1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ESPN College Gameday] #1 Texas vs. #11 Missouri

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by swyyyguy, Oct 16, 2008.

1. jasonemilio

jasonemilio Member

That proves how overrated Vince Young was (yes I know he won the Championship).

Colt McCoy may not be the athlete Vince Young is and was, but he (Mccoy) definitely has better intangibles.

2. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

i wouldnt go that far. you look at those two rose bowl games and vince was a great great college quarterback.

3. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

4. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

What does that even mean? It's a silly argument. Sports are about results. Intangibles don't complete 80% of your passes. "Being a better athlete" at quarterback still requires poise and decision making. You watched the USC game, right? The comparisons don't mean much in October, anyway. How about a boring old, "they are both excellent college quarterbacks?"

5. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Colt reminds me of an athletic, better version of Major Applewhite... a QB who is a good athlete who is incredibly smart on the field....

He is amazing, if he stays healthy, I don't see UT losing this year.

DD

6. Buck Turgidson

Horns front 4 is sick. They do not need to blitz. Scary thing is the o-line might be better. Young secondary is far more solid than anyone thought going into the season, that has to be on the coaching.

Mizzou, like Kansas and TT (and many other teams in many other conferences), doesn't have the athletes on the lines to compete consistently with the real big boys, their gimmick offenses will win games & pull a few upsets....

7. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

You can't be serious! Either that or your memory has been wiped clean. When Colt McCoy leads UT to an undefeated national championship, then we can legitimately compare him to Vince Young. He's doing great so far but UT isn't 14-0 yet.

DD, the "athletic" Applewhite comparison came to my mind also.

Buck, we saw in the 4th quarter last week just how good the O-lines and D-lines are. This is why UT will be very tough for teams like Texas Tech, Kansas and Oklahoma State to beat.

8. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

LOL, no. Stop embarrass...ah whatever, go ahead.

9. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

it's amazing to see. at least since i started school in 2000, i can't ever remember us getting a real pass rush with the front 4 before this year and it's great to see what it does for a defense. orakpo is just ridiculous and if they ever called holding would be even more ridiculous, miller is all over the place, and kindle is always around to make a play.

i'm not sure who the seniors are (orakpo is i think) but if we can get enough of them back with the secondary hopefully getting better with another year of experience, we should have a damn nice D for the next season and a half.

lol, is this coming from a fan of oklahoma "outscored 118-0 in the second half by vince young" state? yeah yeah he won a championship with the greatest big game performance ever, but forget that, guy was definitely overrated.

#109 francis 4 prez, Oct 18, 2008
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2008
  10. jasonemilio

jasonemilio Member

I might agree that our D-line might have some trouble penetrating UT's O-line, but as far our O-line goes, we are definitely in a different class. In fact, many Big 12 experts and insiders think we have the second best O-line overall behind OU.

11. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

And our D line kicked OU's O-Line's ass on a neutral field, dominating in the second half. At our house I can't wait to see the domination next week. Keep fooling yourself that your team is equal to Texas. Your team barely beat Mizz, we killed them.

12. LonghornFan

You wind ANOTHER "dumbest post on the internet award". :rolleyes:

13. jasonemilio

jasonemilio Member

Did I ever say we were equal? NO.

But at the same time we're not be fodders like you think we are either. Not to be cliche but we did almost beat you last year.

14. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

You win the award for almost not sucking then.......woohoo!

15. LonghornFan

Your "team" does give us trouble and almost beats us every year but we always win. This is a different team, with a totally different defense/offense. I did not expect this team to be this good this quick truthfully, and after this beatdown tonight, I don't expect next weeks game to be close. Colt is just on another level right now.

16. AstroRocket

AstroRocket Member

Aw, take it easy on him. He doesn't know any better.

17. jasonemilio

jasonemilio Member

Guys, maybe I should've been a bit more discreet when saying anything befouling the reputation of Vince Young's UT days. But I was being slightly tongue-in-cheeky because I just question Vince Young's mental toughness and intangibles to be great at the QB position.

Now, I didn't mean to come off as saying Vince Young wasn't a great QB, but I just think that Mccoy has a better feel for the QB position at this stage of their respective career. Vince Young made his moments by running and creating plays with his feet, which is something he's definitely better at than Mccoy, and probably better than any other QB in college football history.

So.....sorry UT nerds :eek: Didn't mean to besmirch Vince Young's UT legacy.

18. HAYJON02

HAYJON02 Contributing Member

It's good to be a Longhorn. Hooking them fortnightly. My Sox won too. Tallyhooooooo!

Even if everything goes wrong for the rest of the season, these two high profile wins really help out our recruiting going forward. I want to see some five star homegrown talent. Recruiting for the next few years should be like bowling with bumpers. I just want us to be competitive for a long long time. Whats the record for 10 win seasons?

Then again I said that after '05 and it wasn't all that and a bag of Cape Cod chips. Obviously we did ok but never were at the top of the recruiting rankings. Maybe that doesn't help says USC.

19. wakkoman

wakkoman Contributing Member

What a game! Should have went to Austin and got a ticket.

I was in school and saw the 05 Championship season in person. But there's something about this team that's just different. These guys are resilient. Colt is playing flat out ust anyone else in the nation. It's is great to see what Colt and VY were able to do take us to the top in this decade of Longhorn football.

Muschcamp is just simply a great defensive coordinator. I would love to see him stay at Texas for as long as possible but I know he will receive a great Head Coach job he won't be able to refuse.

20. LonghornFan

An Okie Poke calling UT fans nerds. Fresh. :rolleyes:

Tell me again, when was the last time your "team" won a championship?

Take your time.