1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ESPN: Cat's Pajamas

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by moligity, Aug 5, 2003.

1. moligity

moligity Contributing Member

Cat's Pajamas: ESPN Insider

Cat's Pajamas

By Ursula Liang
    ESPN The Magazine

Sunday, August 3
    Updated: August 4
    2:23 PM ET

Cuttino Mobley has style, and not that bling-bling purple-suit style. Mobley's style, legendary around the league, is a seamless synthesis of classic and casual cool. His chic sense has a pedigree: Mom used to own Jackie's Boutique in North Philly, so her son grew up combing clothes warehouses. Now the Rockets' combo-guard, whom his buddies call Cat or GQ, studies fashion mags like playbooks, and has been known to drop 20 G's at one of his many tailors. But he's not all shop, no substance. "I'm the best ironer of my friends," he boasts. Which is just fine with Raptor buddy Alvin Williams and 'mate Stevie Francis, who get him to do all of theirs -- when he's not consulting on their wardrobe. Here's Mobley's seven-day lesson in ready-to-wear.

DAY 1: TIGHT IS RIGHT
    Wool sweater by Dolce & Gabbana, distressed leather jeans by Vaunt, buckle loafers by Prada
    Growing up in Mom's shop, Mobley learned a few tricks. "I can tell a woman's size just by looking at her," he says. "Now I know that's rude." Clearly, he knows what's fitting for an off-day in the fall. And, clearly, he's unafraid of clingy European cuts: "If something is supposed to be tight, it's gotta be tight."

DAY 2: TEED UP
    White sleeveless undershirt by Jockey, jeans by Paper Denim
    Mobley once shelled out $65K for a watch he couldn't live without. But he insists you don't need crazy money to look sharp. Every few weeks, he restocks his supply of just-the-right-white sleeveless undershirts. His cousin Kamal ships him an old-school "neighborhood pack" (3 for $10) that he buys on the streets of Philly.

DAY 3: HOMESPUN
    Moses Malone throwback and Sixers shootaround shirt by Mitchell & Ness, T-shirt by Jockey, jeans by Rocawear, Air Max sneakers by Nike
    Mobley's advice to rooks: dress well on gamedays. "We need to look professional for the fans who don't know we aren't thugs," he says. Still, you have to represent, so Cuttino dons some Philly pride whenever he wants to make a hometown statement.

DAY 4: QUIET STORM
    Custom-made pinstripe suit and shirt by Everett Hall, leather belt by Gucci, shoes by Salvatore Ferragamo
    When hitting upscale nightspots like Belvedere, his Houston bar, or a star-studded event like the ESPYs, Cuttino rolls with a relaxed yet refined look. "Subtlety is key," he says. The man has learned from his mistakes: he still can't believe he wore two-toned jeans and shearlings in the late '80s.

DAY 5: THE NEW BLACK
    Summer wool slacks and custom cotton shirt by Dion Scott of Beverly Hills, tie by Stefano Ricci, shoes by Prada
    Cuttino's two fashion don'ts: 1) glitter; 2) vests with no shirt. Notice the absence of any real-men-don't-wear-pink tenet. "I've got lots of pink clothes -- mostly dressy," he says. "I even have a pink watch to match." Confident guy.

DAY 6: SWEET SPOT
    Linen suit and candy-stripe shirt by Ron & Ron, boots by Cesare Paciotti
    Cuttino is a giver. He commits to charity events like Zo's Summer Groove (where he'll rock funky casual looks like this), and his fashion passion gives continued support to black designers like Everett Hall, Ron & Ron and Dion Scott. The Salvation Army gets a little something too: Mom prunes Cat's closets whenever she can.

DAY 7: AT EASE
    Zipper sweater by Gucci, jeans by Paper Denim, belt and boots by Gucci
    Mobley has two giant closets: one for his urban, everyday wear, the other for his dressier designer threads. And he's as at home in this polished nighttime look as he is in shorts and flip-flops. "It's all about attitude," he says. "If you feel comfortable, that's how you'll look."

This article appears in the August 18 issue of ESPN The Magazine.

2. TheHorns

TheHorns Member

Put a little of that focus into learning not to dribble out the entire shot clock and he could be a fringe all-star.

3. RocDreamer

RocDreamer Contributing Member

Oh my God. Would the season please start already.

4. We're Back

We're Back Member

It really is crazy how much thought some players put into things like their clothes and their hair, yet they make the same simple mistakes again and again on the court.

5. Nero

Nero Member

I'm glad I put my Diet Dr Pepper down before I read that!

LOL

6. pasox2

pasox2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

He is forgetting the khaki pants, turtleneck sweater, durty socks. Or maybe # 1 is a variation on that. Accessorize with c-real box and blank cds.

One word, Cat - "fomfotable."

Now, hit the club. R U Hot? But of course!

7. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

Do these kind of article's help Cuttino's street cred?

8. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

Just because you guys are not into fashion doesn't mean Cuttino can't be into it either.

And I am sure you guys think about your own work 24/7 right? :rolleyes:

9. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Actually, yes. Of course, I'm a male prostitute....

10. codell

codell Contributing Member

Suprised it hasn't been said yet .......................

If Cat spent more time concentrating on team play instead of clothes, he might amount to something. :rolleyes:

11. crossover

crossover Contributing Member

cat does Francis' ironing?

now we understand...

12. sncns

sncns Contributing Member

Yep, we all know where his priorities are...

He should be gald to be playing in the over-hyped, over-priced, under-performing NBA of today.

13. SLA

SLA Member

GQ!!!!!! What a nice nickname. Cat sounds better...and he's friends with Alvin Williams?? Cool...

14. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I think codell was kidding.

15. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

Well, now we know that Cat is a metrosexual. I thought I saw more products than most men need in his bathroom during that Cribs episode. I remember something about shoes and closet space. Cat has a point though, about looking professional and not coming accross as thugs. He basically says that if you don't dress up, people will automatically assume you are a thug.

16. wink2moochie

wink2moochie Member

i think cat dresses nice so when GMs pick out players in the SPAA(sucky players adoption agency) they will be impressed with him and maybe adopt him for the leauge minimum, this ofcourse is after the rockets realize how terrible he really is, thats after they see through "layers of decit" no pun intended

17. Just B

Just B Member

Thank you! Cuttino goes about 6 months without any time to rest during the season, he's on the road half of the time, and then when he does something he enjoys during his time off, people always try to jump on him for it. Give the guy a break and let him live his own life!

18. diogenes

diogenes Contributing Member

So Mobley is now in the Bar business ?

19. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

There are plenty of teams who would still pay Cat more than we are.

20. codell

codell Contributing Member

You are on a role w2m. Keep up the good work. This ranks right up there with nicknaming Ewing "gorilla" and all the other racism filled posts of yours. ;)