1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ESPN: D. Stoudamire close to buyout - Celtics top suitor

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Williamson, Jan 19, 2008.

1. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

And the rich get richer. I was skeptical about the Celtics depth, but they made some solid moves adding Posey, House and Pollard. If they add Damon Stoudamire to their roster, I honestly don't see how they can be stopped. The article also mentions Sam Cassell could be bought out or traded. Again, add Cassell to the Celtics and they're unbeatable. Hell, at 32-6 they've been damn near unbeatable anyway.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3204305

2. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Either guy would help them. Sam would help them more but the concern is his health. It's likely he will break down later on this season.

3. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

GSW might get Damon. Maybe even PHX or Dal (Dal contends for everyone)?

4. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

unless he 'Robert Horry' his season.

I imagine Cassell is the preferred player because he's played with Ray (some scrubs here don't know this) and KG for many years.

5. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Would love to see Sam with the Celts. Bitter sweet. But still...

6. Yaozer

Yaozer Member

I don't see him much of an upgrade from Rondo. I guess he's all they can get right now.. contract-wise and all.

7. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

They don't need an upgrade from Rondo. They need someone else who can play the point position and run their offense when Rondo isn't in the game. Eddie House and Tony Allen are better off the ball than at the point. When the playoffs start and their rotation tightens up, PP and Ray Allen could do it but they need a fill-in for the regular season.

8. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Sam would be a great fit because he wouldn't have to log a lot of minutes and could be fresh for the playoffs.

9. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Exactly. He doesn't even have to start. They just need a quality back up PG.

10. krnxsnoopy

krnxsnoopy Contributing Member

Man, if Sam goes to Celtics I think they overtake Spurs as favorites. Atleast in my opinion.

Damon was good ten years ago but right now it won't be that much of an improvement. But Cassell could be the difference maker. Sam Cassell is awesome.

11. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

I have a feeling the Celtics choke in the playoffs. Just like how the Patriots won't go all the way. :D

12. krnxsnoopy

krnxsnoopy Contributing Member

Patriots will.. Celtics won't :D

13. TBar

TBar Contributing Member

Bittersweet would be right- as a long time Rockets fan I will always feel resentment toward the Celtics. In '81 and '86 when we lost to them in the finals- I thought Larry Bird showed a lack of class in his disrespect toward the Rockets. He complained bitterly about many issues including officiating - when I thought a Rocket could look at him wrong and Bird would get the benefit call. Bird was pissed because the Celtics did not sweep the Rockets in '86. I recall him braggging about how good the Summit was for his shooting and how it did not benefit the Rockets.

I like Garnet and Ray allen, but do not like the Celtic Legend

I respect Bird as a shooter-the way he could run the break and tempo of the game and great competitor, but did not like him and think he is over rated when declared one of the top 3 all time greats with Jordan and Magic

I realize this is off topic- but wanted to explain my reason for really not liking the Celtics

14. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Fair price to pay IMO to watch Cassell get a shot and a meaningful role.

15. Jturbofuel

Jturbofuel Member

I've been reading expect Sam to be bought out sometimes in Feb and he wants to be with the Celtics. Its going to happen the question is when and not if.

16. Asian Sensation

IMO Cassell would be the final piece to the puzzle for the Celtics.

17. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

We need Sam. Offer the Clips Hayes, Francis, and Snyder for Cassell. $4.8 million in expiring contracts and Hayes for $8 million over the next 4 years.

18. Yaozer

Yaozer Member

Don't know what's been happening with these two and someone here said Cassell's health could be a problem.. but hasn't Stoudamire been the same, health-wise?

19. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

Meh. Give them Brent Price, Mario Elie, and Kevin Willis for Damon Stoudamire. You could probably get them to throw in Walt Williams too. I wouldn't hesitate to include Roderick Rhodes in the deal either if they asked, though I know some of you here worship the guy for some odd reason.

20. NightHawk

NightHawk Member

Man...some of you people are clueless.

This sounds like all the people saying that Steve Francis and Luis Scola were going to be the "missing peices" to make the Rox a championship contender.

I don't think the Celtics are that great and I don't think they would beat Phoenix, Detroit, Dallas or San Antonio in a 7 game series.