1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ESPN] David Carr, right man to lead franchise

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Khal80, Oct 28, 2006.

1. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

They do see him in practice. I'm guessing professional GMs know much more about Sage Rosenfels and his potential than we do.

The guy's been in the NFL for six years. I'm guessing if he was so Super Duper, someone would be starting him at this time.

2. MadMax

MadMax Member

just like all those guys who passed up tom brady, right?

(for the record, i'm not saying sage is tom!!!!)

3. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

It's been six seasons. History is full of GMs who passed on players. Even the Patriots passed on Brady a few times. Super Duper Sage has been in the league for six seasons, the vast vast majority of that time as a backup. I'm sorry if I'm not ready to proclaim him better than David Carr after one good half, especially when Carr's only had two (maybe three) bad halves this year.

4. rhester

rhester Member

Great a quarterback controversy between Sage and David...

Now if we had drafted Vince I could understand...

But this is like have a controversy over should Yao start or should Deke start...

Says all I need to know about where David Carr is in his career, I still think he is every bit as effective as he was his rookie season.

5. MadMax

MadMax Member

i know you're not! :)

i still think they have a better chance to win with sage than with david. i don't know if that makes sage "better" or not.

6. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

It's not a controversy. Kubiak is starting Carr on Sunday. He apparently has actually watched him play this season and is not going to bench him when he's only had two or three bad halves.

It's only a controversy for those who have been waiting/hoping for Carr to have a half like he did Sunday. Super Duper Sage has been a backup for the vast majority of 6 seasons in the NFL. I'm glad Kubiak is our coach and not you guys.

7. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Member

I did not realize that you were a professional GM and I am truly sorry for disability ~ though I prefer to use the term 'differently abled'.

8. rhester

rhester Member

That was tongue and cheek. I want my franchise QB to keep a scrub off the field at the very least.

I haven't been a Carr fan for 4 yrs. Good and Bad games.

I don't like him as a QB, he is not a playmaker like Manning, Manning, Palmer, Breese, etc.

Wasted a #1 pick... although I had no idea at the time, I was trusting in C Casserly... but I dropped that professional GM after the 2nd draft.

Once I realized he was clueless as a talent evaluator.

Because 3 seasons ago I didn't think Carr had what it took I got all giddy when VY declared for the draft and we had the #1 pick.

It was a match made in heaven, another set up like the Rockets lucked into with Hakeem...

But NO we had to go with all the 'experts'.

Well most GM's are not experts, just look at the results. Few really put title contenders together.

Most do about as well as you or I could with a little help from internet sites.

9. HillBoy

HillBoy Member

That's what makes what happened yesterday so infuriating. This isn't the 2nd coming of Tom Brady or Peyton Manning we're talking about - it's Sage Rosenfels for chrissake. Yet when you look yesterday at how Carr handled himself and compare it to the way Rosenfels handled himself, who would you think was the no. 1 pick vs. the journeyman? This is a recurring theme with Carr - remember how badly he looked in Dallas? After yesterday, I am forced to admit that something is missing with him and I don't have a clue as to what can be done to get him to step up and start leading this team to some wins.

10. msn

msn Member

If you really believe this, the credibility of your arguments just took a serious hit.

11. jgreen91

jgreen91 Member

Last year when Tony Banks came in, he looked significantally better than David Carr. I think David Carr has been shoved down Houstonian's throats that we don't know any better until someone else comes in. Thats when we really see how bad this guy is.

At least the Lions organization finally realized it with Harrington, I wish the Texans organization weren't so stubborn when it comes to Carr.

12. jgreen91

jgreen91 Member

And has 60 fumbles.

13. gucci888

gucci888 Member

To be fair, the Lions replaced him with freak'n John Kitna so I don't know how much of an upgrade (if any) there was with that move. The Texans invested so much into Carr that I thought it was worth a shot to give Kubiak a chance to work with him. Carr has shown flashes of being a really good QB here and there.

But I do agree that the Texans need to start looking for a replacement. Whether they look at FA, trades, draft picks, Carr has been the one consistent with this franchise (except for McNair).

14. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Look, I am convinced the Texans should have taken VY...but...David Carr has been pretty good this year, and has made major strides.....

Let's see how he reacts to the benching......I applaud Kubiak for testing his metal.

DD

15. Summer Song Giver

I just threw up a little bit, how can you still hold any hope for this guy, his metal is aluminum.

16. Khal80

Khal80 Member

No one questioned DC being the first pick when we drafted. And he has not been labeled a bust.

This season was his season to show he is a starting qb, and two bad games does not make a him a backup qb.

and to all those saying we should have taken VY, he is not even the best qb taken in the draft. Leinart is better, and from the little i saw/hear about cutler. are two qbs that will be better than VY when it is all said an done.

you guys underestimate DC (or at least dont give him credit for), he never sat their and bit**ed about being sacked a record number of times when the oline was just horrible. He got up everytime and played, IMO that is leadership. The guy didnt take off his helmet when he was benched. I think he will be ready not only this coming sunday but for a few more years....get use to it haters

and leadership isnt dancing for teammate when they do something good on the field

17. Buck Turgidson

The word is "mettle".

18. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Member

we should start revoking posting privileges....

banks played in ONE game last year. he was 14/25 for 173 yards, 1 td and 2 ints... and the texans lost to the freaking SF 49ers.

19. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Member

sorry; forgot to add, "and had a 57.6 passer rating..."

20. Pocket Rockets

back to the drawing board for you, huh?
    Who cares if this guy has leadership qualities...the fact is he cannot perform when the game is on the line! Sometimes there are just players that get accustom(sp?) to losing and can't break out of it...lets just home the franchise isn't in that mindset.

i don't think he will last a couple more years as you say....if this team ends up with only 4 wins then i believe he is gone...the only way he comes back imo is if we end up 7-9 or .500 or better, which is highly unlikely.