1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ESPN/Broussard] Caron Butler on Rockets' Wish List

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rockets934life, Jan 11, 2010.

1. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Member

I am guessing the Rockets would have to do a 3 way to get Martin... send McGrady to get some assets (younger players, draft picks, etc) to be packaged to Kings.

2. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

I been wanting Caron Butler for a while, much more than Iggy, hopefully Morey makes something happen.

3. J.R.

J.R. Member

Morey is going to surprise us all and none of the trades will be done. ;) :) Expect the unexpected.

4. Num1RoXfaN

Num1RoXfaN Member

YES i would love this trade...CARON, MILLER And maybe FOYE this is great imagine miller and chase on the court at the same time... no more shooting slumps :grin:

5. Pete Chilcutt

Pete Chilcutt Member

If Miller can stay on the court for more then 10 games ;)

Id like Caron, but he would be my second choice, Go for Kevin Martin first.

Iggy would be nice too...

6. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

Precisely. In what I have seen of Caron Butler, he seems like the SG version of Lamar Odom to me. A great No.2 wingman, but not a go-to player/scorer. He would make the team better, but it would be folly to think he could lead us to a championship.

7. Honey Bear

Honey Bear Member

Philadelphia has an offense that definitely extracts the most out of AI as a playmaker, he's no TMac or LeBron in terms of how he sees the floor. He's primarily a turnover prone finisher/slasher who makes the occasional clutch jump shot - but the mid range or perimeter game isn't his forte. Is it really worth paying a guy like that $15 million when you have Yao clamoring around in the paint looking for spacing so he can post up? Acquiring Iguodala makes the Rockets a better team but it really just improves on our strengths (as a scrappy, defensive team)- instead of fixing our weaknesses where Houston is consistently exploited.

Joe Johnson, Chris Bosh and Caron Butler are all better fits for this team in terms of adding versatility and a mid range game to deep game half court scoring option. I don't think Caron is the better player than AI, but if Houston can get something extra with him for the bulk of McGrady's expiring contract, it's a better deal in terms of acquiring assets.

8. Honey Bear

Honey Bear Member

Also, in terms of age, Iguodala has peaked and flatlined at 18-6-5 for the past 4 years. Butler is 4 years older but has steadily shown improvement when he's been asked to step up (i.e. no ball stopping Arenas).

Iguodala just doesn't have a go to move. He can't shoot over double teams. He can slash to the basket but uses the pass as a bail out option, not with the purpose of execution. That's why 76er fans think he's more expendable than Thaddeus Young.

I know most of you saw Shawn Marion play when he was with the Suns - AI is essentially this guy on steroids. Good player, but doesn't add an extra element to this team. Not a crafty enough scorer given his contract.

9. Aznoob

Aznoob Member

He's never played for Rick Adelman, though. ;)

I'm curious to see what kind of things Adelman and his asst. coaches are able to teach Iggy, if he does get traded here.

I could see Iggy being a huge part of the team.

10. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Member

Shawn Marion is really good. Gooder than 90% of the players in the league.

11. BasketballReasons

12. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Member

Remember last time the Rockets got someone from McGee's alma mater?

[​IMG]

13. davidxhz

davidxhz Member

I don't like butler, he is not a good player.....

14. ryano2009

ryano2009 Member

Why tha hell Washington would do it ???

15. larsv8

larsv8 Member

Iggy is 25, not sure why you think he has peaked. He could still improve his shooting and has never had a coach like Adelman, despite having experience in a motion offense.

Butler has been bad this year, absolutely terrible. His skill set fits a little bit better but he older and has trouble staying on the court.

He doesnt need a go to move. He still fills up the stat sheet and can do a good job of back up ball handling duties if Brooks and Lowry are having off nights. Not only that, his defense is fantastic. A Battier/Iggy defensive combo is nuts!

Marion is a spectacular player when in the right system. This doesnt really help your argument...

If you have a chance to get Iggy you do it. He makes Ariza expendable, which is yet another trade asset to throw at Toronto for Bosh. Swalling Dalemberts contract will be tough, but its only one more year, then we get PRIME Iggy for 3 more years.

If you did manage to land him for Tmac alone, you could throw any combination of: Ariza, Battier, Scola, Hayes, Budinger and Lowry at Toronto for Bosh and you would have a disgusting core going forward....Brooks, Iggy, Landry and Bosh....all under 26 years old! Are you kidding me?!?

16. YaoMac09

YaoMac09 Member

Because this is CLutchfans.

17. SpaceCityKid

SpaceCityKid Rookie

Caron is solid but I don't understand why go after him.
    Iggy would be the most suitable out of all the rumors we have heard I think he's underrated because of the team he plays on, he's really the only scorer they have on the team, I could see him running up and down with the rockets the remainder ofnthe season. He would be a better player in Houston and deffinately be worth the pay. No matter what the 76ers are going to want to include dalembert in the trade, I would try to get maybe a 2nd round pick or thaddeus young and give up another player for him he's going to be a solid player also, he's a Lil under the radar.

If they don't get rid of mac before the deadline, the rockets will just sit on his pay. And wait for the freeagency where they can pick up bosh,Wade,lbj.
    But you never know.

Morey always tends to surprise us, hopefully this one is the greatest one.

18. Asian Sensation

My pecking order of the supposed big name trade rumors.

Grange (youngest and most talented player of group) > Iguodala (makes Ariza that much more expendable) > Kevin Martin > Caron Butler

I'd be stoked if we got any one of those guys.

19. Asian Sensation

Edit:: Grange(r)

20. YaoMac09

YaoMac09 Member

Don't think Granger will be available even if they are losing money, winning games brings you money and they won't win many without Granger, but Murphy and fillers may be obtained (Not that it will do a lot of good)