1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ESPN Dallas] Mavericks hope to face Rockets in first round

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by redhotrox, Apr 3, 2015.

1. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Our superstars have proven that they go past the first round.

We don't have a superstar who talks through Stephen a smith

He speaks with 50 point games

2. Sydeffect

Sydeffect Member

Sorry to double post, but to add on:

In the playoffs, teams will have much much more time to game plan to slow down a single player. You need production from other scorers to relieve the pressure. Lebron who was incredible in the playoffs with the Cavs wasn't enough to win it.

In the playoffs, they will take away Harden's favorite angles, make him play more on the right side of the court (he shoots slightly worse), collapse on him, play physical while maintaining a consistent gameplan.

It's going to be the job of everyone else on the court to punish each move they make to stop Harden whether it's them cheating off a shooter or Dwight.

Then there are going to be games where Harden simply doesn't have the touch, and you need someone else to take over.

3. got em COACH

got em COACH Contributing Member

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  4. Sydeffect

Sydeffect Member

You're right that we have had people that have scored for us,but inn half court sets who is consistently doing the scoring for us outside of Harden?

I could be completely wrong, but this is just my opinion:

Dmo- He's good at scoring, but isn't demanding enough

Ariza - He's been very good for us at a secondary PnR handler, but he won't be as effective unless he's consistently hitting jump shots the defense is giving him.

Smoove- He can attack the rim and pass out to find the open shooter, but his finishing ability for some reason has been poor for his standards. He's also not a great post player, but he does have some skill.

Terry - Virtually useless if he isn't hitting his 3 point shot

Pablo Prigioni - He's good at directing the offense and I'm comfortable with him as the PG. Still think we need to close the games with him instead of Terry.

Brewer is hit or miss in half court situations. At times he takes too many bad mid-range shots. Sometimes he can get it going and hit or go on bad runs. He's best coming off screens or backdoor cuts.

Jones is an elite finisher around the rim, but he doesn't have a lot of ability to consistently create for himself. He can get to the rims at times, but can also just dribble dribble trying to get by his man.

5. photojoe

photojoe Member

Also, the article wasn't talking about which team was more talented. The Rockets and Grizzlies have basically the same record even though the Rockets have way more games missed by their important players.

What the article was saying is the Mavericks like the matchup against the Rockets style of play much more than the Grizzlies style of play. Not that the Rockets aren't as talented of a team.

6. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

First off, don't call me stupid. I never said we was going anywhere without Dwight. I stated that we learned how to win without Dwight. Regular season that is. And Morey finding a way by adding Brewer and Smith is the reason.

And if did happen to go into the playoffs, and win a series without Dwight, we gon keep saying we won without Dwight?

And if we lose we gon say, oh well we didn't have Dwight?

7. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

I definitely agree that with Dwight we're better. I never suggested we were better without him.

8. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

I agree with you on 100% to a point! I don't think were are vastly superior WHEN we continue to use him as a post up player! I like Howard, but I get a knot in my stomach every time we try to post him up! He's fantastic at protecting the rim, alley-oops, pick-rolls and rebounding but not posting up! He either misses the shot or gets fouled, either way we end up with 0-1 points from his posts!

9. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

The Rox wants to run a lots, if Dwight is healthy, I would rather play the Spurs and Grizz.

The Mavs is a poor man version of GSW, they like to run also, not a matchup you will prefer.

10. JHarden713

JHarden713 Member

Except Mavs suck defensively

When we D'd up in last 7 minutes, game over

Mavs will lose in the first round, they're similar to us last year, great offense with no defense. We saw how that worked out in the playoffs

11. jev5555

jev5555 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

[​IMG]

Old wounds, still have not healed.

12. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

**** donaughey and that whole ****ing crew.

13. YallMean

YallMean Member

Do we want to play the defending champ Spurs?

14. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Worried about tony parker

15. JHarden713

JHarden713 Member

and Kawhi guarding Harden

16. YallMean

YallMean Member

I think we are a better team head to head than the Mavs. They can say all they want, but just watch the kind shots they are getting vs. the ones we are getting. They can try all they want to stop Harden, we still have Ariza, Corey and Josh that can get to the rim. Look at their team, outside Monta they just don't have one that can go to rim consistently. Parson can occasionally, but we all know what he is really about. At the end, in a series against the Mavs, I am confident we will beat them. Just steady flow of rim runs and threes, they cannot handle, not athletic enough and too old.

17. Johndoe804

Johndoe804 Member

I hope so, too. I've been saying this since the beginning of the season. I want to see Terry drill a game winner to close the series over Chandler Parsons who missed the coverage yet again. Poetic justice.

18. jev5555

jev5555 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Howard was a beast in the playoffs last year. Not sure if he'd be able to turn it on like he did last year, but any team not equipped to guard him should be worried. Spurs especially.

19. YallMean

YallMean Member

If we face the Spurs, Parker is a pain. I would start Corey and maybe have TJones play some three. On the other end, I think our front line is better, but less experienced, and easily rattled. If we can somehow have Josh and DMO stay calm and do the thing they do best, I like our chances. I really do simply because we have the BEARD.

20. lastreg

lastreg Member

Butterfly effect. This play/bad call changed the history of YAO/Mac history forever. If that year we had gone deep in the playoff run, we could attract more quality free agents joining us, YAO/Mac might not need play lot minutes and we might ultimately win a champ. But everything changed from that moment.