1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ESPN Dallas] Mavericks hope to face Rockets in first round

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by redhotrox, Apr 3, 2015.

1. JHarden713

JHarden713 Member

He'll play 30+ in the playoffs for sure (if healthy)

2. Nick_713

Nick_713 Member

Both teams came off a Back-2-Back, but WE were coming off another "4 games in 5 nights" stretch.

3. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

What'll be funny if we play them and beat them. Then they would've lost in the playoffs in back to back years against in state rivals

4. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

If we lose to the Mavs in another playoff series....

.... I will delete the internet.

5. wfeebs

wfeebs Member

That's the one reason why I'm iffy on playing them. We obviously would be the favorite, but on the off chance they win, It would be the worst possible thing to happen.

6. s.b713

s.b713 Member

Oh man a series against Dallas would be so awesome, Lets go Rockets!. Lets get that 2nd seed

7. Nook

Nook Member

I don't think the article was very fair honestly.

First, the Rockets were without Howard in 3 of the 4 games.... indeed Howard has played a total of 18 minutes all year against the Mavericks.

Also the shots against McHale were interesting, as this season McHale and his staff has made in game adjustments against Carlisle and the Mavericks and the Mavericks have failed to adjust. Does that mean the same thing would happen in the playoffs? I don't know..... but for as good a coach as Carlisle (and he is a very good coach) he and his staff have not countered well against the Rockets.

I do agree that if I am the Mavericks, I would rather face the Rockets over Memphis. It isn't that the Grizzlies are more talented (they are not), it is that the Rockets have not proven themselves in the playoffs.

8. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

Nah we been talking ***** to each other all year. There's no way we not play them or not want to play them because they might win then you feel salty. They're who I've been wanting the rockets to play all year. We been talking, they've been talking and like the article says, let's settle it on the court finally.

9. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Thats why I aint even mad. Its our most favorable matchup, which also so happens that we are theirs. Except I go into this series with very slight pessimism unlike in years past.

No, but youve been riding their jock hard, for awhile now coming from another thread. Just stop man. Have some faith in our team, we're not the same team as years past.

Ill admit that I havent read much of his lately but when you add this type of writing in your article:
    Although the truth, very deceptive. He couldve have said won by an average of 5 or excluding an 11 point win from the mavs or even played the mavs closely but when you write crap like that, I have no respect.

Ive always viewed him from his past articles as very biased and it showed in his writings. His tweets make him seem like a old man in a crisis that wants to be viewed as a hip and cool guy that meshes as one of the players. Stick to writing and stop being a douche. I dont know, maybe its just me.

10. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

We have an argument on this but this is being overblown now imo. We learned how to play without Dwight. We became a deeper team. We can't continue to use this.

11. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

we have a better chance of winning against the mavs compared to the spurs

but rather lose to the spurs than the mavs

12. Nook

Nook Member

It isn't an excuse. The Rockets are a vastly superior team with Howard on the court, especially defensively. The Rockets struggle greatly on the boards and stopping post scoring.

Why did the Rockets win without Howard? Well everyone knows about Howard, but what isn't discussed is that Morey found another way to get easy baskets without another star..... transition with three long and athletic wings in Brewer, Smith and Ariza.

13. Sydeffect

Sydeffect Member

With a healthy Dwight and Dmo Rockets win the series in 3

14. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

you stupid if you think we going anywhere in the playoffs without dwight

15. apollo33

apollo33 Member

whatever it's really pick your poison for every team in the West except for GS

every team can try to justify which team is relatively easier, but in the end we all know there are no easy matchups for anyone.

16. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I don't get that from him at all. He gets killed by Dallas fans because he openly questions Carlisle in press conferences. He questioned him hard on them trading for Rondo and then not playing him down the stretch of games....Carlisle fought back and tried to ignore the question, but Tim kept with it to get an answer. I think he's a good reporter.

And he openly acknowledges on twitter it's not his job to be liked by the players or coaches. He's very literally said that. Rondo and him have gotten into it...and he'll respond with, "he has a job to do, and so do I." I don't get any bit of him cozying up to the players to look cool....quite the opposite actually.

And of course he's biased. He writes for ESPNDallas. He's writing for an audience, to be sure. They only hire local guys for those gigs. And MacMahon grew up there. But I follow him on twitter, and he's certainly not a homer. I think he's a great source for what's going on with the Mavs, frankly.

17. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

Post is ignorant. Rockets are indisputably substantially superior with Dwight vs without Dwight. Some people underrate Dwight now after forgetting what he does for our team. He anchors our D, deters players from driving into the paint, is great at rebounding, and draws double teams and fouls. If he sticks to the PnR, we will be incredible during the playoffs. Without Dwight, we take more penetration than a cheap hooker.

18. photojoe

photojoe Member

To be honest, I don't think Dallas is the best matchup for us either.

Don't get me wrong. I think we would win. And the Western Conference is insane, so there isn't any easy matchups.

But Dallas would be a tough one for us.

19. Sydeffect

Sydeffect Member

People are deluding themselves if they think we will win without Dwight scoring well in the post. We need a 2nd option badly in this offense. We aren't the Spurs or Warriors who move the ball around very very well. Our offense flows when one of our star players is demanding attention, then playing of off them.

We also need him to score in the post. We need somebody else besides Harden to do the scoring for us.

Dwight posting up is fine as long as you don't force-feed him several possessions straight. It ruins our offensive flow and pace. Like they give to Dmo sporadically and within the flow of the offense. Doing the same for Dwight will help.

There will be games Harden doesn't get it going, and we have no other players that can consistently attack the rim (and finish AKA Josh) from the perimeter. So we need to rely on post play of DMo/Dwight.

MVP Harden play, and 75% of last playoff Dwight will take us at least to a WCF berth.

20. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

And we've been getting that a lot...from a few different guys; not just one.