1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ESPN College Gameday] #1 Texas vs. #11 Missouri

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by swyyyguy, Oct 16, 2008.

1. rocketfan83

rocketfan83 Member

2. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

Talk trash, please! I think it's alot more fun to have trash talkers for the other teams on here. Makes the win sweeter.

Looking forward to you making misguided comments and incorrect predictions that I can add to my sig next week.

3. jasonemilio

jasonemilio Member

Tim Tebow is Colt Mccoy's b****!

But seriously if Colt's team goes undefeated this year, he is a lock for the Heisman. Very deserving.

4. jasonemilio

jasonemilio Member

There's a difference between trash talking and just being a jerk.

Most of you UT fans here are just being the latter.

I won't trash talk because we're not on the same level-yet-so it would only bring out the best (by best I mean worst) in you guys.

And leave the Cat alone. His team is still great and only going to get better. Atleast he's classier than some of you UT fans.

5. SamCassell

Sorry if you think I am being a jerk (or we are). I don't think the comments have been mean spirited or rude, really. Honestly, he set himself up a bit, don't you think?

And The Cat is one of my favorite posters. I really like his arguments and I'm usually on his side. But he made himself a target with his statements over the last week, and he's going to get some good-natured ribbing as a result, at least for a little while. It hasn't been 24 hours even!

And for the record, there's no way that Mizzou is "great". They have a very good, maybe even great QB. Really a pretty good offense overall. But great teams, National Championship contending teams, don't lose two in a row, they don't get blown out 35 - 3 in the first half, and they don't have a porous defense that can't stop the run or the pass. They're a good team, but definitely not a great one.

6. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Since Vince was probably one the best college football players ever, it hard to fathom that McCoy may go down as being better if he continues this pace. 80 percent passing is just plane ridiculous especially in a top tier school versus top tier opponents. He could have gone for 100 percent last night if not for some balls being knocked down.

This defense is not as good as the one that won the national championship but the offense is more consistent.

7. junglerules

junglerules Member

There are classy and non classy fans of all shapes, colors and sizes. And obviously, people can be more obnoxious on the internet than in real life. If you want to talk trash, that's fine. Bring it. Just feel free to own up if things don't work out like you expect them to. That's not directed at you, or anyone in particular. I'm just saying that if someone makes a claim, then they should man up and stand by it when it doesn't work out that way. We've all been wrong at some time or another. Hell, I'm wrong all the time probably. But I respect it when people come out and say they are wrong.

Anyway, the Cat is a very intelligent poster, and I do like reading many of his posts. I agree with many of his posts. What irks me, at times, is when I or others don't agree with his posts. He comes across as incredulous and befuddled than ANYONE would not agree with his point of view. I guess one could look at it as he has supreme confidence in his beliefs. Or, someone could stay it's often stubbornness, and blind irrationality. Regardless, I'll just say that I'd love to talk about college football, and trade ideas, beliefs, opinions, etc. If you have a comment or question about UT, I'd love to answer it or respond to it as respectfully as possible. I'm as big of a fan as anyone else, or I'd at least like to think so. I'd like to think I'm pretty objective, too, but we all have our own subconscious biases....

8. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

They were at home, why would they be intimidated by the environment?

My synopsis of the game is that I was getting more bored as the game wore on and bored out of my mind by halftime. I had a better time talking to the Hooters bar chicks. I wasn't pulling for either team, just for a good game. Powerhouse college teams beating up on inferior talented teams are the most boring games.

Isn't this UT's modus operandi throughout the years? Beat up on inferior talented teams but get outclassed by similar powerhouse college teams? OU seems like their only real opponent this year (yeah sure UT won). What happened to their annual game with Ohio State?

Granted it was Colt's first year, but typical UT football that I remember is UT beating up on some hapless sister of poor college team (56-7 vs North Texas at the time), then next game get shown reality by similar powerhouse college team (Ohio State serving them humble pie 24-7). Vince Young's teams were the only ones I recently remember that bucked that trend.

9. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I think that is pretty much most top 10 college teams motus operendi....but I do concur that this year's team feels different.

And, it is all about McCoy on offense and Muschamp and his attacking defense.

It just has the beginnings of a special year feeling.

DD

10. SamCassell

So you go back to 06 for your "typical UT football" quote? And Colt's 2nd game as a college QB? Against #1 Ohio State? It was a bit much to expect a team with a freshman QB to win the national title, but I guess it's a compliment to the team that you hold them to such a standard. If you're going to be fair, you should mention that they beat Oklahoma that year, won their bowl game, and lost their two other games in large part due to Colt's injuries.

Oklahoma isn't their only real opponent this season. Mizzou, OSU, Tech, and Kansas are all legit ranked teams, and they'll play likely two more if they get to the Big XII championship and a bowl game. That's as tough a schedule as anyone in the country.

11. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

I have argued with The Cat over many things for the better part of the last decade, and I always thought that he would make a great lawyer because he argues his point to the death and can rationalize with the best of them.

He's a very knowledgeable and intelligent guy, and has tremendous passion for the teams he supports. Sometimes that passion leads him to make irrational claims in the heat of the moment.

I look forward to him coming back to Houston so I can finally watch a game with him and can witness that passion firsthand, and hopefully not get caught in any crossfire.

12. hoang17

hoang17 Contributing Member

The one thing that I'd like to stress to everybody is something that mentioned on the telecast last night:

Our secondary is made of up of mostly true freshmen and redshirt freshmen and our offensive line is made of freshmen and sophmores. :eek:

The way that they're growing up bodes well for not only this year but for the coming years. It's going to be scary when our secondary is filled with juniors with experience.

I see a lot of thorpe winners in the near future...

13. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

If you can tell me honestly that those teams' overall talent matches UT's, then I'll agree with you. As in blue chip prospect talent, as in highly recruited high school talent, as in likely to get drafted by NFL talent...

14. junglerules

junglerules Member

Secondary is THAT young, the O-line isn't. Cedric Dockery is a Senior, while the rest of the O-line is made of juniors and sophomores. Don't get me wrong- that's still pretty young. But it's not as "green" as the secondary, which starts two freshmen at safety, and plays a variety of youngsters at corner. (Curtis Brown, Aaron Williams, Chykie Brown) Deon Beasley and Ryan Palmer are the two DB's with the most experience, Palmer a senior and Beasley a Junior.

15. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

Well, that was an ass-kicking of epic proportions. There's nothing really to say, other than congrats to the UT fans. We got destroyed in every single phase of the game. Even offensively, the 30 points deserves a * for coming against a relaxed defense in a game long, long over. This team does have athletes on par with Texas and Oklahoma, when it comes to the skill positions. And that's why it's so tough to watch this season wash away. But it's obvious that we're woefully behind when it comes to offensive line, defense, special teams, you name it. The game plan is a problem too -- attacking speed defenses like Texas and Oklahoma horizontally just isn't going to work. First play was a microcosm of the problem.

Bottom line -- you guys were right, I was wrong, and UT has one of the best college teams I've seen in a long time. Enjoy it.

See, this is about the third attack like this I've had in the last week, and I'm sorry, but I think this is ridiculous. I don't mind being called out for missing on this game. I missed badly, my team lost, and a majority of this board supports UT. I don't mind that -- it's all in good fun and part of the board.

I've pretty regularly come on here and admitted my mistakes when a team I support loses. To my knowledge, I haven't declared myself all-knowledgeable. If you want to call me out personally (i.e., beyond me as a Missouri fan and me as a person), the least you can do is give me some evidence. Show me examples of when I've said I'm never wrong, or all knowledgeable, or whatever. If you're going to bring it to that level, the least any of you could do is show me what you're talking about.

16. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Props to you Cat for coming in and taking your medicine....

Respect level +2

DD

17. swyyyguy

swyyyguy Member

18. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

He always does.

19. SamCassell

No, they don't. But that doesn't mean that they're not "real opponents", at least to me. There's a big difference between the North Texases of the world and top 25 caliber teams. I think a ranked team constitutes a "real opponent".

But if your view is that a real opponent includes only teams that have the same level of blue chip talent, then there are very few "real opponents" in college football. Ohio State (maybe), Florida, LSU, USC, Oklahoma... that's what, 5 other teams in college football who are consistantly top-10 recruiting classes? Let me tell you, the top teams don't play each other every season! USC played Ohio State, Florida played LSU, Oklahoma played Texas. That's it. You're not going to see a great college team who plays multiple great teams every season. UT won the tough game on their schedule, and they'll likely play another blue-chip team in a BCS game down the line. Until then, taking care of business against good teams with a little less talent, every week, isn't as easy as it sounds. Ask USC. Ask Florida.