1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ESPN] David Carr, right man to lead franchise

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Khal80, Oct 28, 2006.

1. SamFisher

SamFisher Member

I don't recall anything about or care that much about your current marital situation other than wishing you well, whatever it might be.

2. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Then I still don't have any idea what that post means.

But I'm finally taking Buck's advice.

3. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Member

Carr has played on an EXPANSION franchise, and a poorly run one at that. With a competent coach this year, Carr has a 90+ QB rating. Carr is not perfect, but the comparison to Plummer isn't a fair one, IMO.

As far as Bush- blah blah blah. Your boy Vince isn't even completing 50% of his passes and has a couple of games without even reaching 100 yards.

4. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Notable Member
    Supporting Member

Whoa, I am...

[​IMG]

OUTTA HERE

5. hatemavs4life

hatemavs4life Member

Hell DaDa, if he only had a minute left (two at most) IMO we would've won, when we stopped turning the damn ball over we found the Titans defense was virtually defenseless. That's why that loss is so maddening! :mad:

We gave them the DAMN game! Uugh!!!

6. hatemavs4life

hatemavs4life Member

As long as Drew is QB'ing, I doubt this will happen. Also, the Saints core is stronger than EVER before. Colston with Horn, the Deuce is once again loose, better coaching and improved D. As far as Bush goes, he's definitely not earning his paycheck. The Saints may have drank too much of the USC definite star euphoric koolaid.

7. hatemavs4life

hatemavs4life Member

Enough of the damn excuses, from this point forward, Carr has to play desperate because based on his performance, his job is depending on it. He beats the G-Men I will legitimately be impressed but dont count on it. Bottom line, this week Carr either sh*ts or gets off the pot. Enough B.S. and enough free passes rhetoric.

8. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Member

I meant it as a positive comparison, not a negative. Plummer made the Pro Bowl in an optimal situation. Carr has his rating and better completion % in a worse situation. My whole point is the crit on Carr should be more directed as his team.

Hey, VY is 2-2 as a starter, a team hopeless and 0-3 before the change. Besides, noone expected VY to play this year, QBs have learning curves. Still, without knowing much about the pro game, he makes Tenn a more competitive team. I don't think Tenn would take any rookie over him--including Mr Bush, I'll tell you that.

Oh I think the Saints are in a positive direction. They will end 9-7 or 8-8, better than expected. But the supposed most untouchable uncatchable player since Gale Sayers hasn't looked like the best rookie running back, best running back on his team, or best rookie on his team, let alone slam dunk best overall rook that so many thought. The bags are not for all fans, just Bush jersey wearing ones. Maybe he will give them so of his 50+ mil pooring out of that franchise so they can get a refund.

9. hatemavs4life

hatemavs4life Member

D-Scar,

Instead of bags over heads, perhaps hold "I'm with stupid <arrow pointing ones> signs. :D

He'll get better, but he's no superstar.

10. rhino17

rhino17 Member

Much of the blame is going to Carr because this team has never been successful, made the playoffs or done anyhting close to that. What has been the one constant on this team trough all 5 years of it's existance? DAVID CARR. In five years he has done nothing. Dont tell that this crap that he has played well this year. He has played mediocre at best. Yes, not until this last game, he was not turning the ball over or costing us the game. Problem is, he isnt winning the game for us either. We need more than that from a quarterback. They need to do more than just manage a game, they need to have the ability to take over a game and lead a team to victory. And at the end of the day, David Carr has not and will not ever do that.

11. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate

great post

12. SamFisher

SamFisher Member

Exactly, and he is being paid and given the treatment of somebody who is.

For all the $$ and experience, fans have a right to expect more than just "well at least he didn't make any mistakes and you can't blame him for everybody else" at this point in his career.

13. HillBoy

HillBoy Member

I have been willing give Carr time to pull himself back together after literally getting being nuked for 4 years but on Sunday once again I saw something that really disturbed me: Carr looked (and looks) like a guy who has lost his confidence - he looks like HE doesn't believe that he really belongs in the league anymore. And if he has no confidence in himself, then why should anyone expect his teammates to have confidence in him? More importantly, how can you expect to win with a QB who has lost his confidence in himself? (Answer: You don't)

That's where I think the Texans find themselves today. They may not publicly say it but a bunch of guys have to be wondering if he is the one. To a man, the Titans will stand up and tell anyone who's listening that VY is just that yet as John McClain said on Sunday, he has NEVER heard one Texans player say the same about Carr. On Sunday, He came out scared to make a mistake in a huge statement game against golden boy VY and fell flat on his ass. Facing the last place defense in the entire NFL, he was benched and outplayed by a journeyman QB. I was struck by the dramatic difference between his level of play and that of VY & Sage. I think Lopez is dead on about this being a crossroads for Carr. Unless he starts leading this team to some wins, his tenure here is done and the Texans will literally be starting over from ground zero.

14. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Member

Tenn maybe, but the rest of the NFL I don't think so.

BTW, RBs have learning curves too. It is quite possible, especially since he is backing up Deuce, that Bush will be better later. You want to give VY every benefit of the doubt but not Bush. Why, because you are biased.

Bottom line- I hope Bush and VY are busts and Mario is the next Reggie White.

#174 Mr. Clutch, Nov 1, 2006
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2006
  15. msn

msn Member

I hope all three are great. I hope they go into the Hall of Fame. I hope Super Mario's Texans punks their asses every time he plays them. :D :D

16. msn

msn Member

OK, I won't. But he has.

17. thegary

thegary Member

didn't see this posted, from today's new york times:

Texans’ Carr Is an Enigma in Search of Consistency
    By THAYER EVANS
    Published: November 1, 2006

HOUSTON, Oct. 31 — When the Houston Texans selected David Carr as the top pick of the 2002 draft and the franchise’s first selection, he was supposed to be the cornerstone of the National Football League’s most recent expansion team.

Now into his fifth year as the team’s starting quarterback, Carr’s tenure has been troubled. He has been sacked 228 times, and his miscues have led to frequent booing by Texans fans, even those who wear his No. 8 jersey to home games.

Houston (2-5) has tried to build its offense around Carr, surrounding him with wide receivers Eric Moulds and Andre Johnson, the league’s leader in receptions and receiving yards, and running back Domanick Davis, who has not played this season because of injury. But the Texans’ game Sunday against the Giants (5-2) at Giants Stadium could be something of a crossroads for both the team and for Carr, a starter in 66 of the franchise’s 71 regular-season games.

During Houston’s 28-22 loss on the road to the Tennessee Titans last Sunday, Carr was benched early in the third quarter after his third turnover. His replacement, Sage Rosenfels, rallied the team by throwing for 186 yards and tying a team record with three touchdown passes.

The loss was particularly bitter for Texans fans, many of whom were displeased when the team, in April’s draft, passed over tailback Reggie Bush and quarterback Vince Young, a native Houstonian who led Texas to last season’s national championship.

The Texans selected defensive end Mario Williams with the No. 1 pick, and paid Carr an $8 million bonus to keep him through 2008. His opposing starting quarterback last Sunday was Young, who ran for a touchdown and threw for another.

“It means something to me, my family and all the fans back home in Houston,” Young said after the game.

Charlie Casserly, the Texans’ general manager who selected both Williams and Carr, remained adamant that the team made the right decisions. Before the loss to Tennessee, Casserly said Carr had been playing well this season. In a telephone interview, Casserly, now a studio analyst for CBS, said: “There’s no regrets at all. Zero at all. Absolutely not.”

Rosenfels’s impressive performance against the Titans continued the strong play he has displayed all season. Still, Gary Kubiak, the Texans’ first-year coach, announced that Carr would be the starter against the Giants.

“I’m going back to David because I know he’s the best thing for our football team,” Kubiak said Monday at a news conference. Indicating that the franchise was still committed to Carr, Kubiak added that Carr’s “growth process and his leadership and the type of player he becomes is what’s important to the Houston Texans and this franchise. I’m going to do everything I can to make him the best possible football player he can be."

Statistically, Carr, a 6-foot-3, 216-pound Fresno State product, is having his best season as a professional. He is completing an N.F.L.-best 70.5 percent of his attempts and has a quarterback rating of 94.3, which ranks sixth in the league.

He has thrown for 1,330 yards, with 9 touchdowns and 5 interceptions. He has also lost five fumbles, tied for the league lead. In his last four games, Carr has had seven turnovers. For his career, he has more interceptions (58) than touchdown passes (57).

“There’s confidence that I have to rebuild within myself going out there and making plays for the team and just realize that I’m not going to turn the ball over like that for them,” Carr said Monday in the Texans’ locker room.

His mistakes have hurt Houston in turnover margin; the team is tied for last in the N.F.L. at minus-9. But the two victories this season equal last year’s total.

Still, far more was expected from Kubiak in aiding Carr’s development — especially reducing his propensity for turnovers. Kubiak, a Houston native and the Denver Broncos’ offensive coordinator for 11 seasons, was hired by the Texans in January to replace Dom Capers and revamp the N.F.L.’s worst team last season.

A highly regarded offensive tactician who coached Steve Young and John Elway, Kubiak is credited with the maturation of Broncos quarterback Jake Plummer, whose play was often erratic before he signed with Denver in 2003.

Although Carr and Plummer both have strong arms and are capable runners, the two are different players, Kubiak said. He said that Carr was progressing, and insisted he was not disappointed in him.

“I think he’s done some real good things for a guy that’s going through this system for the first time,” Kubiak said. “How far did I expect him to go at this point? A long way, because the quicker he grows up and the quicker he becomes a great player, then the faster this football team can become a good, solid football team. So we have a ways to go. He’s not there yet. None of us are there. And we’re going to keep pushing to get him there.”

Gil Brandt, an analyst for NFL.com and a former Cowboys vice president of player personnel, said he was befuddled by Carr’s continued inconsistency, but said he believed Carr could still be a successful quarterback for a talent-rich team.

“I think maybe sometimes a guy doesn’t have the tenacity or is too nice a guy to really play to his capabilities,” Brandt said in a telephone interview. “He’s an enigma to me.”

Regardless, Texans tight end Mark Bruener said the team remained confident in Carr.

“His body language has really showed that he has not lost confidence in himself,” Bruener said. “I really think that he’s going to go out there Sunday and perform at the level that he’s performed at the previous games prior to Tennessee in the first half.”

For Carr, Sunday’s game in a hostile environment could be a step toward establishing himself as a quarterback. It could also be a big step for Kubiak, who is searching for his first road victory as an N.F.L. head coach.

“If you point a finger, there are always three of them pointing right back at you,” Kubiak said. “So it starts with me, and I have to do a better job.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/11/01/sports/football/01texans.html?_r=1&ref=sports&oref=slogin

18. updawg

updawg Member

How does Casserly's dumbass still keep popping up.

19. Summer Song Giver

100% agree with that.

also it mentions David's affect on the turnover margin but our craptastic secondary is more to blame for that.

/see i can say nice things about DC

20. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

are you seriously arguing that running backs have a learning curve equal to qbs. vince doesn't need the benfit of the doubt, he's 2-2 as a starter as a rookie, some qbs don't even get to start as rookies, and he's a reason why they win.

I know he only threw for 87 yard, that's what really counts. the thing I find funniest is that some of you guys still hanging on to bush should have gone ahead of young argued up and down that bush was more nfl ready because he is a back. bottom line, the guy has one td, on a punt return. he's behind vy, williams, and lienart.