1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[espn]Chad Ford talking on Houston

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by romain, Feb 23, 2011.

1. University Blue

We respectfully disagree.

Sincerely,

Rich Cho and his Predecessor

Mark Cuban and whoever is the GM at Dallas.

Tom Thibodeau

JVG

2. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

Inform me, Please.
    Tell me why this team should not be blown up?
    Why were we still trying to build around Yao injury after injury after injury?
    Why is our starting center only 6'6? FOR 2 YEARS IN ROW?
    Why aren't we playing our young guys when we're clearly a lottery team?
    Why aren't we purposely tanking when the team is tanking anyway?
    Why are we not trading a 30 year old power forward when were clearly not winning anytime soon?
    Inform me please.

3. MacYao223

MacYao223 Member

It doesn't help that AB has destroyed his own value. This time last yr, he was worth ALLLLOT more. What a shame we have no valuable assets.

4. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

You gotta place that blame where it belongs - Les Alexander. Yao is the gateway to China and Les wasnt about to trade that away until he had milked it for all its worth.

Put the crack pipe down - Morey has been handcuffed thus far by two max contracts , one gone last year and the other expires after this season , quite possibly off the books by tomorrow.
    Morey's gone after every big name FA thats been moved from Bosh to CP3 and Melo , even Amare (I dont think I woulda pulled the trigger without a physical either). It takes two to tango .... those guys didnt want to dance with the Rockets. Cant blame Morey for that.

From now until October is when Morey will be able to put his mark on the team although there isnt much left out there in the superstar category.

As for Les spending $$ - He's done so , this team has usually been at or over the LT. They arent afraid to spend money. Tho that may change if Yao is done and gone in the process drying up all the funds from China.

This franchise has had a run of horrible luck with injuries to its two best players , the fact that they are still able to put a competitive team on the court is a testament to how well run the orginization truely is.

Name another team that would be as competitive as the Rockets have been if they lost their two best players. Just take a look at Cleveland. It could be worse. (yeah yeah yeah , tank tank tank)

5. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

1.) Theres nothing to blow up? We are fine from a cap perspective when the next big free agents hit the market.
    2.) We arent?
    3.) Hayes is really good? Better than anything we could realistically acquire.
    4.) Patterson, Hill, Budinger, Lee, Lowry and Brooks are all young and in the rotation.
    5.) Tanking is for loser franchises
    6.) Sure, who do you want to trade him for? Pre-emptive answer1: because thats a stupid trade that doesnt make better now or in the future.Pre-emptive answer2: because that team won't make that trade.

INFORMED

6. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

Hayes is really good? What can you trade him for?
    Your young rotation is often criticized by this board & overmatched most nights.
    Uh, the Spurs tanked for Duncan, yeah they're losers.
    If you can't trade anyone on the roster you haven't done a very good job building one!
    Please wipe the Rockets RED Kool-Aid off your mouth after drinking sir!

7. houstonhoya

houstonhoya Contributing Member

1. it should be partially "blown up", as in it should definitely be modified, but not completely rebuild.

2. we haven't been trying to build around yao since 08-09, what was supposed to happen was yao comes back as a major contributor, not the centerpiece. next question.

3. i wish chuck hayes was taller, i really do, but if you think starting jordan hill or bradass ahead of him is a good idea, then you are silly (i seem to be correct in that regard). also, if you think that 7ft centers grow on trees, then that is also silly because people don't grow on trees, fruit do (wait, this time not silly, just plain stupid).

4. who might these "young guys" be? if you're talking about jordan hill, then you should know that jordan hill has the most inconsistent effort on this team. regarding patpat, i think yes, he should be playing more, so i like what i saw yesterday, didn't you? as for t-will, for some reason the kid's too stupid to understand the offense, much like how you are too stupid to understand our front office. ish "da ish" smith is stuck behind two good point guards, self-explanatory. and that chase budinger guy gets plenty of time, that's for sure.

5. tanking is for quitters, and with denver and utah out of the way now, we actually have a shot at the 8th seed. even if we tried very hard to tank (which sounds paradoxical), i doubt we'd end up with a top 7 pick.

6. the 30 yr old power fwd has been mentioned in various trade rumors and, presumably, he fals under the collective "EVERYONE" group that is on the trading block. scola is a baller and his contract is relatively friendly, i wouldn't be so quick to get rid of him. plus, he'd be a good piece to package in a deal for an elite player, so just have some patience ALLCAPSGUY.

though you are now informed, i fully expect you to remain silly. thanks for wasting my time.

8. burnnotice

burnnotice Rookie

Morey can't work with Yao Ming's huge expiring contract, Aaron Brooks, and Patrick Patterson? Come on Dave, ya gotta be doing something wrong...

[​IMG]

Suns/Rockets #1:

Steve Nash for Aaron Brooks, Pattrick Patterson, and Jared Jeffries

Suns/Rockets #2 (Phoenix's Counter-Offer)

Steve Nash, Vince Carter, and Robin Lopez for Brooks, Patterson, Yao Ming, and Jordan Hill

How about...

Hawks/Rockets:

Mike Bibby for Aaron Brooks and Jared Jeffries

Rockets/Wizards:

Kirk Hinrich and Al Thornton for Pattrick Patterson, Jared Jeffries, and Chase Budinger

76ers/Rockets:

Jodie Meeks and Tony Battie for Aaron Brooks

Rockets/Bobcats:

Aaron Brooks, Patrick Patterson, Terrence Williams, Brad Miller, and Jared Jeffries for Nazr Mohammed, Tyrus Thomas, Kwame Brown, and The Bobcats 2011 First Round Draft Pick.

Pistons/Rockets:

Prince, Hamilton, Wilcox, for Yao Ming, Aaron Brooks, and Brad Miller

9. Charybdis

Charybdis Member

I don't think I'd do any of these. If I could get Nash without giving up Patterson I'd be for that, but none of the other deals you have going interest me at all.

10. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

Its silly to keep calling Morey a genius. He's a smart guy who's not getting done right now.Stop apologizing for him.
    Its silly to think that you're going to get an elite player from the pieces you have. I mean "the Genius" has been "trying" for the last 2 years and he can't do it. Yet these guys seem to keep changing teams these days.
    Another glass of spin for sir?

11. burnnotice

burnnotice Rookie

That is why you are not a GM in The NBA...

12. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Actually, the problem is that we haven't sucked and basically tanked even with 20 to 40 million out. For the gazillionth time, he hasn't had much to work with cap wise. It just shows what kinda GM Morey is. Patterson sure did look good last night though..

13. houstonhoya

houstonhoya Contributing Member

weaaak rebuttal to my series of answers to your questions. i don't think morey is infallible, but i do think he's a real smart guy with a real good plan who's been stumbled by real big obstacles.

just because the team we've fielded this year has been mediocre at best does not indicate that morey is doing a mediocre job. some of you may claim "NO THATS EXACTLY WHAT IT MEANS, LETS BE PRAGMATIC AND REALISTIC". well honestly, first of all, don't use all caps, its obnoxious, and secondly, the young talent on this team, the very friendly contracts on the books, and the extremely hard working staff in our front office are very promising signs. give. it. time.

and for godsake, prove my answers wrong, i thought this was going to be fun. turns out you just think i'm right.

14. finalsbound

finalsbound Contributing Member

brooks definitely shat more on his value last night...

15. IzakDavid13

IzakDavid13 Contributing Member

I am confident that we will get something pretty nice done before deadlines done.
    In my crystal ball I've got Kendrick Perkins floating around.
    Also we could end up with G Wallace ,Jax , Dalembert, draft Picks, Gortat, Noah?, (lol) bit who knows.

Think positive, we aren't that bad for a team that lost 3 major stars in the last 3 seasons to injury or lunacy. If ( I know IF, if I had wings I could fly) but if Yao was healthy we would be around 40 wins not where we are now.

I know life can sometimes be a kick in the groin, but what do you do? Cry forever? Cut them off or give it a rub and wait for it to get better. I choose option 3.

16. Someguy1229

Someguy1229 Member

Really? I thought he played great last night, aside from some missed shots he was distributing well and really pushing the tempo.

Even the Pistons announcers thought that we were playing better when Brooks was out there rather than Lowry.

17. shakes05

shakes05 Rookie

Bad luck??? More of BAD decision to invest in Tracy McGrady...we knew when we traded for him in 2003 about his Back issues and lack of dedication to the game of basketball...he's a waste of "God given Talent"! I think we set ourselves back when we tried to make him our focal point of the organization. However, with Yao Ming, his injury is unfortunate...the point that I'm trying to make is that Morey has no "people-skills" to bring in a Superstar...hell, he's a walking calculator...we need to give a Superstar a reason why to come to Houston, rather than plugging it within an equation and show however it may be that the reason why you should come to Houston because you make my equation equal...WTF? We need a GM that actually played in the NBA, who actually knows real talent, and knows who is going to blossom into a premier player...Mr. Morey doesn't have this basketball IQ. He knows Statistics, but doesn't know basketball...He's running this team like NBA 2K11!

18. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

That's what I heard, anyone else hear anything different?

19. crimsonghost

crimsonghost Member

I put Morey's ability to judge basketball player talent as better than your ability to judge basketball GM talent. The job he has been doing is sufficient for the cards he has been dealt. He doesn't own the team so he doesn't get final say. Judging by his draft picks he at least has a halfway decent eye for talent.

News flash no one really knows who is going to blossom in a premier player we can make educated guesses, but no one knows for sure until its played out. Not sure what playing in the NBA has to do with anything. The GMs off of the top of my head that were players are Larry Bird, Kevin McHale, Danny Ferry and Isiah Thomas. Not shining examples of Player to GM transition. Wasn't Jordan the GM of the Wizards when they drafted Kwame? I'll take Morey over anyone on that list.

Just remembered Jerry West thats a shining example of a good transition but that was like 40 years ago times have changed.

20. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

2/9 and 3 turnovers isn't exactly great but at least he contributed in other ways for once.