1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ESPN College Gameday] #1 Texas vs. #11 Missouri

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by swyyyguy, Oct 16, 2008.

1. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

I was at Lucky's Pub downtown to watch the game last night with the alumni association. What a buttwhoopin'. Fun times.

2. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

I guess that's why I generally like the NFL better. Any given Sunday applies, but any given Saturday does not. Meaning, the talent level is more evenly spread out in the NFL therefore more interesting games. I honestly enjoy watching 2 similarly mid talented college teams go at it then some regular powerhouse beat up some mid level talent college team, unless said powerhouse gets upsetted by lesser talented team. I mean, who but the students and alumnis would enjoy watching UT beat the crap out of Rice and Florida Atlantic by 40 plus points?

So in a way I was rooting for Mizzou in a David vs Goliath way, but again didn't really care at the same time. And I don't want to get into "it wasn't really David vs Goliath epic proportion" argument, we already established Mizzou has lesser talent.

Yeah my rant is old news.

3. Major

Major Member

What top tier teams do you consider to play tough schedules then? There aren't many teams in the nation that have the talent of UT, OU, USC, and Florida. And those teams don't play each other. By your definition, no good team plays a tough schedule. :confused:

4. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

Read my post above yours, it explains my stance on college football in general.

5. Major

Major Member

That's fine - and I agree that the vast majority of college football games are a waste for the top tier teams for that reason. But here, you seem to be saying it's something specific to UT:

Isn't this UT's modus operandi throughout the years? Beat up on inferior talented teams but get outclassed by similar powerhouse college teams?

Granted it was Colt's first year, but typical UT football that I remember is UT beating up on some hapless sister of poor college team (56-7 vs North Texas at the time), then next game get shown reality by similar powerhouse college team (Ohio State serving them humble pie 24-7).

Why point out UT does it if all the other teams do it too?

6. mrdave543

mrdave543 Contributing Member

Just got back from austin, what a game!! I won't pretend I thought we would be this good before the season started either. I'm amazed at what Colt has done and can't wait for next wknd!!

Hook em!

7. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

Not the beating the crap out of lesser talented teams part, but more on the getting outclassed by similar powerhouse teams, VY's teams the recent exceptions. I've sorta always thought UT were big game choke artists against other big name colleges throughout the years.

Plus it's a UT thread, I'm only about 3 hours away from UT and I live in a city with many UT alumnis. I guess I should comment about USC's failures to be objective, but then I'd be accused of hijacking and/or stir up more no respect comments from the respect deprived fans/alumnis/students/NFL deprived Austinites. *tongue in cheek*

8. jasonemilio

jasonemilio Member

You're the first UT fan here that has made sense so far, so I respect you.

And I just want to retract that previous statement I made about Vince Young because apparently a lot of you UT fans still like Vince (as do I). So sorry-there. But I still think Mccoy is a better overall player, in part due to the fact that he is a much more accurate passer despite not possessing that cannon arm strenth that Vince has. If Mccoy wins the Heisman this year (which seems pretty likely now), he would deserve it 100%.

9. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

woah woah woah. the 2005 offense is one of the greatest offenses to ever step on the field in college football. basically up there with '95 nebraska, '83 nebraska, and '05 usc.

granted, this current offense is putting up some absurd numbers as well and is pretty close to the '05 team's 50 ppg, but that offense was still more powerful (mostly because it was more talented at qb, rb, o-line, and TE). the thing is, colt is pretty much a surgeon right now and so our short and mid-range passing game is moving us down the field amazingly well, but that '05 team could just break out a 30, 40, or 50 yard play at any given time and racked up the 3 and 4 play TD drives. at separate times we had streaks of 6, 7, and 8 straight possessions with a TD. we beat kansas, the #6 ranked defense in the nation, 52-0... in the first half! finished the season scoring 62, 66, 40, and 70.

and we did most of it while doing everything we could to keep vince from getting injured, basically only really unleashing his running in 4 games. so as good as this O is, the '05 offense was on another level (although i would be happy to be proven wrong).

10. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

he went to a crap school and he's just jealous that the passion for college football is way stronger than for the NFL.

Not everyone cares so much for the city they live in cause people can always move , but your school is always with you forever

i mean who the hell brings up the NFL on on thread called "COLLEGE GAMEDAY", just jealous suckers to me.

Sounds like one of those PETA people pissed off at KFC.

11. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

^^^lmao, the annoying one gets annoyed, taste your own medicine :D

12. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

Props to Cat for coming into the thread and eating his plate of crow. Much respek.

13. tinman

Supporting Member

keep dreaming v2.0,
    they don't have football games at HCC, so I'm sorry.

14. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

you even downgraded me, I feel so pwned, just like this guy...

[​IMG]

And I ran, I ran so far away.
    I just ran, I ran all night and day.
    I couldn't get away.

15. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

By the way, I also hope that everyone knows I'm cheering for UT the rest of the way (well, except in the rematch, if we beat KU). Definitely no hard feelings. I grew up a diehard Longhorn fan, and for the most part, I still am -- I was in the stands in the Cotton Bowl just a week ago in burnt orange. :) So, while I'm crushed to see my school humiliated in that fashion, I give all the credit in the world to the Longhorns and am generally happy for all the success they're having.

I've had an upper level seat for two straight weeks watching Colt (great angle to watch plays develop), and I can't begin to express how amazed I am at his ability to go through progressions. Really, unless you have an out of this world defense, college receivers are going to get open in a spread system. But usually, if you can take away the primary and secondary options, college quarterbacks aren't smart enough to make their reads, especially when they're under pressure. It doesn't matter what looks you throw at him -- Missouri mixed it up a lot. Didn't do a bit of good. He's like a computer, and quite honestly he's playing at as high a level right now as any college QB I've ever seen.

I also think, despite the criticism he usually gets, that Greg Davis deserves a lot of respect for the last two weeks. Texas hasn't typically been a full-blown spread team (they are to an extent, but still feature some power running and tight end action). But when Irby went down, instead of trying to replace him with inexperienced backups, they adapted on the fly and utilized the strengths they had (depth of athletic, fast receivers). Combine that with Colt's machine-like ability to read defenses quickly, and it's a brilliant adjustment.

With all that said, the painful thing is that Chase has many of those same attributes... when he's not on the run and scared for his life. To whoever mentioned it earlier in the thread, no, Daniel isn't coming back -- he's a senior. So is Coffman. Maclin will likely leave early for the NFL. Yes, clearly Missouri needs better overall talent (and fortunately, their recruiting has looked strong the last two years), but it's rare for anyone (much less Missouri) to get the kind of talent at the skill positions that the Tigers have had the last two years, and we know it.

So if I or any other Missouri fans seemed stubborn in the past week, that's why. This was our shot for the near future. There's no next year, or promises of top 5 recruiting classes, so losing with the kind of skill position talent we have now is a bitter pill to swallow. Yes, it would still be a successful season if we won the Big 12 and won a BCS game, so certain things are still on the table. However, it's hard to take that very seriously given what happened last night. I don't care if it's 20 degrees and snowing at Arrowhead in December... I see no reason to think our defense is capable of making a stop. This is you guys' year, I think.

16. Major

Major Member

Colt has an amazing ability on the run to know exactly where open guys are. Most guys, once they start scrambling, they might have one potential receiver or focus on the run - Colt actually seems to know where everyone is. I have no idea how he pulls that off. Normally, it's really difficult to keep driving going when you're mostly throwing short and intermediate passes with a limited running game, but Colt manages to do it extremely well.

I'm also impressed that somewhere in the middle of the OU game, Texas went to the no-huddle offense with 4-wide, and then continued it all throught yesterday's game. It seemed like part of the "whatever you can do, I can do better" game that Stoops and Brown seemed to be playing with some of the playcalling. Ever since Texas made that move, the offense has been virtually unstoppable. I also have to say thank you to Greg Davis for adopting the "if it's 3rd and 3, run all the receivers at least 3 yards" philosophy. If the kept a stat for how many passing 1st downs are converted less than 1 yard past the chains, it seems like Texas would set some crazy records.

17. tinman

Supporting Member

v-.33333333

That guy was chosen by God to lead the Rockets and the city of Houston to greatness, just because the injustice of society has decided to shackle God's son doesn't mean he's not God's son.

Anytime anyone speaks badly of his son, he curses the organization. don't jinx the Rockets dude.

Plus, you are just jealous cause you talking NFL on a college thread, I mean maybe you didn't go to college. I'm sorry.

18. flipmode

flipmode Member

the only fault i see with mizzou is the line play. they just came out flat. Daniel is a solid college QB, but with an outclassed line, he had no time to make plays.

remember rhett bomar? look at his shsu stats. his line is doing him no favors.

19. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

I didn't start this thread. I just threw in my 2 cents, don't get in a tizzy cause a crap NFL team like the Texans can run over a college team like UT because at the end of the day, men are men and college boys from UT are open minded.

I'm a UT Grad, in a UT world.
    Life in plastic, it's fantastic!
    You can brush my hair, undress me everywhere,
    Imagination, life is your creation!
    Come on tinman, let's go party!

No offense intended to the rest of the UT followers. tinman is just being a barbie girl right now.

20. tinman

Supporting Member

And a Team like the Texans can move to California like the Oilers moved to Nashville.

Hey there's no owner of the college teams, its a school. which is the place i'm taking you to here GPA 2.0.

the NFL's success is DIRECTLY linked to college football where you can actually see players develop for at least 3 years.

If they went to the nba system of grabbing kids not men, then the NFL would be the worst league ever.

And the fact you are hating on college sports which actually has team spirit, and comparing the traditions of the University of Texas, like 100 years of football in the same city and state vs
    an expansion team, which is NOT EVEN the most popular team in the city. I believe the COWGIRLS are. and NOT EVEN the ORIGINAL FOOTBALL TEAM that the city, that would be the OILERS
    shows you that you are just a jealous hater of schools

As Shaq would say "Tell me how dez nuts taste!"