1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ESPN College Gameday] #1 Texas vs. #11 Missouri

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by swyyyguy, Oct 16, 2008.

1. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

Well, I do think that Mizzou has a chance, but Texas should win...Texas has a real tough schedule coming up...Can't afford a let down...

2. Franchise3

Franchise3 Member

This game is damn close to even. The edge goes to Texas mainly because of home-field advantage.

3. King of 40 Acres

King of 40 Acres Contributing Member

my sentiments exactly.

btw that location is the t*** much better than the soccer stadium or wherever the hell they set up last time

4. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

I'm pulling for Mizzou just because it'll be an upset, which I love to witness. (like UT beating OU last week). I think it'll be close throughout the first half, but in the second half UT will begin to pull away.

Hears to hoping my Horned frogs can hang with BYU tonight.

5. DPballer

DPballer Member

Thinking the same thing. Will Muschamp's defense already has a knack of excellent 2nd half adjustments. I believe we only gave up 14 points to OU in the 2nd half.

6. percicles

percicles Contributing Member

The line is now -4 Texas. Where can I place $$$ on my Horns?

7. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

2BETDSI seems to be the easiest IMO

8. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

ok, that's getting down too low i think. i think texas' home field is worth more than 4 points in an even match. i know it's 3 points typically in the nfl.

9. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

Keep in mind Missouri was favored by 3 until last weekend. I'm not saying to totally discount what happened, but it was just one game. When you consider the larger context (16-2 in last 18 games before OSU, top 5 to finish last season and this season), I think it makes sense for the line not to stray too, too far from what the assessment was six days ago.

10. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

The line doesn't matter if its below 7. Whoever wins is winning by 7 or more. So pick the winner IMO.

11. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

wow how do you know this?????????

12. swyyyguy

swyyyguy Member

our running game against OU looked pretty weak with the exception of a few good runs. :confused:

13. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Sarcasm? I am just sayin, IMO, whoever wins this thing will win it by at least 7.

14. RocketFan007

RocketFan007 Contributing Member

www.betus.com

15. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

yeah i mostly agree with you.

16. swyyyguy

swyyyguy Member

i'm excited to see how missouri's spread offense will fare against will muschamp's defensive schemes.

17. DPballer

DPballer Member

If you're going to predict they'll win, fine. But what makes you think your team would score 41 in Austin, when they couldn't even score 30 at home against Oklahoma State, a team with a worse defense than Texas? UT held OU under 40 as well.

For Mizzou to win, they'd have to hold UT around the 20's, low 30's. Texas just put up 45 on OU, a team with a better defense than Mizzou. I think the line of single digits is easy money right now.

18. DPballer

DPballer Member

In your last two seasons, you basically have one signature win (over #2 Kansas). Other than that, your best wins were #20 Illinois this year (now they're 3-3 and unranked). Last year, it was @ a decent Illinois team, #25 Nebraska (ended up being a terrible team), #24 Texas Tech (overrated as usual, no defense), and a bowl win over a mediocre Arkansas team. And the rankings really don't mean anything to me.

Lets not act like your team was dominating college football the last few years. Your 16-2 record was mostly a result of your non-conference scheduling and the relative difficulty of the Big 12 North. They had two chances to show they were for real when they played OU and faltered both times.

Has Texas been dominating football the last two years? Not exactly, but looking at this year, I see we're high up in the leaderboard in sacks, and we have the best rushing defense in the Big 12, along with a great defensive coordinator that has made excellent 2nd half adjustments. And we already have a signature win this year against a great OU team.

Oh, and this game is @ Texas, and this game is right after the OU game, where UT is 10-0 since Mack Brown became coach.

19. Fatty FatBastard

That is an imbecilic response. Tech may very well be overrated this year, (time will tell), but to say we were overrated last year at #24 (we finished #17) with a win over OU is damn near moronic.

20. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

Do you not realize how silly you can get when you use one game to make your analysis? Last year, Kansas State beat UT by 20, in Austin. Do you really think Kansas State was better than UT, much less 20 points better, on the road? I don't. But it's one game. Flukes happen all the time. In the OSU game, for example, read an earlier post in this thread -- eliminate just a couple of the completely unforced errors, not even all, just a couple (choose between first down at the 20, off the hands for an INT... two missed FGs by a previously perfect kicker... kicking a FG from the one-foot line... blown call on the non-interception at the end... etc.).

In Missouri's last 22 games, they've scored 30 or more points all but twice. They've scored 36 or more all but three times in their last 22. And no, this isn't all against weak competition. This includes games against OU (BCS), Kansas (BCS), Arkansas, Illinois (BCS), Texas Tech -- you know, conference play and bowls.

Missouri has the best offense in the country, and believe it or not, I'm not going to toss aside everything I've watched and learned over three years because of one game. People argued the Patriots had the best offense in the history of football last year, and they had a game (Super Bowl, in fact) where they scored 14. LSU was known for having a dominant defense last season in their national title season, yet they gave up 50 in a loss. (Also, by the way, Texas offensively scored 38 on OU -- seven came on a kick return.)

Let's play one last transitive game -- one that could be of interest, given that Missouri and Texas both returned very similar teams to a year ago. Texas lost at home to Kansas State by 20. Missouri won at Kansas State by 17. Does that mean 2007 Missouri was 37 points (if not more, given home/road evidence) better than UT? Or maybe, just maybe, can you not put too much stock in any one isolated game?