1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ESPN/Broussard] Caron Butler on Rockets' Wish List

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rockets934life, Jan 11, 2010.

1. adammendoza4

adammendoza4 Member

Id like caron butler,foye and miller..
    Miller can shoot,I rmbr wen he lighted up da rockets
    With 3's all night

2. htown1984

htown1984 Member

I dont like Caron Butler for this team hes not a good shooter, hes slightly better then ariza in field goal percentage. he averages 18 ppg, because like Ariza shoots high volume of shots and makes 1/3 of them. just look as hes stats. I much rather have Antawn Jamison (i know hes older but the guy shoots a high percent and is averaging 22 ppg. He more efficient then Butler

3. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

I'm sure Morey would rather have Butler's manageable contract on the books for the next 2 years over Iggy's overpaid 4. Plus with DM already rejecting a Mike James throw in all we will be getting in return would be expiring's for a huge expiring.

Pretty much 2 birds with 1 stone, getting an All Star caliber player with breaking down Tracy's contract to free up cash and trade/free agent possibilites in the offseason. Very smart Mr. Morey, very smart indeed. :grin:

4. rockets934life

TMAC gave us NOTHING except a freaking MIGRANE, not sure why so many people are being so picky, lets look at the three main trading chips being thrown at DMorey...

1) Butler - SF who can slide over and play SG, his numbers are down but some of that can be attributed to Agent Zero. Tough attitude and work ethic, honestly sounds like he would fit in nicely however not a superstar so he would be a complementary piece to the championship puzzle.

2) Noah - Can't stand the guy whining and screaming like a little $%^% HOWEVER the guy is a BEAST...11ppg 12rpg 1.7bpg shoots 50% from the field and has approved his free throw shooting to 74%. Noah would take an incredible amount of pressure off Yao defensively and he would do the dirty work for the squad.

3) Iggy - Of the three, he is the most intriguing because he would be the closest thing we would get to the old TMAC...slasher, scoring and defender who could put up monster numbers. Not a good 3 point shooter but 43% from the field isn't horrible and can create for others while playing disruptive "D".

All three serve a purpose and would help the team in a BIG way, so no complaining from me if we can land anyone of the three.

5. htownfan_9210

htownfan_9210 Member

Forget all this Butler and Iggy talk....I want that Joe Johnson guy out of Atlanta who just dropped 36 on the Celtics. Hopefully there's a way we can get him. Talk about the perfect piece to the championship puzzle, he fits in greatly with this kind of team as Atlanta pretty much has the same kind of team with no Yao.

6. JayZ750

JayZ750 Member

I'm not disagreeing with some of the points your making, primarily those dealing with contract. Contract(s) is the issue here.

In regards to player, as it seems you are arguing against Iggy and for Butler, where there really isn't that much evidence one way or another that either is better. AI's been every bit the "scoring wing" that Butler has - though Butler's offense has gone down the last 2 years sans Gilbert kicking up the tempo in general - while being a better assist man. They both shoot similar %'s, rebound well, seem to defend well, etc.

I personally think AI is the better all around player...and is 4 years younger.

BUT, I also understand the contract implications, and I'd much much rather have Butler plus everyone else on the team and even the ability to add an MLE free agent, than Iggy but have to take Dalembert, lose Scola and/or Lowry and not be able to make any other moves.

Though, and I continue to contend this, Dalembert, skill-wise, would actually be a great addition to the team (contract aside). His minutes have been up a bit, but he's been playing really solid lately, averaging 12 ppg, 12 rpg and 3 bpg in January's 5 games, while shooting 70%.

7. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Member

The way he's currently being used, true.

Given more of a starter's role (if he could stay healthy), less true.

But clearly the idea of Hinrich isn't going to blow our skirts up, unless he's packaged to a third team in whatever deal Morey pulls off.

If the idea is for the Bulls (rather than the Rockets) to acquire a Grade A free agent in the summer, they'd have to offer up more than Hinrich. Joakim would be a great center for us but they won't let him go. First round draft pick? Hmmmmm.

And I'd rather have Iggy than Butler. Much more tread on the tires and never misses a game.

8. MoJoV3

MoJoV3 Member

If Morey and staff doesn't believe Rockets can go deep in the playoffs this year, Scola's probably gone before the deadline too. When Yao gets back, there's not going to be enough minutes to go around for Yao, Andersen, Hayes, Scola, and Landry...Landry's going to want a big payday...so is Scola...one's gonna have to go

9. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

He is a much better shooter than Ariza. When he averaged 20+ points he shot over 45% while only attempting roughly 16 FG's per game.

10. Rox225

Rox225 Member

How about working out a three way trade between Houston, Toronto, and Washington. I was playing around with the scenarios but didn't have enough time to make it work. I was thinking the outlines of such a trade would include McGrady to Washington, Landry/Ariza to Toronto, and Butler/Bosh to Houston, with pieces in between to make salaries match.

11. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Ronny, while I would be remiss if I didn't say that there is an element of truth to what you say, I think you are WAY over-generalizing here when it comes to Hinrich. I think if you went around the league and asked coaches and GMs which of the above white guards/wings is the best NBA player, the overwhelming consensus would be Hinrich. I also think that most GMs would LOVE to add a Kirk Hinrich to their team, although probably not at his current inflated salary.

I think you will be hard-pressed to find one (reasonable) poster on this BBS who doesn't think that Hinrich is overpaid. However, there are many here (including myself) who think that Hinrich is one heck of an overall player who has been subjugated to a lesser role in Chicago behind the wunderkind Derrick Rose. That said, take a look at what Kirk has done recently after being inserted into the starting lineup. Keep in mind, he's still playing out of position somewhat. But THAT is the type of role he could have on this Rockets' team. Starting at "SG" next to Brooks.

Now, if the Bulls are THAT desperate to unload Hinrich's salary, I wonder what the Rockets could get as additional compensation for accommodating them? I'm just saying that, if Kirk Hinrich is the "bad" part of the trade, and significant additional assets can be acquired in order for the Rockets to take on his contract, I could think of far worse alternatives for Daryl Morey as far as trades go.

Again, Ronny, I agree that Hinrich is overpaid and that SOME people (but not everyone here) may view him with rose-colored glasses due to his pedigree and "relatability". However, you greatly discount Hinrich as a player and do a disservice to your own talent evaluation skills if you just look at him and see an overpaid, overrated white guy. The guy's a baller.

1 person likes this.
  12. killtaker

killtaker Member

To Toronto
    T.Ariza
    C.Landry
    M.Miller

To Washington
    T.McGrady
    1st round pick [Toronto]

To Houston
    C.Butler
    C.Bosh

Works in trade machine. I think Toronto accepts that offer. Washington.. maybe?

13. pmac

pmac Member

Yeah, I think Hinrich would be a great fit here and lol...it's not because he's white.

He's a versatile player that helps a team win in multiple ways. Morey's track record shows that he values that more than any 1 dimensional players.

14. JoeBarelyCares

I thought I saw on espn or somewhere a Jamison to the Clippers for Camby rumor. Perhaps a three way deal could be done where we get Butler and Camby, the Clips get Jamison, and Washington gets TMac. The Clips would have to throw in a player making the minimum to get the deal done under the 25% rule. This trade would not only get the Rockets under the luxury tax threshold for this year, it would bring us a player with an expiring contract in Camby, who would perfectly fit a need we have.

15. HayesDPOY

HayesDPOY Member

Why do the other teams do these trade?
    You cannot just dump garbage for assets back.

16. waytookrzy079

waytookrzy079 Member

Sign me up for that! Go after BOSH with WHOEVER and entice JOE JOHNSON after the season ends to come to Houston. Joe Johnson (if i remember hearing this on TV correctly on NBATV) that he may leave because the fan support for the Hawks is terrible or something like that. If he comes to big market team, and has superstar with him, can you imaging the damage this team would do?!

Possible lineup to start 2010-2011....

PG -AB
    SG -Johnson
    SF -Battier or Ariza
    PF - Bosh
    C -Yao

17. DieHard Rocket

"that Joe Johnson guy..."?

Did you just start watching the NBA recently? I mean he's not Kobe or Lebron but he's been around a while.

18. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

Our assets that they will be recieving are the expirings of Cook and Tracy, although I doubt that's what is being proposed.

We have cheap talent so I'm sure if we end up with a CB3, Miller, McGee trade go down we'll have to throw them a bone and give up a young, cheap asset of our own. McGee is a great young prospect so I doubt he'll be had for a Brian Cook and Tracy which in their eyes would be nothing.

19. waytookrzy079

waytookrzy079 Member

It may work on Trade Machine, but there's no way TORONTO does this deal... no way they give up Bosh AND a 1st round pick.

20. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I know about 2 ~ 3
    years go . . .folx were CLAMOURING for Hinrich

Rocket River