1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ESPN] David Carr, right man to lead franchise

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Khal80, Oct 28, 2006.

1. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Member

3 in the 4th quarter against Indy. It's not just TDs. He had a 110 rating for the game against Jacksonville and several other games with a 95 plus rating.

2. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Did I ever say it wasn't? I'm not here saying he had a great game. He's still, IMO, one of the last things we need to worry about on this team.

You cannot argue against the fact that he has had to play for four years behind arguably the worst offensive line in NFL history. Nor can you argue the fact that he's had two bad games out of seven.

Put it this way, out of the Texans first seven games, they've played three teams with comparable talent. Out of those three games, we're 2-1 and David Carr played a terrible half in the loss. He played extremely well in one of the wins and average to above-average in the other. In the four losses against teams with a considerable talent advantage, he played average to above-average in three of them. I'd say the only game out of those four in which he didn't play average was the Dallas game.

That's not enough for me to hang the guy. Sure Sage came in and played well. If he was able to do that consistently, don't you think he'd be a starter somewhere? I'm guessing there's a reason why Super Duper Sage Rosenfels has been a career backup.

3. Major

Major Member

Yeah - frankly, I'm disappointed by that, but I understand it. I hope each time Carr sucks, they allow Sage to come in. It will help build up more evidence to figure out where the problem is. If Sage generally struggles as much as (or worse than) Carr, it tells us something. If we consistently do better with him, that tells us something as well. I would just like to find out one way or another, or you risk wasting next season as well.

4. MadMax

MadMax Member

i forgot about Indy..that's right.

i don't care about passer ratings. i care about TD's and interceptions.

5. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

RM95, what say you?

6. MadMax

MadMax Member

i wasn't sure if you were saying it was his fault or not.

i don't think sage is super. but i think what i saw yesterday casts serious doubt on all the excuses i've heard about carr.

7. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Member

Definitely, I agree with that. It looks like Kubiak isn't afraid to make changes. Heck, how long did Capers start Buchanon before he realized he sucked? 5 games? I'm glad Kubiak hold players accountable.

8. Stack24

Stack24 Member

That's one thing i really like. he pulls their leash and shows them they no one is untouchable. Hopefully it will get to them and they will see that at any time they can lose their job.

9. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

If that's the case, then why wouldn't the times where Carr has played that well cast serious doubts on the excuses. Carr has played that well before.

Again, if Super Duper Sage is so awesome, why is he a career backup?

10. Major

Major Member

Sure - but in 4 1/2 years, playing well at times is not really what you're looking for anymore. You're looking for consistent improvement over those years and has he really showed that?

Two possibilities

1. Perhaps for the same reason many really bad QBs are still starting - stubbornness.

2. He's never been behind a QB as bad as Carr (which would be saying a lot since he played in Miami for 4 years).

:D

11. Major

Major Member

You also realize you quoted a post that said "I don't think sage is super". :)

12. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I think there are valid reasons why there wasn't a lot of improvement from year 1 to year 4. I think there is definitely improvement this year. He's basically had two terrible halves of games out of 14.

This team is not 2-5 becuase of Carr. They'd be no better than 2-5 if Super Duper Sage, the journeyman backup QB had been starting.

13. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

I would disagree a tad here, I think they would have beaten the Titans yesterday if Sage played the whole game.

DD

14. rhester

rhester Member

Super Duper Sage is not awesome, he is only a journeyman backup and that says it all about D Carr.

The fact they are in this situation says all you need to know about Carr.

Here is a True and False quiz-

1. Super Duper Sage out played D Carr in yesterday's Titan's game.
    2. The head coach of the Texans benched D Carr because he didn't take care of the football and it was hurting the team.
    3. D Carr led the Texans to victory yesterday against the Titans, throwing 3 touchdown passes with no turnovers and the Texans are now 3-4 with a bright future.

15. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I'm not ready to take a half of a game by a journeyman backup QB and say that he'd have definitely played as well as Carr did in our two wins.

Sure, he played well, but it was only a half (and don't give me preseason stats where he was playing against second and third stringers).

16. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Member

If Sage is a journeyman backup then Carr should be playing Arena football.

17. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Yeah, you're right. Professional GMs are r****ded and internet armchair QBs are right. My bad.

18. Major

Major Member

But how will you ever know unless they play him?

19. Major

Major Member

So you think Casserly (a professional GM) made all the right moves? :)

20. MadMax

MadMax Member

i think you can make a pretty good case that the same GM who took David Carr was mentally unstable. :D