1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ESPN Dallas] Mavericks hope to face Rockets in first round

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by redhotrox, Apr 3, 2015.

1. thedude077

thedude077 Member

I think we can take them now. I'm sure Kevin Mchale, James Harden and the players that were on the team last year learned from last year's playoffs. And we have new better players. I think we have potential and leadership to get out of the first round this year. Bring it on!

2. the shark

the shark Member

I hope their wish comes true as that would mean we would win the division and be in the #2 seed.

3. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

I think Howard not playing a lot late in the season is going to bite the Rockets. He will get in and may be more disruptive chemistry-wise than productive. And, I think the Mavs have more potential than the Rockets to keep getting better. We basically know what the Rockets are at this point...with and without Dwight. The Mavs haven't completely gelled. That's one thing that may work in our favor...is the Mavs are still sporadic. But, if they have multiple guys shooting well and, with Tyson in the middle, then they can be a difficult team to beat. They have potentially more quality players in their lineup than we have on ours...if they are playing to their potential. But, if you can't get past the Mavs in the first round, then who can you get past? Rockets are used to first round exits. Only they can buck that trend. Is this the season they do? We will see but I'll believe it when I see it and not one second before. The series is going to come down to the play of one guy really...and that is James Harden. If he plays lights out, then Rockets win. If he is contained, then Rockets are in trouble. Good luck!

4. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

The Mavs media hasn't seen a lot of Rockets games and the Rockets ugly wins over the Mavericks must seem flush to them. Unfortunately for them it's a consequence of the Rockets injuries and versatility. They conceive of the Rockets of being the run first shoot first squad of 2 years ago. While they are still capable of that, they are also equally comfortable grinding it out in the end thanks largely to the individual brilliance of Harden and a solid group of defenders, aND in fact tend to do it a lot hence the small margin ofor victory. That's also why they've lost 3 out of 4 to them this year.

5. YallMean

YallMean Member

Really??? How much better do you expect the Mavs can play than last night. Granted, Parsons didn't play in the second half, neither Dwight. They were hitting their shots, but late in the game, we could just get to the rim. That's the difference. I am honestly not scared by Dallas at all. We didn't even play our best basketball last night and yet still won pretty convincingly. They have chemistry to figure out, so do we. It's not like Josh and Corey were playing Harden for 5 seasons already. I would be really surprised if the Mavs could take us to 6 and not fold.

6. YallMean

YallMean Member

At least some Mav fans don't like to face us, not more than the Griz.

7. ooooaaaah!

ooooaaaah! Member

There rebounding is killing them. Even though they are a low turnover team, they still end up shooting less field goal no matter who they play. Dirk and Parson are a disaster on the rebounding end.

8. YallMean

YallMean Member

Injury reports from idiot Mav fans . :D

9. spankz141

spankz141 Member

You have to make Dirk play defense. Whoever he is guarding has to attack and create plays for others or score.

10. solodolo11

solodolo11 Member

The mavs took the Spurs to 7 games last year. So they shouldn't be underestimated. I don't care who the rockets play, I just want them to show up and play hard and win. If we want to win a ring we have to actually beat really good teams. So I'm ready for us to face whoever. What ever happens, happens.

11. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

That was pre Rondo and Parsons. They are both mediocre one side of the ball, and terrible on the other side.

If Dirk's flailing doesn't foul out our big men we are OK.

12. Nook

Nook Member

Has Howard disrupted the Rockets chemistry since coming back?

The Mavericks have more upside? They have been relatively healthy and are less talented so I don't see how you reach that conclusion.

The Mavericks have more to gel? Hmm the team that has had unbelievable injuries has more upside to gel or the Mavs? Come on.

Maybe... The Mavs are just what they are, a 7th seed team.

13. afk

afk Member

Mavs gonna eat their words when a Jason Terry dagger eliminates them. :)

14. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

LOL

Without Durant and Ibaka OKC will be lucky to take any West team to 6 games.

They'll win a game or two thanks to Westbrook if they move up to 7. They are getting swept by GSW.

Rockets could even sweep them. Put Ariza on Westbrook to slow him down. They have NO post defense...and we have Jones/Smith/Dmo/Howard...for Enes Kanter, one of the worst post defenders and paint protectors in the game.

If they had Durant and Ibaka of course...but Durant is out and i'm not sure about Ibaka.

15. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Who cares what Dallas wants. If we play them we're going to take them out like the trash.

16. vstexas09

vstexas09 Contributing Member

C'mon now. Let's not have a repeat of last year, where we thought Portland would be a breeze.

Anything can happen. I just hope our guys are prepared.

17. Crashlanded19

Crashlanded19 Member

Mav fans are most r****ded fans in basketball. Also the new found warriors fans are a very close second.

Did they not see Terrence Jones play last night?

18. bluffkin

bluffkin Member

Howard vs. Chandler Advantage - Houston, Howard is clearly the better player

Dmo/Tjones/Smith vs. Nowiztki/Amare/Charlie Advantage - Dallas, slightly Dirk still has it but our big three are all capable of going off.

Ariza/Brewer vs. Parsons/RJ Advantage - Houston, Parsons is very good but
    Brewer and Ariza do so many good things for this team

Harden vs. Ellis Advantage - Houston

Terry/Prigioni vs Rondo/Harris/Barea/Felton Disadvantage - both Teams, PGs are net negatives to their team but I think Terry will give it his all during this series don't be surprised if he wins us a close game or two. Rondo is a terrible fit with two other guys who want the ball in their hands. And the rest of these guys listed are hot garbage.

19. bluffkin

bluffkin Member

On paper we look like the better team but when they have gone head to head all of the games came down to the last minute but Howard has only participated in one game.

I expect the series won't go more than 5-6 games in favor of Houston. Dallas just really isn't that good. Of all the playoff teams they have the least talent and don't have anyone who can take over a game like Portland did with Aldridge and Lillard last season.

In the playoffs you can't get by with playing guys like Jefferson, Villinuavea, Barea, and Harris.

Aminu and Parsons are the only ones who scare me. Dirk will get his 16 to 18 points.

20. Crashlanded19

Crashlanded19 Member

They also don't have many big men. Amare is their back up center. We have 4 starting quality big men.