1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ESPN] Carmelo Anthony to sign with Rockets if buyout reached

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RKREBORN, Jun 28, 2017.

1. Gorilladunks

Gorilladunks Member

I dont want melo on a buyout. We couldnt keep him next year because we couldnt pay him. We would be over the cap. We have no biannual exception even for 3-4 million of that since we already used it so its gone for next year. We could only sign him for minimum I believe and he isnt going to take that. We have to do this via trade to get his rights so he can either opt in or renegotiate a new deal

BoneYardDog and bilaal14 like this.
  2. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Les is already running away from the luxury tax.

Let's see if the new owner wants any piece of it.

3. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

I mean if it's that vs. not getting him , I'll take it. With melo we have a great shot to make a series vs the Warriors truly competitive .

D-rock likes this.
  4. Brown Lost It

Brown Lost It Member

Jimmy Chitwood likes this.
  5. D-rock

D-rock Member

Would replace Oliver with Bobby, since Cam is actually signed. Uthoff too.

Paul - Gordon - Taylor
    Harden - Mbah a Moute
    Ariza - Tucker - Uthoff
    Melo - Anderson - Oliver - Qi
    Capela - Nene - Black

Qi, Oliver and Uthoff may see more playing time with Vipers but this would be a great 11 man rotation for regular season.

6. dkoune

dkoune Rookie

Sexy AF

Please let the knicks blow this one.

Joshfast likes this.
  7. dkoune

dkoune Rookie

Then i hope Anderson and Melo both have 8 threes against the Knicks in te first game they play against. Knicks will be like damn shoulda got Anderson.

Pen15clubber likes this.
  8. icewill36

icewill36 Member

lock this thread hes not getting bought out....

9. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

I think it would be awesome to get him without bird rights. Perfect excuse to not overpay him. We need him for 1 year, and only if he's in shape and committed for the next year >> in which case, he should sign for the MLE. He could make more elsewhere for sure, but he is getting buyout money and he is not going to get offered big money by NY or LA at his age. So he can go to some mid market team for more or stay with the Rockets/Harden/Paul for less. I see that as a win-win >> if he doesn't pick us in that situation aged 34, we don't need that type of person.

Hope they buy him out. We would instantly become the #1 offensive team, best depth and tons of defensive pieces.

Cash Cam likes this.
  10. Cash Cam

Cash Cam Member

Exactly.

11. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

A team like the 76'ers or Twolves would offer him a 1 or 2 year max before they have to pay their core.

12. Mathloom

Supporting Member

I doubt they offer a 34 year old with poor work ethic a 1 year max. Those 1 year maxes are for older guys who can help the youngsters with professionalism, work ethic and experience. That's why it was Ginobili and Reddick.

Even so, if they do offer it and he takes it, we're fine without that character. I'm skeptical about a 33 year old Melo, but I am sure a 34 year old Melo who continues to prefer money over winning is replaceable. That guy is not going to come through in the clutch or do the work it takes to be productive at 34.

Kevin Durant is taking a discount. Stars and role players on contenders have to take discounts these days, that's just what the market dictates. Golden State can't be Golden State with Ian Clark, Kevin Durant, Iguodala, et al earning what the worst teams in the league can offer them. As a GM you look at it and say: we HAVE to have guys who are earning less than what the worst teams will offer them, otherwise there simply isn't enough room under the cap.

You have to understand that the mere act of taking Philly money means he is not the piece we are projecting him to be.

13. hakeemthagreat

lol. Stephen A Smith's word Is very credible. I guess clutchfans picks & chooses who they may or may not listen too

mario_v likes this.
  14. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Where does poor work ethic come from?

Have you seen how good he is at basketball?

That's not poor work ethic. Doesn't work like that in this level.

15. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Just want to make sure you are saying we shouldn't want any player that would rather play for 20 million per year for multiple years instead of 5 million for multiple years. You don't want ANY players that would choose to quadruple their earnings? You really mean that or are you engaging in hyperbolic rhetoric?

16. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Stephen a already backed off of this after it was originally reported and said he would go to cavs

17. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

I'll give him credit for breaking the Lebron to Miami way before anyone else.

saleem likes this.
  18. Mathloom

Supporting Member

He is regularly out of shape and his numbers are declining too fast regardless of the ups and downs of his team. Being good at scoring is not the same as being able to perform for a champion in your mid 30's.

Look at Tim Duncan or Lebron or Kobe or Millsap or Chris Paul or tons of championship calibre players who when they were/are in their mid 30's are managing their fitness DESPITE being great at basketball.

Melo is so out of shape Ryan Anderson dominated him in a game last season, and it was for no other reason than fitness and good choices on the court. Melo is not that guy. Melo is the guy people laugh at when they see his workout videos.

Melo needs to change. Hopefully being here will change him, and that's part of the deal. If we are getting the same chubby poor decision maker, we are barely going to get better than we would be with Anderson who is in pretty bad shape himself. To make that change, Melo has to understand what it takes to beat a behemoth, and he has to want to do what it takes to beat them.

If he takes a max from a middling eastern conference team in some stupid market, he has not understood it, and therefore he becomes an expensive Rudy Gay.

What's going to be on the table for him is someone offering him 50m/2yrs, at best. We can offer him 40/4yrs and he can retire after 2-3 years. Once you factor in the taxes and him not wanting to move his kid around a lot and being on a team with James Harden and Chris Paul >> if he picks the money, so that his career earnings would be $300m rather than $295m, then good riddance. That would be a decision so dumb, it makes you forget the guy we got for free is suddenly gone.

19. hakeemthagreat

Your point? Maybe Melo changed his mind. Stephen A is credible, even though I don't agree with him all the time

20. Mathloom

Supporting Member

No, the comparison here is for a Reddick-like contract.

If he chooses $20m for 1 season in Philly vs 3-4 year MLE from the Rockets, at his age, in this NBA, given Philly vs Rockets, and given Rockets vs Warriors >> correct, I would not care if that guy walked.