1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ESPN: Chances of trading Hidalgo just took a hit

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by countingcrow, Nov 5, 2003.

1. countingcrow

countingcrow Member

ESPN Article Link

Report: Wilson would be made available, too

Associated Press

DENVER -- Hoping to restructure their player payroll, the Colorado Rockies will listen to trade offers for All-Star first baseman Todd Helton and center fielder Preston Wilson, one of their best hitters last season.

Manager Clint Hurdle said Tuesday the Rockies are not shopping the two players but that they have to be prepared to make them available.

"We aren't in a position to say that anyone is untouchable," Hurdle told The Denver Post.

A Rockies spokesman and Helton's agent declined to comment on the report Wednesday. Hurdle was on vacation and his cell phone was not accepting messages.

In Helton's first six full seasons, he has batted .339 and averaged 36 homers and 122 RBI. He hit a team-high .358 this past season, missing his second National League batting crown by percentage points.

"Tough times call for tough decisions," Helton told the Post. "I would definitely be willing to listen [to trade proposals]."

Wilson led the National League with 141 RBI and was solid defensively.

"I would really like to remain in Denver," he said. "I feel like the foundation is there for a great franchise. However, I do understand that because of financial reasons, the organization may have to make a move."

The Rockies payroll is expected to be just above $60 million in 2004. But the team has committed $53.1 million to six players: right fielder Larry Walker, catcher Charles Johnson, pitcher Denny Neagle, Atlanta pitcher Mike Hampton, Wilson and Helton.

Helton is owed $130.9 million during the next eight seasons, an average of $16.4 million. Wilson has $21.5 million and two years left on a contract that offers a limited no-trade clause in 2005, his agent said.

Walker, Johnson and Neagle all have complete no-trade clauses.

Walker, 36, hit .284 with 16 homers and 79 RBI last season, and recently had surgery on his left shoulder. Johnson, 32, has caught more than 1,000 games, while Neagle, 35, is likely to miss next season after ligament transplant surgery on his throwing elbow.

2. PhiSlammaJamma

For Helton, this is his chance to legitimize his whole career.

3. kevwun

kevwun Member

If Helton wants to keep competing for batting titles, he better pray he doesn't get traded.

4. randerson153

randerson153 Member

What does this have to do with Hidalgo?

5. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

I'm assuming that countingcrow thinks it will be harder to move Hidalgo (ostensibly to the Yankees) if Preston Wilson is also available. Wilson makes less money and is a decent offensive/defensive player.

6. xiki

xiki Member

Lots of options for an outfielder of Doggie's class -- without having to pay RH. Astros are screwed.

Unless -- the 'stros get creative. How about Weaver, desperately needed to be dumped by Yanks but The Boss supposedly won't pay to have some team take JW. So, RH for Weaver and Johnson? Or, Yanks do pay 1/2 JW's '05 contract commitment?

Or RH goes for three 4 or so million dollar guys, increasing roster depth and flexibility?

I do not see him bringing anything else, IMO.

7. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Supposedly Johnson is an untouchable.

8. xiki

xiki Member

If they want to dump Weaver and get some talent they'll have to work at it, like the 'stros and others around MLB.

Or, suck it up and release JW.

9. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Member

I would really like to keep Doggy, if at all possible.

10. Uprising

Uprising Member

Man, I wish we could keep Doggy. If only Mcnair would buy the team.

11. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Or baseball could have a better revenue sharing plan or a salary cap. I don't think things would be much different under McNair.

12. Uprising

Uprising Member

You're right. I know, it most likely wouldn't be much different under McNair.

I just hate watching our best players leaving the team due to money issues. I know it is just part of sports. The players are making way too much money and they are milking it for as much as they can. I hated to see Wagner go, and now the possibility of losing Doggy. He was one of the big Bright Spots last season, it was fun to watch that guy play.

Does the MLB even have a Max setting for contracts? They should have a salary cap. Teams like NY are insane in the contracts they have.

13. rockets688

rockets688 Member

"I would really like to remain in Denver," he said. "I feel like the foundation is there for a great franchise."

Heh, or how about he likes Colorado because doubles in Coors turn into 450ft homers, might that have something to do with it?