1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ESPN: Can Houston Break From The Pack?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Andre Barrett, Apr 2, 2012.

1. Andre Barrett

Andre Barrett Member

Link

Nice little write up on the Rockets.

2. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Interesting read. Thanks for posting.

The one big factor for the stretch run is going to be health. Camby is banged up. Lowry and Martin already out. If these guys (esp. Lowry, but also Martin give that the team can use healthy bodies) returns soon, it's going to boost the team. On the other hand, if additional injuries hit, the Rockets don't really have much to spare.

I think Camby (if healthy enough) and Dalembert are a good complementary set for each other. The Rockets had to sit Dalembert often because of (a) inconsistency (some games he just ain't that good) and (b) foul trouble. It helps having 2 of these big shot blockers around even if you don't have to have one on the floor all the time.

Not more note: One area in which the absence of Lowry and Martin hurts the team is that the lack of perimeter depth makes it more difficult for the Rockets to go small by putting Parsons at the 4-- which was statistically a pretty effective option when deployed (against selected match-ups and not all the time). Unlike most "small lineups," the Rockets small lineup isn't just good for spacing the floor, it is also pretty decent defensively with quick guys looking for steals. Besides, these lineups are not even that small given that Parsons is the same sizes as the other PFs.

Right now, the only way you play Parsons at the 4 is basically have Dragic, Lee and Budinger at the 1, 2 and 3. These are basically the only healthy perimeter players you have other than Earl Boykins. Doing so really depletes the stamina of the regulars.

#2 Carl Herrera, Apr 2, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2012
  3. Sydeffect

Sydeffect Member

If Martin or Lowry returns and plays off the bench for a few games at least, then the Rockets I think will be a lock for playoffs.

4. typhooonn

typhooonn Member

lock??? are you sure ?

5. RocketsMAN!

RocketsMAN! Member

In before the "lock"?

6. RedNation

RedNation Contributing Member

Well, he said "I THINK" so that implies that he isn't sure ;)

7. jayhow92

jayhow92 Member

I think we'll be right in the middle of it with our schedule. Tonight's game is really big.

8. Damion Laverne

Injuries have killed the Rox the past three years. I truly believe that the team would have made the playoffs if fully healthy the last two.

9. txppratt

txppratt Contributing Member

it's nice to finally have tall guys in the middle. that took waaaay too long.

10. Juxtaposed Jolt

Honestly, I'm hoping to get our full complement of players back (Lowry, Martin, etc.) so that we can work them back into game-shape for the playoffs.

Right now, I think we're a lock for the playoffs though; but how far we go depends on who suits up, to be honest.

11. SuperMarioBro

SuperMarioBro Member

"Not a threat to the Thunder"? We beat them twice and came damn close to a third win, too. I mean I wouldn't bet on us beating them, but c'mon, I think we'd put up a good fight.

12. Kruze10

Kruze10 Member

Thank you for posting this. I was contemplating signing up for Insider just to read this, nice write up, but I'm glad I didn't.

The Rockets have a better chance of making the playoffs without those guys. They need time to adjust and the Rockets have too much at risk to let them get in some time just to see what they can do. Really depends on when they comeback though because if its soon then they can adjust mid-game and give Dragic and Lee much needed rest.

13. Rockets Jones

Rockets Jones Member

I guarantee you we won't have a fully healthy twin towers if and when we make the playoffs. It's just too much to ask and although the writer of the article states that McHale doesn't go small very often, he does. We'll see if he goes away from it when Dalembert is feeling better again, that's the key. We cannot win games like these with Patterson, Scola at times, not being able to rebound. Would rather have Landry over Patterson right now, that guy went after the boards and hustled.