1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ESPN CLASSIC: Hakeem day next sunday

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by francis 4 prez, Nov 4, 2002.

1. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

sweet. something about the dream is coming to an end but there's one place it continues, espn classic. from phi slamma jamma to back to back nba championships. pretty sure they said next sunday. vcr here i come.

i assume this is the right forum.

2. Yao1134

Yao1134 Member

u dam! right ill have my vcr rollin too! hakeem on espn classic theres no way id miss it ill be at the game the night before i htink ill stay up the whole night so i dont sleep in and miss the mourning edition

3. Free Agent

Free Agent Member

More from the Chron:

Classic also commemorates the impending retirement of Hakeem Olajuwon from 11 a.m. to 8 p.m. Sunday with the 1983 NCAA Tournament game between Houston and Louisville, Game 7 of the 1994 NBA Finals against the Knicks, Game 6 of the 1995 Western Conference finals against the Spurs and Game 4 of the 1995 Finals against the Magic, ending with the NBA Entertainment feature Houston Rockets: Back to Back. ...

4. macho GRANDE

macho GRANDE Elvis, was a hero to most but................

That's gonna be the coolest thing. The only thing that could top that would be to add bouncing Charles and Karla from the playoffs. Thanx for the info. I'm stoked.

5. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

I don't get ESPN Classic. I just have regular ol Time Warner ****.

THis reminds me. Does ANTISONIC STILL HAVE MY ANNA KOURNIKOVA ESPN SPORTSCENTURY PROFILE thing? I've seen it before, but I would LOOOOOOOOOOOVE to watch ANNA (pronounced ahn Ah) skimp around in some Adidas.

6. Free Agent

Free Agent Member

I was a big Louisville fan back in the day. That '83 game will be hard to watch. (But at least we got our TWO championships!) :)

7. Rocketability

Rocketability Member

Great news! But I don't get ESPN classic. :( :( :(

Anyone here will tape the WHOLE thing from 11 till 8? If so, I'm willing to pay for a copy of the tape(s).

Please anyone?

8. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

If any of you folks want to watch a dunkfest - and I do mean an absolute dunkfest, then check out this game with Clyde Drexler, Hakeem Olajuwon, Benny Anders, Larry Micheaux, and Michael Young... you talk about playing above the rim - this game epitomizes it. I hope they show the entire game because I've always wanted to see this game again.

9. fromobile

fromobile Contributing Member

PLEASE SOEMONE WITH TEVO RECORD THESE AND MAKE TAPES!!! OH SWEET LORD PLEASE!!!!!

10. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Ditto, Dr of Dunk. I'll never forget watching that game! I think it shocked the country. (the next game was even more shocking... :() PLEASE let them show the whole game! What a line-up on Sunday. :eek:
    I'll have a stack of new tapes ready.

Thanks for the heads up!

11. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

This is what it shows on ESPN.com TV Listings for ESPN Classic:

11/10 - ALL TIMES ARE EASTERN

1983 NCAA TOURNAMENT, NATIONAL SEMIFINAL
    HOUSTON COUGARS VS. LOUISVILLE CARDINALS
    UNIVERSITY ARENA (THE PIT) ALBUQUERQUE, NM USA
    12:00 pm to 2:00 pm

1994 NBA FINALS, GAME 7
    NEW YORK KNICKS VS. HOUSTON ROCKETS
    THE SUMMIT HOUSTON, TX USA
    2:00 pm to 4:00 pm

1995 NBA WESTERN CONFERENCE FINALS, GAME 6
    SAN ANTONIO SPURS VS. HOUSTON ROCKETS
    4:00 pm to 6:00 pm

1995 NBA FINALS, GAME 4
    ORLANDO MAGIC VS. HOUSTON ROCKETS
    6:00 pm to 8:00 pm

HOUSTON ROCKETS: BACK-TO-BACK
    CLASSIC BASKETBALL DOCUMENTARY
    8:00 pm to 9:00 pm

Guess I'm going to be a couch potato that day :D :D

#11 Rockets34Legend, Nov 4, 2002
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2002
  12. rfrocket

rfrocket Member

That was an awesome game. It was the Final Four(semi). Louisville had Rodney McCray(soon to be Rocket) on their team. I remember we trailed by like 8 points at halftime(remember being a little concerned) but just exploded on them in the second half. That was Phi Slamma Jamma at it's best.

I remember one play where Akeem just came right over a Louisville players' back and just rammed home a rebound dunk.

I'll definately break out the vcr.

13. Free Agent

Free Agent Member

Would you guys please shut up about that game?? You are bringing back horrible memories.

I'll never forget when Guy V. Lewis threw that towel at Billy Thompson.

14. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Someone help me out here. Was Game 6 of the 1995 WCF's vs. the Spurs the one where Hakeem vaporized the Mermaid's manhood? If so, I'm gonna be a recording fool this weekend...

francis 4 pres and nwo34life, thanks for finding this stuff guys. I've been waiting forever to watch that game vs. Louisville again and it seems like it's going to be in its entirety.

15. codell

codell Contributing Member

Game 6 was in Houston. I wanna say it was Game 5 in SA where Hakeem destroyed Robinson.

16. codell

codell Contributing Member

Here is something I pulled from the Chronicle archives (Michael Murphy). Its a summary of the Hakeem v. David matchup in the 1995 WC Finals.

Game 1 - Center

Hakeem Olajuwon reduced the Admiral to bosun's mate status for much of the game . Robinson shot just 1 -for-11 from the floor through the first three quarters but responded in the fourth to score 12 points and almost pull the game out for the Spurs. Olajuwon had a steady if unspectacular game , finishing with 27 points, but did not pull down a rebound in the final period. Olajuwon managed to dish out six assists and block five shots, but neither big man dominated.

Game 2 - Center.

Hakeem Olajuwon may not own the MVP trophy anymore, but he does own David Robinson if the first two games of the Western Conference finals are any indication. Olajuwon consistently blew by Robinson, the current MVP, for layups and short hook shots in the lane, finishing with 41 points and 16 rebounds. Robinson had a solid game, scoring 32 points and pulling down 11 boards, but he is completely baffled defensively. Hard to figure Olajuwon was the third-team all-NBA center. He wasn't Wednesday. Ask Robinson.

Game 3 - Center

If this series goes much longer, David Robinson will get whiplash from watching Hakeem Olajuwon zip by on his Dream Shake moves. Olajuwon posted his second straight 40-point game, finishing with 43 points (and 11 rebounds), but he was pretty much alone in the second half. Robinson did enough to offset Olajuwon, finishing with 29 points and nine rebounds, and was especially active in the Spurs' help defense. All the Spurs needed from Robinson was an equalizing performance. They got it.

Game 4 - Center

In the first two games, that "clang, clang, clang" was the sound of the school bell ringing as Hakeem Olajuwon had his way inside. But in Game 4, that clanging was the sound of bricks coming off the rim as Olajuwon and David Robinson combined to miss 25 of their 40 shots. Olajuwon (9-for-24) was merely human with 20 points and 14 rebounds. Robinson's great, but the guy gets so many calls he should have his own 1-800 number. He made just six field goals and finished with 20 points and 16 rebounds.

Game 5 - Center

Hakeem Olajuwon sank the Spurs' battleship Tuesday. Olajuwon (43 points, nine rebounds) completely dominated David Robinson, posting his third 40-plus game of the series and doing everything but shoot the ball with his feet along the way. Olajuwon also blocked five shots in the fourth period, creating several transition opportunities for the Rockets. Robinson had decent numbers -- 22 points, 12 rebounds -- but never seemed to get into the flow, as evidenced by his seven turnovers.

Game 6 - Center

There is no truth to the rumor (we think) that Unsolved Mysteries is planning a trip to The Summit for an episode on how David Robinson won the MVP over Hakeem Olajuwon. For the fifth time in six games, Olajuwon dominated, scoring 39 points and pulling down 17 boards to Robinson's 19 and 10. The Admiral looked more like Ensign Pulver as he helplessly watched Olajuwon narrowly miss his fourth 40-point game of the series. Olajuwon also chipped in five blocked shots in a another dominating all-around performance.

17. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

18. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

No quadruple double game? WEAK!

19. verse

verse Contributing Member

would anyone be interested in making a tape of those games (especially the ncaa game and the spurs game) and selling it to me?

also, on a side note, does anyone have the complete spurs/rockets series on tape and for sale???

20. GB_Rocket

GB_Rocket Contributing Member

Help a fellow Rocket fan in a far off land!

I am also begging for a copy of the day's programs. I'm especially interested in the NCAA game, Knicks game 7 and the docu.

I will pay for the tape, p&p etc. Or if you want anything Shakespeare related we can do a swap. :D