1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ESPN broadcasters are made believers and eat their own words all in one game

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by wreck, Nov 12, 2006.

1. airmanz

airmanz Member

They are damn stupid!

2. MystikArkitect

Yao and Lebron are on the level. There I said it. And it was one shot that convinced me of it. Luther wasn't aware of the shot clock. It was ticking down. I'm screaming "Shoot the freaking ball!!". He hands it to Yao with 3 ticks left. He turns around and shoots an 18 foot fadeaway with people in his face and swishes it. I didn't know how to react to that shot, it was amazing. Yao is proving not only that he is the best center in the league, but also one of the most clutch players in the league. He is amazing.

3. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

Like the rest of you, I was overwhelmed at how negative the announcing crew was with the Rockets all game long. I'm not the type to generally be bothered by this sort of thing, but when it is so bad that it hinders my enjoyment of the telecast, there is obviously something very wrong. I watched the national feed instead of the local feed hoping to get something like TNT's coverage, but it was so amazingly biased that at times it was tough to watch.

My favorite moment?

When they said something about Chuck Hayes being our most athletic player. It wasn't meant as a compliment to Chuck Hayes either.

Horrible.

4. twhy77

twhy77 Contributing Member

They said Chuck Hayes was our only athletic player...my buddy and I were like ???? :confused: ???

5. teetime

teetime Member

Sure Lebron and the wade of this world will sell tons more shoes because they attract only a certain demographic audience ( young kids) who are crazy enough to pay for $150 shoes.

On the other hand, Yao's appeal attracts a wider range of audience ,consisting of all ages and different income level. With his star power, integrity, humble character and a squeaky clean image, the sky is the limit for him when it comes to marketing. Yao 's star power is on an international level, don't forget that ;)

6. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

And some people thought Isiah was crazy when he started bashing Greg Anthony this pre-season.

Well, Isiah is crazy, but Gregy Anthony knows about as much about basketball as I do. Yes, Greg Anthony was an NBA player....and I played in high-school and on the weekends. Just because you played in the NBA doesn't mean you are a basketball genius.

Add on top of that some of the worst commentary in the history of mankind...and you have Greg Anthony.

I always thoughts some of the Bill Walton anger was funny, too. Yes Bill says stupid things, but he does it on purpose, and it is so outrageous it is usually funny. Not great commentating by any means, but not bad.

There are so many worse commentators out there, and Anthony is at the top of the list. I think if you put him and Stephen A. Smith together on a show for 30 minutes and showed it to terrorist suspects, you'd have all the confidential information out of them before the second commercial break.

7. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

This may have been said already, but I can't WAIT to hear Walton broadcast a Rox game. Love him or hate him (he certainly gives people reasons to do both), he absolutely strokes good big men.

The only reason I love him is b/c of his commentary when Hak was dominating.

8. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

while I agree that the commentating was negative towards the rockets. they were making one good point. the rockets don't get easy points. also you have to remember, the rockets weren't in the playoffs and the Heat are the champs. the rockets have to earn back a lot of respect this season. give it some time, they keep playing like this, even with mcgrady's shooting woes they will earn it back.

9. Cohen

Cohen Contributing Member

Wasn't it Anthony who said that Miami needed to be concerned if TMac got hot because he could carry a team 'for 10 or 12 mintues'.

...10 or 12 minutes whole minutes? :D

10. Cohen

There is a law against that... must be.

11. Cohen

Heh... c'mon pgabriel. So our baskets looked hard... we were still nip-and-tuck. Then, did they look easier in the 4th when we pulled-away? They acted like we were condemned because our baskets weren't coming easy. They were wrong.

We win and I don't care how difficult our baskets look. And I'm sure TMac's performance helped create that impression, and that certainly won't be the case every game.

(Miami shot 39%... how easy could their baskets have looked??? )

#91 Cohen, Nov 13, 2006
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2006
  12. SuperS32

SuperS32 Member

I can tell you this much - Yao will get all the compliments and all the believers in the World the second he proves he can carry a team through the playoffs. Until then, he's left being in the same company as Gasol/T-Mac/Marbury/etc. in many people's eyes.

13. shawn786

shawn786 Member

I agree If the ROX can do some damage in the playoffs people will give Yao the respect he soo dearly earned

14. tsunami

tsunami Member

Last night ESPN guys were just not very happy that we did not trail 20 points at half time, which they would like to see.

15. T-2

T-2 Contributing Member

Agreed - and while it is was true the offense was sputtering, the spin was that Miami was getting almost whatever it wanted on offense, as if it was a big contrast between the champs in white versus the chumps in red.

A fair announcer would have simply said both teams were playing hard, intelligent defense, making it hard for the offenses to get what they want.

16. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

It took him 4 quarters to shut the hell up about how the Rockets were a team that couldn't do this, couldn't do that, inferior in some way, etc. What was hysterical is that as sorry as they were playing and getting beaten down by Anthony, they still were in the game and then put it into overdrive later in the game. It's like Anthony finally just had to shut up because it made no sense to continue downplaying their effort.

And for pete's sake, Yao Ming is an 87.9% FT shooter and was 87% when he started the game - not 78% as Anthony kept saying during the broadcast. ESPN needs to either quit hiring dyslexic stats guys or Anthony needs to research harder.

17. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Yeah, that annoyed the hell out of me too.

Was I the only one yelling at the television, "He's 87% [insert expletive]!" ?

18. Cohen

The irony is that traditionally the announcers are the ones usually building the game up so the network makes some money... you know 'well they're down by 36, but they have an explosive offense and can come back quickly....

Instead, we actually had a close game and the announcers are telling us 'why the f*** are you watching our game? The pretenders suck and will be beaten badly by the contenders...soon or later...'

Their ignorance about the Rockets ... the changes and opportunities ... was staggering.

19. Mordo

Mordo Contributing Member

It's true the Rockets didn't get easy points in the beginning, but Miami's easy points don't matter if it comes only in the first half. They were struggling to get points in the 2 half. There was a stretch for several minutes, where I was wondering "When is Miami going to score?". As Riley said, They got their heads handed to them in the 2nd half. You have to get easy buckets in the 2nd half too.

20. TheTruth

TheTruth Contributing Member

Did anyone just hear Jim Rome's take on Shaq v Yao? It'd be great if we could get it uploaded somehow. Basically Rome was imitating Shaq on his quote about "He's pretty much the same, 7-6, doing what hes supposed to do." and saying you got your head handed to you, man up and give props to Yao. He stated that instead of his kid on Halloween bit, Yao shouldve said something along the likes of "Yea Shaq was pretty much the same, doing what hes supposed to do, which is get rolled by me."

Great stuff.