1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ESPN/Chris Sheridan on Tmac to NYK / Bosh situations

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by HowsMyDriving, Jan 11, 2010.

1. HowsMyDriving

HowsMyDriving Member

there's not that much that's new here, but it's always good to supplement our thoughts with the opinions of people who are closer to the teams than we are. anyway, here's what Chris Sheridan had to say, as quoted from today's chat:

on Tmac going to NYK, and how the trade might look:
    he also seems to think it is likely for Bosh to leave (which we all know), but that it is also highly unlikely that Toronto will move him/he will want to move until after the season, because of all the benefits of a sign-and-trade over a conventional trade. quotes below:

2. number22

number22 Member

Interesting, I can see the new york trading working out if they drop jeffries out of the talk.

3. Big MAK

Big MAK Member

Keep Tracy and S&T tracy for bosh in the offseason! :grin:

4. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Maybe McGrady+Cook for Mobley+Hughes? The Rockets could get under the luxury tax that way, and they only get expirings back. Hughes provides some extra depth, and has experience playing in a motion offense with the Wizards.

If we don't trade McGrady, how much of his salary will the Rockets have to pay (versus insurance)?

5. vince

vince Member

NY wants T-Mac :rolleyes:

As a fan that is a boring boring scenario.

If the Rockets make a trade with them, it would be for cap releif. Well, that's a financial decision the Rockets have to make, since they are still paying McGrady 23 million dollars for the season.

But, I think that's more the deal that will be made. I would think getting a starter in return would be ideal, but I'm not going to hold my breath.

As it is, Morey and Adelman have themselves a solid foundation of players.

This team needs a shooting guard, who doesn't think he isn't bigger than the team.

6. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

The Rockets would have to pay McGrady the entirety of his remaining salary. Since he has been banished by the team and is healthy enough to play, insurance won't pick up any part of his remaining salary. It definitely looks like all benefits of insurance on McGrady's contract have been exhausted by Les and the Rockets. Combine this with the Rockets being ~$2.6M above the tax threshold, and there would seemingly be some incentive to dump McGrady for less salary in return IF nothing better can be worked out.

That said, I wonder how much money Les Alexander would be willing to eat to say "Screw You!" to T-Mac and let him rot this season? Personally, I'd rather that Les just save the money and use it at the draft and in trades over the next year or so.

7. BrownBeast99

BrownBeast99 Member

Alan Hahn says the Knicks pursuit of McGrady is dead but Sheridan says the Knicks have "a legit shot"? :confused:

8. adammendoza4

adammendoza4 Member

Man I can't wait for a trade to finally happen!!!

9. J.R.

J.R. Member

I dont see deal with TMcG going to NY. Rockets want young talent and expirings, Knicks want to send back Curry and/or Jefferies w/o young talent. I Dont see either side budging in.

10. HTown_TMac

HTown_TMac Member

what type of sense does this make?

11. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

NY is not going to part with lee or galinari and they think we want their freaking garbage? What a bunch of putrid tards.

12. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

I'd bet Morey is just posturing right now, both by asking for young players + No continuing contracts back (i.e. essentially asking people to give him young talent for free) and by letting people know they don't want to do a buyout. It's only January, no reason not to trying to get free stuff even when the chances are remote.

ESPN's DailyDime stated that the Lux Tax distribution this year can be as high as $4.5 mil per team under tax, now this will get reduced as over limit teams scramble to get under tax (NOLA and Utah just made such moves), but there are enough teams hopelessly over to make the distribution quite large. I mean, NOLA reduced their tax bill by $2.8 mil, that's not even gonna result in a $100K reduction in distribution per team.

13. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Sheridan is probably answering from a practical and semi-NY-centric standpoint. Hahn is probably hearing from closer to the source, and from the sounds of things, after McGrady bent the Rockets over at last year's trade deadline, Morey doesn't want to oblige him by sending him to the Knicks, so the Knicks' asking price (my guess) is steeper than other teams'.

Not that the Knicks have a ton of players to offer.

14. saitou

saitou J Only Fan

What would NY's motivation be to do that trade? They are more interested in tmac the contract, tmac the player is just a bonus. Any trade that makes sense for them has to include dumping Jeffries.

15. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Contributing Member

I really wish they would stop talking about Jeffries. The guy sucks and regardless of the savings this year, we don't want his contract you NY morons! Let's talk Wilson Chandler or we aren't talking at all.

16. Rockets4279

Rockets4279 Member

S&T goes 1/1 their chance of this happening ain't happening. Why would Bosh sign a contract for less money when he can simply take more money by walking?