1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ESPN broadcasters are made believers and eat their own words all in one game

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by wreck, Nov 12, 2006.

1. wreck

wreck Contributing Member

Maybe Yao is just now beginning to open eyes on the national scale. Perhaps its the rockets fault for not living up to their expectations last season with no fault of their own, as injuries quickly ended their playoff hopes.

5 years of learning, five years of being doubted, even when he went on a tear at the end of last season. Still tonight we saw just how little the national audiance knew about Yao and how much they still doubt him.

As I was watching the game, much like many of you, I realized that the broadcasters begin every comment about Yao pointing out a deficiency. He's too slow, he can't guard Shaq, he needs a breather because he's out of breath, were some of the 1st quarter comments, yet they never criticized the fatigue of shaq in that quarter. They called his 1st quarter, an ok quarter as he sat down with 5 points and 3 rebs, against shaqs 8 and 1.

Still the critizism kept coming. However, when yao took over the game in the second quarter and left shaq in the dust in number comparison, some credit was given. It was so bad that the 4th quarter they didn't do their yao vs shaq comparison. With yao's late dominance the criticisms turned into compliments , even though i still think that not enough credit was given to yao. Yao opened some eyes tonight. He didn't win the game on his own, but he carried the team on his back when they needed him the most. And for once the broadcasters ran out of criticisms. They ran out of complaints about yao. They didnt say much, they were simply left eating their own words.

Yao has arrived as the most dominant big man here in houston since late last year. But has today arrived at the most dominant big man in the eyes of the national media, yet I fear every single night he goes out there he will still have them doubt him and he will have to prove them wrong every single game.

Yao-34-14-2 Shaq 15-10 Wade 24-7-4
    Rockets 94 Heat 72 at Miami

2. yipengzhao

yipengzhao Contributing Member

"Yao Ming is just OWNING the Miami Heat right now." -- Greg Anthony

3. rockets-#1

rockets-#1 Contributing Member

Man, I can't stand watching national games. The announcers were annoying the hell out of me. All game long they were just discrediting the Rockets, forget the fact they had the lead while much of their dumb comments were being said. Big Win, woooooooooooooo!

4. macfan

macfan Contributing Member

They'll go from being haters to kissing Yao's feet and his big chinese behind :D

I am glad Yao is finally getting the recognition that he deserves. You could not be more right about how little people know about Yao.

American culture is such that we want our athletes to show thier personality. And Yao is improving his English and people will get to know him and realize that he's a wonderful person and has a good sense of humor.

YAO is the next Tiger Woods in terms of marketing. I think when it's all said and done, Yao will sell more than Lebron.

Keep it up big guy

5. London'sBurning

London'sBurning Contributing Member

I think off the record they know that Yao is the best center in the NBA but they don't want to discredit Shaq because he is one of the best interviewers in the NBA.

6. wreck

I know they probably said this in the end of the game when he was destroying them, but what im trying to say is that he has been doing this all season, but they've ignored it and began the game talking about all the negative aspects of the game. he had to prove them wrong. and im just kind of tired of the national media doing this. it makes it really frustrating to watch the game. but i must admit very satisfying at the end.

7. Sextuple Double

To be honest, to hell with the comparison and acknowledgement. We don't want nobody to respect Yao, so when he drops that 30 and 10, we look at them after the game with their heads down in disbelief and say "You just got your ass worked!!!"

8. Tango

Tango Contributing Member

Word my brotha! :D

9. rimbaud

rimbaud Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Was it just me or did I hear them repeatedly say that Yao Ming was a 78% FT shooter at the beginning of the game? He is 87 this season (higher now) and 81 for his career so I was confused and don't think I misheard...but not sure...

10. Storm Surge

Storm Surge Rookie

Greg Anthony has some vendetta against the Rockets. All he does his hate them. I watched the ESPN telecast instead of the FSN one only because the picture clarity on ESPN was miles ahead of the FSN one, but I noticed, Matt Bullard and Drexler were both calling the Rockets game, anyone know why?

11. KALIKULI

KALIKULI Contributing Member

Yao pretty much destroyed Shaq on all categories after the first quarter, but Shaq shoot a couple of uncontested shots. Yao was simply on a roll of shots after shots and even Pat Riley could'nt believe that Yao was to much of a presence inside and out.

GO ROCKETS!

12. Bobby60

Bobby60 Member

I'd flip back and forth between FSN and ESPN, just to get an unbiased perspective. What a bunch of clowns on ESPN.

First period it was all about Shaq and how Houston isn't a contender yet. Rarely a positive comment about the Rockets. They were amazed (and disappointed, it seemed) that Miami didn't have us down by 20 at half time.

Third period was all about Wade and his athletic skills compared to the Rockets. By the fourth period, the announcers reluctantly starting giving the Rockets credit (when the weren't promoting the OSU - Michigan game this coming weekend). By the end of the game they just seemed incredulous that the World Champs had had their heads handed to them. LOL!

What's it going to take to get a little respect?

13. compucomp

compucomp Member

Honestly, today I think ESPN was a lot nicer than before. I agree with them on the first quarter substitution; I think Yao was taken out at 4:45 left in the first quarter b/c he was winded. I also agree that Shaq was dominating Yao in the first quarter. Shaq took it at him 4 times and scored each time, Yao shot like 1/5, and had his shot blocked embarrassingly. I think that he had a "decent quarter" was a fair assessment.

But after Shaq faded and Yao started playing well, he got his just praise. They didn't heap inordinate amounts of praise on him like they do sometimes for D-Wade and Lebron, but then again, don't we complain about ESPN when they do that? Isn't it a bit hypocritical to ask for that kind of stuff for Yao too? I mean, if you're going to denounce the inordinate hype, you shouldn't ask for inordinate hype about your guy.

14. yipengzhao

yipengzhao Contributing Member

Whoa take it easy. Yao is good. But LeBron is really good.

15. wreck

no you're right. this goes to show how theyre not all that prepared. they were last years average. 12-13 tonight so im sure his average might have hit close to 90.

16. Astockmarketgod

we want the REF'S to start respecting Yao... then maybe he will get some calls before someone scratches his eyes out or tears his arms off...

17. rimbaud

rimbaud Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

He shot 85% last year so that is not right, either. 04-05 he shot 78%.

18. YallMean

YallMean Member

These guys obviously havent watched the Rockets much lately. They are pulling stuff out of last year's rockets. It's ok. I love it. Like Tmac's line " You are fooled, but you are not a fool, arnt you."

On the side note though, out preimeter shooting needs to be consistent, the strech we played poorly were all due to bad premiter shooting with wide open looks. If we knock down those shots, we are one hell of a team that is hard to beat. I see the old Rocket two year ago, only that Yao is better and Tmac is wiser.

19. wreck

By the way great quote, fits in perfectly with this team. they kind of did fool everyone into thinking they were a bad team and then before you know it they win by 22.

it was an ugly game the first 2 and a half quarters, but give our team credit as bas as we were playing we stayed very much in it.

20. username1

username1 Member

I agree they don't respect Yao or the Rockets... Let those idiot haters think what they want. Numbers don't lie, Rockets 94, Heat 72.

Greg "the hater" Anthony can continue to eat his words as the Rockets go to the NBA finals. :D