1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ESPN]Cuban extends invitation to Britney Griner

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by bullardfan, Apr 2, 2013.

1. bullardfan

bullardfan なんでやねん

http://espn.go.com/dallas/nba/story...-brittney-griner-opportunity-dallas-mavericks

Cuban may draft Brittney Griner<spoiler></spoiler>
    <spoiler>Updated: April 2, 2013, 11:08 PM ET
    <cite class="source"> By Tim MacMahon | ESPNDallas.com</cite>

LOS ANGELES -- Dallas Mavericks owner Mark Cuban would be willing to give Baylor women's star Brittney Griner the opportunity to prove she could play in the NBA.
    Cuban said he would consider selecting Griner, a 6-foot-8 three-time All-American and Big 12 player of the year, in the second round of the NBA draft. If the Mavs don't draft her, Cuban said he would have "no problem whatsoever" inviting Griner to try out for a spot on Dallas' summer league team.

"If she is the best on the board, I will take her," Cuban said before the Mavs' Tuesday night game against the Los Angeles Lakers. "I've thought about it. I've thought about it already. Would I do it? Right now, I'd lean toward yes, just to see if she can do it. You never know unless you give somebody a chance, and it's not like the likelihood of any late-50s draft pick has a good chance of making it."

Griner dominated women's college basketball with her size and athleticism, scoring 3,283 points and blocking 748 shots in her career. She also had 18 dunks, including 11 her senior season.
    A woman trying out for an NBA team is not unprecedented. Former UCLA star Ann Meyers tried out for the Indiana Pacers in 1979.
    Cuban said it's difficult to evaluate whether Griner could play in the NBA because of the caliber of her competition, comparing it to scouting players from small schools. However, Cuban said he was absolutely serious about at least extending an invitation for Griner to try out this summer.

"She'd still have to make the team," Cuban said. "I'm not going to carry her just to carry her. I don't think, anyways. But I certainly wouldn't be opposed to giving her the opportunity."
    Cuban acknowledged that Griner playing in the NBA's Las Vegas summer league would have tremendous marketing potential.
    "It would, wouldn't it? See how she could do?" Cuban said. "That'd sell out a few games."</spoiler>

2. Juxtaposed Jolt

You know, why not?

If Griner doesn't do well...it's okay, because we don't expect her to do well anyway.

If Griner dominates summer league, that should warrant at least a spot in D-League.

3. Nice Rollin

Nice Rollin Contributing Member

Yao would've ate her lunch

4. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

She's 6'7 and can nearly dunk. She wouldn't even make it in Europe

5. jvu

jvu Member

cuban's clever marketing technique. The man is brilliant. He knows she won't make it, but gives her an offer that would pull in millions of national and internationally.

6. CaptainRox

CaptainRox Member

Nah. If she proves me wrong and could hold her own as a pf kudos! But man dominating woman's basketball is different from mens college bball

7. Anxiety Trooper

This.

8. khanhdum

khanhdum Member

i'd watch the first game and watch her fail and then move on

9. clippy

clippy Member

A woman could make the NBA but she'd have to be a great shooter in the Steve Kerr mold. Griner is dominant because of her size and athleticism, but against NBA plays (or even male college players), she'd be below average. This is obviously a gimmick by Cuban.

10. prs325

prs325 Member

Big Baby would eat her sandwich

11. Thefabman

Thefabman Member

lol cuban trollin

12. Laffy Daffy

Laffy Daffy Member

LOL they need to create a basketball league with retired NBA vets and WNBA players. Screw the WNBA. It would be called the RPWNBA. Retired Persons and Womens National Basketball Association.

13. Rodman23

Rodman23 .GIF

he look ok

[​IMG]

14. Pieman2005

Pieman2005 Member

I see what you did there...!

In all seriousness, and no disrespect, why does Griner have an Adam's apple?

15. BEAT LA

BEAT LA Member

Guess you gotta find gimmicks to sell tickets now that your team is lottery bound for the next few years, Marky Mark.

I can imagine a few new female reporters confusing Dirk in the locker room for the new girl NBA player from behind.

16. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Didn't mark give 10 day contracts to a couple of random mavs fans at one point? I hope she gets a try out and its televised

17. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

This is a joke.

18. bloodwings19

bloodwings19 Member

If there was female player who can try to make it to the NBA, it is her. There is no one in the future who can do this except her.

19. superfob

superfob Mommy WOW! I'm a Big Kid now.

Marketing genius. Think about it, Lin only taps into like 15-20% of the population at best. If you could appeal to 50%, $$$!

20. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

She won't make it. Not by a mile.