are very few who believe we will win it all this year. If our young talent blossoms and the vets mesh quickly, the Rockets will be scary good. No more being the marginal team in the West. We should be in every game.

5. J.R.

J.R. Member

There won't be hell.

If they get out of the first round there will be a 'parade'. ;)

6. cebunit

cebunit Member

I completely agree. At best,I would have them at the #5 seed as nothing has been proven yet. They have the talent and im sure with D12 coming in hungry, Rockets will be on fire.

1.Spurs
    2. Okc
    3. Clippers
    4. GSW
    5. Rockets

7. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

The Rockets knocked the mystique factor off.

It would be dangerous to underestimate them, though.

8. Akim523

Akim523 Member

Because we didn't trade for Yi

9. meh

meh Contributing Member

This. Thorpe has always been blatantly biased towards teams based on how they treat the players associated with him. Placement of Thunder is a great indication of this.

10. NotChandlerParsons

We already run pick and rolls every possession so I'm not sure what Sloan could do to improve the team.

11. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

12. rogower

rogower Member

Completely agree. I can't remember a season where a #5 was so close to the #1. The final standings will have more to do with injuries and luck than anything else. Whichever of these top five teams is the healthiest and luckiest will make the NBA Finals.

My current projection:

1 Thunder 62-20
    2 Clippers 61-21
    3 Spurs 60-22
    4 Rockets 59-23
    5 Grizzlies 56-26
    6 Warriors 48-34
    7 Mavericks 42-40
    8 Blazers 41-41
    9 Timberwolves 36-46
    10 Pelicans 35-47
    11 Nuggets 34-48
    12 Jazz 30-52
    13 Lakers 24-58
    14 Kings 23-59
    15 Suns 20-62

13. mattrbowers

mattrbowers Member

Don't you mean "Tie Me To The Loo"?

1 person likes this.
  14. roslolian

roslolian Member

Well Houston aside his rankings are whack. Why are the Clips and more importantly Grizz above Spurs OKC and Houston? To be quite honest I don't understand why everyone is on the Clips train, that squad is a tower of cards relying on CP3's healthy knees.

15. infinitidoug

infinitidoug Member

Thought we didn't have chemistry last season. Worked out pretty well lol

16. Moonscope

Moonscope Member

1. Thunder
    2. Rockets
    3. Spurs
    4. Clippers
    5. Grizzlies
    6. Warriors
    7. Nuggets
    8. Blazers or Wolves

Spurs slip, Clippers still can't defend and are knocked out 1st round by the Grizzlies.

Top 4 are all separated by 4 wins.

17. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

Just my weird feeling predictions:

One of the top contenders are going to have to deal with a major injury next season. With that being said, let us look at the contenders for the western crown:

1. Clippers are f'd if it is Chris Paul
    2. Durant and OKC wont make the playoffs
    3. Spurs are irrelevant without Duncan; but superior coaching always puts them in contention
    4. Steph Curry equals chance for GSW; without him, they would be chasing the 8th seed
    5. I think Zbo matters more than Conley,Gasol for Memphis; His post game allows Gasol to shoot from outside, and Conley free reign inside..
    6. Rockets is still a playoff team if either Harden or Dwight is lost but not both...without both, we would be chasing the 9th seed and #14 pick yet again!
    7. Dirk equals Dallas...the reason why they didnt make the playoffs is bc he didnt start the season...they are guaranteed lottery team with the German...
    8. Without Love, all is lost; No LA...might as well change the Rose Garden to a flower pot (Really see no chance the Lakers even sniff the playoffs without Kobe)

All this being said, the Rockets surprisingly are one of the few contenders in the West that can really challenge the crown, if the worst case scenario really does happen. That enough should give Rockets fan a lot of reason to be excited and optimistic at the chances things look good for us.

18. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

without

19. ico4498

ico4498 Member
    Supporting Member

David Thorpe was pure fiction, now we're in the twilight zone.

rank the rankers ... if no SA or OKC in the top two spots leave 'em obscure.

20. roflmcwaffles

roflmcwaffles Member

I disagreed with most of what Thorpe said about everyone.

My thoughts:
    1) Clippers are stupidly overrated. I don't believe Doc is a great coach, I think he is alright, but Boston won because of big 3 + Thibs D imo.

2) Memphis I think is going to be a good regular season team again. They are deep, but they just aren't built for the playoffs (aka no true star). Lots of really good players tho.

3) Spurs are always good in the regular season it's stupid to count them out till Pop and/or Duncan are gone.

4) Rockets analysis was pretty good I thought. McHale we all saw last year is horrible with Xs and Os. I'd be concerned about that too. I think more than anything if Dwight enjoys playing, he won't mind the up and down style. Rockets + Dwight up and down style = Suns 2.0 (Suns with defense).

5) Thunder will still be good. Durant is just too good for them not to be a top 3 seed.

I think the west is more wide open this year than ever before though.

I think when it comes down to it Rockets, Thunder, Spurs, and POSSIBLY Memphis if this PG Thorpe talked about is as good as he let on will battle for #1 seed (yea don't care if I'm a homer, I just think Dwight is the perfect fit next to Harden, and a possible top 5 continuous D with Howard/Asik).

Clippers will end up #4 or #5 again. Their problem wasn't their coach (though their coach was pretty worthless) or shooting, or anything they "fixed." It was their frontline. Jordan is completely worthless and Griffin is overrated.

They should've tried to get D12 with a BG package imo. They might lose a little on offense with that, but they'd gain so much on defense, which they badly need.