1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ESPN College Gameday] #1 Texas vs. #11 Missouri

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by swyyyguy, Oct 16, 2008.

1. jasonemilio

jasonemilio Member

You just don't get it do you? What if Mack Brown did a press conference defending one of his players after a newspaper editor attacks one of his players? HUH? How would you UT fans feel if afterwards the media overblows and misconstrues that and constantly brings it up everytime your team is mentioned? You should only bring up the IT up within the correct context (ie Zac Robinson should've replaced Bobby Reid long before that). Its not like he (Gundy) did for the heck of it

But then again, you outsiders know NOTHING about us, so don't talk about it the wrong way and don't bring it up everytime, because I can tell you that all of us OSU fans do NOT like to hear it brought up ever. If people tell you something that offends them, you shouldn't bring it up just to tease them.
    I equate it to bad gossip really. Outsiders may just hear things on the surface and take it for what its worth, then consequently that spreads around like a wild fire and can ruin a person's reputation and dignity that he/she may not have deserved in the first place.

Sure its funny the first and couple times around, but bringing it up as a punch line everytime gets annoying. Plus it seemed pretty obvious that Kam referred to that in a semi-ridiculing mock manner......of course I'm not really sure what the "FAT" part was supposed to imply.....

And anyways, that does not constitute as trash talking, and that just seemed to me more of bully move more than anything. I'm all for the traditional debate-trash talk-rebuttal, but that was out of line to me, especially since he probably knows NOTHING about us.

2. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

pretty sure mack brown/pete carrol/ joe paterno type coaches would not handle a situation that way. who knows

3. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

I'm sure the fat part was in reference to the "because he's fat, and comes home crying to his mom."

I won't speak for everyone else, but the reason I continually bring it up is that as a journalist, I thought what he did to Carlson was completely out of line and ridiculous. As a result, in the journalism world, he's a bit of a figurehead for the problems we perceive in sports-media relations.

With that said, I know my opinion is in the minority on that, at least within the sports crowd. I think everyone else just brings it up for the hilarity. :) Which yeah, it's funny, but I'll try to stop because I can't imagine how annoying it would be to have an undefeated, elite team this late in the season and still have that making headlines. If there's a positive, it's that with a win this weekend, he and the team would pretty much have an entirely new identity... even though they deserve it already.

4. jasonemilio

jasonemilio Member

This just proves my point right here.

You guys and the general media know NOTHING about us and just presume everything outside of your realm of knowledge.

For you to judge a guy based on a presumption proves exactly what I said. Do you know the guy? Have you ever been invited to his house and talked to him and met his family? So just because he gets emotional and calls out an editor for going after one of his players, you think he's a "rude" person?

What kind of human being are you? Are you God? Can you immediately judge how a person is based on a few public glimpses of his disposition?

Well, I can PROVE to you that he perhaps the calmest and classiest coach because even after wins. For example, in the locker room after the win over Mizzou, in the locker room speech to his players, the first thing he mentioned was how good of a team Mizzou is and that they are not a fluke and commended how far the program had come compared to the last couple of years, and kept on praising some more.

Now does that sound like a "rude" and terrible person to you?

Now do you see me calling out your coach or any of your players on a personal level like that? In fact, I have had NOTHING but praises for Colt Mccoy and Mack Brown, and I still feel that way , regardless of how I may feel about UT fans now.

Hmm, and Longhorn Fan calls me "classless?"
    :rolleyes:

I'm really starting to see the true colors of some you people on here now.

5. yo

yo Contributing Member

Dramatic, much? You're taking it a little too personal, sorry.

Let's not deny it - he did it AT LEAST partly for PR reasons, to show that he's a coach that 'stands up for his players' so he could maybe attract more recruits. He was also trying to cover his own butt by denying that he said what he supposedly said to that player. The fact is, he was entirely too dramatic about it, and you can tell that by devoting the entire press conference to spewing that nonsense and his repetitive rhetoric, he was up there just to yell and that it was completely planned. It was very transparent.

I don't think you should be defending Gundy. It may have seen like a good move at first, but he ended up hurting that player badly - I'm sure you have seen the ESPN piece on Bobby Reid. He's nowa punchline. He didn't appreciate his tirade at all. It hurt him more than it benefitted (if at all).

But big deal, coaches have done it in the past, and coaches will do it in the future. Just have some fun with it, and untwist your panties.

6. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

geez dude read my post "i said i may be wrong but that is the impression i get"

i dont think im god thats for sure. but i cant have an opinion about someone? you have all these opinions about UT fans now by what they have said on this thread i guess right. but you damn sure have never been in my house i dont generally hang out with guys that are as dramatic as my bi-polar ex-girlfriend.

good day.

p.s. i hope UT whoops up on the cowboys now just for you.

7. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Dude you need to relax. When you decide to go off like that while the cameras are on, you pretty much need to except that you're going to see it a lot. And nobody gives a crap if you feel like you're getting bullied.

Signed,

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/5rmtO9_wzlI&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/5rmtO9_wzlI&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

8. jasonemilio

jasonemilio Member

You're an idiot, I'm sorry. But to say I shouldn't defend my coach?
    And can't you see the problem with quoting ESPN?

They're were the ones who ignited the media's attention against Coach Gundy and kept on portraying in a negative manner because they (along with most of the media) sided and defended Carlson. You seriously can't the bias-ness on ESPN's half? Thats why they did the Bobby Reid piece, and if you failed to see the bias in that one, then you my friend, are like a blind sheep.

I can tell you that by then, and you dont' even have to be an insider to know this, that his heir apparent-Zac Robinson- was already starting to take hold of the starting job already regardless, especially after that big win agaisnt Texas Tech. By all accounts, Bobby Reid was doing the right things up to that point and even got a degree to fall back on. But for ESPN to completely twist the facts and tell only one side of the story was disingenuous journalism on their part.

But I really see now that no one here gives a F*** about what an OSU fan has to say, and ESPN is always right, right?

9. jasonemilio

jasonemilio Member

Oh so you can't atleast admit that your IMPRESSION of him was wrong now? Either way, for you to think that about a coach like that is rude.

10. yo

yo Contributing Member

What does this have to do with 'bias by ESPN' or whatever else you're babbling about?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mHQf-efAL2I

You're right, who cares what OSU fans or ESPN has to say? Watch what Reid had to say. No "bias" there.

11. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

sorry just because you say he perhaps is the calmest and classiest coach in all of college football. doesnt really change my impression of him.

12. jasonemilio

jasonemilio Member

Oh, so whining because your backup turns out to be a better leader and QB than you and taking you makes you a hero?

13. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

For the Record, I do like Gundy for sticking up for his guys.

IT'S GARBAGE, AND THE EDITOR THAT LET IT COME OUT IS GARBAGE@!!~!@!~

14. jasonemilio

jasonemilio Member

Well, my impression of you just changed.

15. Major

Major Member

Hmm. Earlier, you said:

Do you know the guy? Have you ever been invited to his house and talked to him and met his family?

It seems the guy who knows him better than anyone here just called him a liar and a fraud. Who are you to question that?

16. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

for real because i havent been to your house yet

17. professorjay

professorjay Contributing Member

Is everyone taking turns becoming a whiny, over-the-top NCAA football fan each week?

18. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

People can't take a rant on tv to call someone rude, but you can take a post on a BBS to call someone rude?

That doesn't make a whole lotta sense, buddy.

19. jasonemilio

jasonemilio Member

No words necessary:

Zac Robinson as a starter: 13-5

Bobby Reid as a starter: 6-7

Quote by our backup RB, who I believe is the 6th ranked RB in the Big 12 in terms of yards (Kendall Hunter being #1):

They’re both good quarterbacks, but so far it’s been a change for the better,” Cowboy running back Keith Toston said. “I can’t argue with it.

20. jasonemilio

jasonemilio Member

So I come in here with nothing but respect for you guys and saying all the right things; then when you mock my coach and I defend him, you guys start attacking me and calling me rude.

I'm starting to get tired of the BBS and all the negativity, and liberal bias.

The Rockets and my passion for them is the only thing keeping me here.