1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ESPN College Gameday] #1 Texas vs. #11 Missouri

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by swyyyguy, Oct 16, 2008.

1. jasonemilio

jasonemilio Member

Nerds=Homers, fans, hardcores, etc.

Jeez. I'd rather not win a championship and risk getting a big head like you guys.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

2. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

So, in closing, you are kicking your own ass by calling yourself a "nerd" since you are a "Homer, fan, hardcore" etc.

Awesome.

What a dork.

No need to worry about that. Your head shall stay small for years to come. lol.

#122 LonghornFan, Oct 19, 2008
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2008
  3. DPballer

DPballer Member

Let this be a lesson for all to ignore line trends.
    [​IMG]
    Oops! Looks like I was too focused on either one game or prestige.
    Hmmm... apparently one game seems to be enough!
    Hey, congrats! Your team once again scored that magical 30. At least you got that going for ya. Too bad winning football games involves playing some defense.
    It's still nothing to be ashamed of, but we're still looking for that signature win against the big boys. Kansas is not one of them. Neither is Illinois, Texas Tech, or Arkansas. Right now your team is very good, but still not elite.
    Looks like your team echoed that sentiment in the 1st half. And it looks like we're now 11-0 after the OU game.

And for the record, Mizzou championship hopes - done. Chase Daniel Heisman hopes - done.

But look at the bright side. You outscored us 28-21 in the 2nd half. Pinkel should be all over that. You should win your next 4 games, giving you big momentum for the KU showdown. If you beat Kansas, you will once again have a shot at getting a BCS berth. IF Texas gets there undefeated, we may have already sealed up a BCS championship berth, and perhaps the sense of urgency would be less, not to mention that the game is much closer to your backyard than Austin. Should be a closer game. Even if that doesn't work out, isn't Daniel coming back next year? I believe we play @ Mizzou next year. Maybe that is your year, though UT should be even better than this year.

4. DPballer

DPballer Member

Two words - offensive line.

There's no doubt Colt bulked up in the weight room, but the injury ravaged and young offensive line killed us last year. The silver lining was they gained valuable experience. We're seeing the benefits of that now. They've been outstanding and allowed Colt to do his thing.

My goal before the year was just a BCS appearance. I remember a Pat Forde article in the preseason, wondering if this was the year that Mack Brown's 10-win season streak got snapped. Looking at the brutal schedule, that was in the back of my mind too. I had no freakin idea we'd be this good so early.

Our secondary is ridiculous young but talented. Our offensive line is still young and talented. We have plenty of young, talented WRs ready to show their skills like Collins, Williams, and Buckner. We have young, talented RBs in McGee, Johnson, and Fozzy. Not to mention that we'll probably have another year of Colt, and then Garrett Gilbert ready to play. John Chiles could play a role as a RB or WR in the future.

Again, we have no reason to be this good this early. This year was supposed to be a stepping stone to next year. This is heaven for Burnt Orange Nation.

5. hydrohead

hydrohead Contributing Member

'The Cat' faints

6. DPballer

DPballer Member

You could very well be right until we see Mizzou step up and win a big one. And since they are in the Big 12 North, their record is going to be better than Tech's since Tech is in the South.

What's really disturbing is this Mizzou team was in line to be in the national championship game last year if the Big 12 didn't have a championship game of their own. Unbelievable.
    [​IMG]

7. jasonemilio

jasonemilio Member

OMG it was a figure of speech within that context. I seriously did not meant nerd as a brace-wearing, pimple-faced kind of nerd. So if you want, you can call me or any other fans "nerds" too. Its called tongue in cheek pal.

Man, I always thought UT fans were relatively respectful and classy, but you and DD are representing UT the wrong way.

I seriously hope that if we ever find success we don't become a bunch of arrogant airheads looking down on other people.

Classless.

8. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

You talk trash and we talk trash back, and that makes us "classless?"

How many bong hits have you ripped this evening?

With both of your feet up your ass you might wanna call a Taxi to get home.

9. jasonemilio

jasonemilio Member

I never talked trash, I was merely defending my turf because you guys walk around here thinking you're invincible. I even said that we will likely lose, but atleast not without a fight.

The reason I brought up last year's game was to hopefully remind you guys that college football is never set in stone. Now was I implying we will beat you? No. But don't think that we're just fodders either. Sure you whooped Mizzou tonight but that doesn't mean that they suck. No, they are still a great team; its just that your defense was too strong and their offensive style was probably not suited to that.

I will say that we are a totally different team than Mizzou too. Mizzou is a pass-spread team while we are mostly a run-spread team. But don't let that or the stats fool you, we are actually one of the most balanced offensive teams in the Big 12, and last year we one of the top offensive teams and the most balanced one too, with averages of 250 rushing yards per game and 250 passing yards per game. We are definitely a more physical team than Mizzou (not meaning anything against Mizzou) and bigger up front.

Just a little fyi. Minor trash talking there.

But still, I will take the high road and just wish you guys a good game. Thats all I care about-at the very least a competitive game on both sides irregardless of the results.

:)

10. benchmoochie

benchmoochie Contributing Member

I was at the game. First play of the game was a sack. Missouri has only gone 3 and out two other times this year. First four series = three 3 and outs. TX defense has really stepped up from game one. Their whole secondary is freshman. This game was very impressive.

11. yo

yo Contributing Member

Still waiting for I'm-Never-Wrong, Always-Condescending, All-Knowledgable, The Cat, to show up again. :rolleyes:

12. Ashes

Ashes Member

Get wrecked, Mizzou.

13. Ashes

Ashes Member

Ah, which school is that?

14. swyyyguy

swyyyguy Member

15. TexasFight

TexasFight Member

You hit the nail on the freakin' head here!!!!

These last two wins on national TV should help us hopefully keep the Adrian Peterson's of the world from leaving Texas...

16. TexasFight

TexasFight Member

Would ESPN Gameday dare make it 3 straight appearances at a Texas game - with #1 Texas vs #8 OSU next on the docket????

Probably not - especially with Penn State and OSU playing in the shoe...

17. TexasFight

TexasFight Member

18. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

did that article seriously just compare the Big XII to the WAC?? please. :D

i think you have to be off your rocker to try to make a case for any other team at #1 given what texas has done so far. and if they run the table, there should be zero question unless you're just a flat out hater.

19. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

he'll be here...and he's a great guy. ease up.

20. junglerules

junglerules Member

Was at the game last night, and the crowd was fantastic. There was definitely an aura of excitement, and it was awesome to see UT come to play 100% focused, and not intimidated by the environment or opponent. You can tell that this is a team that is clearly well-coached, honed in on each game each week, and (seemingly) immune to distractions and pressure. Of course, we'll see if that holds as the season progresses.

Before the game, I was preaching a 44-27 UT win. I know Mizzou has a great offense, but my opinion of their D by watching about 3 Mizzou games this season was that it wasn't near as good as it should be based on all the returning players, including William Moore, Weatherspoon and Ziggy Hood.

Regardless, this game reminded me of Bama-Georgia. Texas came out on a whole other level of intensity, and Mizzou looked shell-shocked the entire first half. Before you knew it, it was 35-0 Texas, the Mizzou offense was rattled, the crowd was going insane, and the game was over. Threat extinguished.

I'm beyond shocked at how the game went. I thought it would be a double digit win, but I was surprised at how dominant it was. Mizzou never got closer than 25 points the rest of the way, and UT piled up 600 yards. 600. I know it's just one game, and that seems to be what most of us are told to avoid overemphasizing, by it's hard to argue for a team being a national contender when giving up 600 yards of offense.

So, where do we go from here? Well, Chase may get invited to NYC, but no Heisman for him. No national title for Mizzou either, and Tiger fans can stop worrying about USC, Florida or anyone else and their bad losses passing them by. The Tigers still have a fantastic shot at the Big 12 Title game, and could certainly face Texas again. It would worry me to have to play them again, but I'd feel like we are a better team going into the game for sure. Texas has to get amped up again for another top 10 team. Can they do it again? Hopefully. The coaching staff has done a masterful job with the team so far, and McCoy is playing out of his mind. 90% completion rate last night? Are you freaking kidding me? It's gotta be him, then Bradford, then everyone else in the Heisman race right now, not that Colt gives a crap about it.

So, long way to go, but I was incredibly impressed by the Horns last night. Proud to be a Longhorn this morning, and I guess we can now say that UT is 11-0 in games after OU under Mack Brown. Might not mean much, but the decisive W sure was a sight to see.