1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ESPN/Broussard] Caron Butler on Rockets' Wish List

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rockets934life, Jan 11, 2010.

1. Asian Sensation

Indiana is 12-25 and even though Granger has missed some time... he's not leading the Pacers anywhere fast anytime soon. I know it's a long shot/pipe dream to get Granger but Mcgrady would at least sell some tickets (he is a big name after all) and they will have a huge amount of cap relief to start over if all else fails. I think Granger is about as close as it gets to a franchise player but he's still far from it. I like Murphy's game but we just don't have a need for him.

2. meh

meh Member

If Philly really offered just Iggy and Dalembert for T-Mac, I'm surprised Morey hasn't jumped on that. I think the actual proposal asked for some good talent back, which is why Morey balked. But it's pretty hard to top Iggy in terms of talent one can get for T-Mac's big expiring. And Dalembert's big contract only runs one more year after this one.

Not a big fan of Butler. But if Morey likes him, I certainly won't disagree.

3. SpaceCityKid

SpaceCityKid Rookie

Danny granger is what the pacers are going to build around is what I belief.
    But he wouldn't be a bad franchise player, I just still believe that iggy can be a great franchise player just put in the right team, and the rockets are that team. Please morey make this happen. Iggy to Houston.

4. shortfuse3

shortfuse3 Member

McGrady for Butler, Miller, AND FOYE?

we would be instant contenders

5. J.R.

J.R. Member

Larsv, I have to say, you are a good business man haha. You sell this very well and I have to say, I'm buying into it. With that said, it all sounds too good to be true hah.

6. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Member

Contenders for what? A team with the most wings?

These are good players, but do the Rockets really need 3 more SG/SF types?

I'd imagine they'd flip at least 1, and most likely 2 of these guys in a separate trade. The one guy from the Wiz the Rockets can really use is Branden Haywood, I think.

7. SpaceCityKid

SpaceCityKid Rookie

I would like to see the rockets try to get miller somehow. A real nice bench player, Haywood would be nice as well, I just see Caron as a fillout to match tmacs contract. We should e like the rest of the league and want no part in with the wizards, agent zero is a bad bad man haha.

8. Pete Chilcutt

Pete Chilcutt Member

Miller hasn't been able to stay healthy in quite some time...

9. herro

herro Member

bring Nick Young and Javale McGee over with Caron...

10. HI Mana

HI Mana Member

If I'm Ernie Grunfeld, I'm pushing for including both DeShawn Stevenson and Javaris Crittenton into the trade, along with Mike Miller to match salary. The Wizards could also take back Jermaine Taylor, since they'll be lacking some wings after the trade. Saves the Wiz around $2.8M this year, along with $14.6M next year if Stevenson picks up his option, which he will. Also washes the organization's hands of Crittenton (though if it gets Arenas's contract nullified, he deserves a place in the Anthony Carter salary cap savior memorial).

For the Rockets, you take on a bunch of salary, get a good wing who's been playing badly this year, and has a mentality that would seem to fit well with the squad, and Mike Miller, another guy that the organization has made calls on in the past.

I just can't see any kind of Sixers deal happening unless you can find some way of flipping Jason Kapono to a third team. I think it's pretty clear the Rockets won't take on Dalembert, simply because they know how hard a large contract is to move, and he has a fairly substantial trade kicker that counts against the luxury tax and salary cap. The deal works with Iguodala, Willie Green and Kapono, but I've looked around the league, and there are very few teams that might be willing to take on Kapono's remaining money. The one intriguing possibility may be in Orlando, depending on how they do in the playoffs. I would imagine that they're going to have to dump either Marcin Gortat or Brandon Bass next year just to clean up their books, and they may decide that Kapono makes J.J. Redick expendable.

11. Honey Bear

Honey Bear Member

If you've watched Philly play over the past 4 years, you'll know what you see is what you get with AI (which I described in my previous post). Despite Butler being 4 years older, I think he has more room for improvement than Iguodala in an Adelman system.

Any of the Wizards' play this year is irrelevant with a new coach and Arenas the ball stopper. Watch how Caron picks up his game for the rest of the season with Arenas out. Shawn Marion was a picture perfect fit in Phoenix but they got rid of him because they knew he wasn't worth anywhere near Iguodala money and he doesn't have a half court skillset.

Your whole argument is based on the notion you can put a superstar player or two alongside Iguodala, which would essentially make him a 3rd option. He's not a creator or a shooter, and for $15 million, you'd want one of those qualities from your star SF to win in playoff basketball. There are going to be a lot of angry people wondering why Iguodala's fantasy stats don't correlate with wins and losses.

Acquiring Iguodala doesn't push Houston past mediocrity, essentially we're just collecting another asset. A deal with the Wizards would be more beneficial in that regard.

I'll be happy with any deal involving Philly or Washington.

12. SpaceCityKid

SpaceCityKid Rookie

Yeah that's true, but I think he's just had a couple of bad years injury wise nothing to harsh or career ending. He produces.

13. Asian Sensation

No way to Mike Miller. Lots of players produce when they're healthy. Some players produce and are also injury prone. See Yao Ming/Tracy Mcgrady/Michael Redd/Camby/Amare/Boozer/J.Oneal etc. Besides Miller is about to turn 30. He's starting to look washed up. Just look at his career numbers and it looks like a bell curve. He peaked about 4 years ago and it's been all downhill from there. He's a smart player that can hit the 3 and make some good plays but the thought of other 2's and 3's blowing by him will drive you Nucking Futs if you thought Artest was bad last year.

14. BasketballReasons

Anyone who whines about Iggy or stuff like that are just stupid. Who cares if he's your 1st,2nd or 3rd option? We are giving up NOTHING for the guy.
    I'd be glad if we got a player of Kyle Lowry's talent back in any McGrady deal.
    Most of you guys are day-dreaming, and I doubt we'll get a player as good as Iggy in any deal involving JUST McGrady.

How can you guys spit on Iggy while are we are giving up is some washed up superstar who cause's drama? Even if you don't like Iggy, you trade him after!

15. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Member

He was on the All Defensive 2nd team and shot over .415 from 3s in '07. He got league recognition. Previous year before that and after he as a "way better than Rafer" alternative. Which I think was why he was coveted here. I always though he overrated even in college. Maybe Steve Blake got that treatment here
    :eek:

16. Codman

Codman Member

I am salivating for Tough Juice to become a Rocket. It would be even better if we didn't have to give up anyone from our core at this point.

17. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Member

I have a sinking feeling that the superstar Chris Paul-type acquisition will not happen, and what will instead happen is something more akin to the Rafer-Lowry trade, where none of us were sure what we were getting, and a few of us even outright condemned the team for throwing in the towel on the year (not me of course).

But it all worked out in the end--it turned out the move was correct, and we got back a major piece with many miles left in the tank to boot. Whoever Morey chooses to acquire this trade deadline, we may not all be supportive at it at first, but I trust it will be the right move. If that player happens to be Noah or Tyrus Thomas, so be it. Morey has the track record to deserve our trust. He might not be a star, but he will be someday.

18. Scarface281

Scarface281 Member

??

Shawn Marion would really improve this team, so I guess you're just making an even better case for Iguodala coming here.

19. BasketballReasons

Read 3 posts above :) And i'd be more than happy with a Noah type of player.

20. Salvy

Salvy Member

[​IMG]

hmm, I wonder how this is all going to play out.....