1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ESPN Brian James: "Defense, explosive shooting fuel Rockets"

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RocketsFAN3035, Mar 3, 2005.

1. RocketsFAN3035

ESPN Insider: Brian James: "Defense, explosive shooting fuel Rockets "

did not see this anywhere, so I figured I'd share. I agree with what this guy has to say. I'm guessing he is pretty new to ESPN because this is only like the 3rd article of his I've read. But I do like what I've been reading from him.

Updated: Mar. 3, 2005
    Defense, explosive shooting fuel Rockets
    By Brian James, ESPN Insider
    Brian James Archive

After struggling out of the gate, the Houston Rockets are headed in the right direction.

Twenty-two different players have played for the Rockets this season — the most roster changes for this franchise in almost 20 years. There was the major summer blockbuster involving perennial All-Stars Tracy McGrady and Steve Francis, and there has been an endless effort to upgrade the backcourt to get the right mix coach Jeff Van Gundy needs to succeed in his defense-oriented system. In fact, no less than six point guards have been given a chance to run the team.

Fans were thinking Orlando got the better end of the deal with Houston, but now that the dust has settled, the Rockets keep getting better and better. Van Gundy makes quick decisions on what this team needs to improve, and GM Carroll Dawson has not hesitated to keep the revolving door in motion. Houston has veteran players who have been on winning playoff teams and who bring toughness to the squad. They are playing to win now — which I like, especially since the Rockets are the oldest collective group in the league.

Yao and T-Mac shoulder the load in Clutch City.It took about 15 games — there were some early-season losses to sub-.500 teams — for T-Mac and Yao Ming to start meshing. When two All-Stars are brought together, it takes time to develop chemistry on and off the court. This synergy matures only over time.
    Remember, since one member of this tandem is an inside post presence, he doesn't get his hands on the ball unless it is thrown to him. By contrast, when the two major players are both perimeter-oriented, the ball is in their hands in open-court situations.

Yao has shot 64 percent from the field since Dec. 1, and after a dreadful start, the new catch-and-fire Rockets have opened up the floor by hitting at a 40 percent clip from behind the arc.

Yao has more room to work, and the double teams have been less frequent. Early foul trouble has contributed to Yao's averaging only 31 minutes per game, and his lack of conditioning is evident. The coaching staff would like his minutes to be in the 37-38 range. But Yao understands how to play, and his accurate passing encourages teammates to find the seams and openings.

McGrady is one of the most exciting and purely enjoyable players to watch. When T-Mac is on his game, no one defender can stop him. I coached him in his final two seasons in Toronto, and I have never seen anyone take such a monumental leap in improvement: T-Mac said enough is enough and got to work, and his stature from his second year to his third year in the league soared.

His shooting range and percentage have increased, and now he has the ability to stop and pop going right or left — which wasn't always the case. He can pull up or penetrate and finish at the rim with either hand. The extension and explosion on his lift make it almost impossible to get a hand up high enough to bother Tracy's release or trajectory.

Charlie Ward,Tyronn Lue, Andre Barrett, Rod Strickland, Bob Sura and now recent acquisition Mike James have all been at the point for Houston.

Sura has played great, and he's about one week away from returning from recurring back problems. Players and coaches alike love his leadership and toughness, and he makes everyone around him play the same way. Bob is neither a point nor a two-guard — he is just an old-fashioned guard. When he's healthy, triple-doubles can occur at any time. His rebounding ability (on a team that struggles in this department) might be his biggest asset. Many wonder how good he would have been if he hadn't suffered assorted injuries and if he had played on better teams.

James
    James, as I stated earlier this week, might be the best trade-deadline pickup in the NBA this season. He has shot better than 50 percent from inside and outside the 3-point line, and his quickness and work ethic are special. Van Gundy wanted more defensive pressure on the ball from end line to end line, and James provides this relentlessly. His 23.0-point average in three games also has been a huge lift for a team that has struggled with scoring. He will have to learn the inside-outside style of play since Rasheed Wallace is the only scoring big man James has ever played with.

Van Gundy repeatedly encourages his team to push the ball up and look for quicker shots if available. He now has tremendous long-distance, catch-and-shoot players to stretch the defense: David Wesley, Jon Barry, James, McGrady and even Scott Padgett. The Rockets put Chicago into shock with their shooting display on Monday night, hitting 55.6 percent from the field.

Wesley's pivot and release coming off pin-downs on the left side of the floor is one of the quickest in the NBA. Barry is a great addition — his antics and style are pure Barry-like. He knows how to play, and it's fun watching him from a distance.

When can the Rockets compete for a title? Despite losing four of their past five games, Houston is headed straight up. There are concerns, however. Their schedule in the next 10 days is brutal, with four really tough games.

Even though Van Gundy has always taken pride in his team's defense, this year's Rockets are more conventional, with less ball pressure in the open court: They retreat back into the lane to stop transition scores, then build the defense back out to force open-court steals and turnovers. But the success of this defense is built with strength from just beyond the 3-point line, not full-court pressure, which is fundamental basketball. The points allowed, field-goal percentage defense and 3-point percentage defense are all in the NBA's top five. The lack of rebounding as a team — especially getting to long rebounds and loose balls — must be corrected and corralled. Getting Sura back will help in this area.

Meanwhile, the Rockets have attempted 149 more 3s than their opponents this season. This tendency might lead to players' not staying aggressive, as the Rockets have 179 fewer free throws than opponents.

But with the emphasis on defense, new explosive shooting and Yao and T-Mac — two of the top players in the NBA — the Rockets can be very good. Their coaching staff is always prepared, and I would be scared to death to play them in the first round of the playoffs. They are currently in the sixth spot, but the fifth position is clearly on their minds.

Brian James, a former assistant coach with the Pistons, Raptors and Wizards, is a regular contributor to Insider.

2. linker88

linker88 Contributing Member

Nice analysis.

I am not worried about last night loss. With the addition of Mike James and when Sura comes back, this team is on the way up. No team would like to match Rockets in first round because they have legiit inside-out game and hard to defense.

Linker

3. pcheung

pcheung Member

The best ESPN Insider article I've ever read, although that's really not saying much. ;)

4. tigermission1

tigermission1 Contributing Member

Everyone will see how good we will become once again when Sura is back.

Let me borrow this quote from Phil Jackson, and substitute Sura for Pippen;) : "I told other teams to enjoy it now, because when Sura is back, we will run the table on them".;)

Note: That is not the exact quote, but it sounded something like that

5. Ghettostar85

Ghettostar85 Member

seems like he has watched some of our games,nice!

6. RocketsFAN3035

yeah, aint that the truth. I was actually really surprised when I stumbled across it. The guy seems to not have his head shoved up his rear. It was a good article

7. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

agreed..... a very accurate analysis, almost as if this guy has actually watched several of our games. he's the only outsider journalist that has actually pinned what we've missed most about Sura - his rebounding. i cant recall any other writer not based in houston who has done that; quite refreshing.

bravo Brian James.

8. jscmedia

jscmedia Contributing Member

Brian hit the nail on the head. NOBODY willl want to play us in the first round.

Can you believe we can do that kind of boasting so soon since the first of the year ?

Yeah...GO ROCKETS !!!!!

9. Win

Win Contributing Member

I'm stunned... This guy has really been paying attention.

10. Cohen

Cohen Contributing Member

:D I agree, that seems to be uncommon. Many of the 'analyses' that are out there sound like a summary of some of the other analyses.

11. Fegwu

Fegwu Contributing Member

Wow.....this is the best piece I have read from a non-Rockets beat writer. Brian James gets it. It seem like he actually watches the games unlike SAS, Charles, Kenny, Rosen, McCaullum, et al.

12. mirror_image

mirror_image Contributing Member

Brian James >>>> Chad Ford!:cool:

I have to give this thread 5 stars, I can't believe there is somebody who gives so much credits to Rockets when we lost 4 out of 5 games recently!

Good article, wise analysis!:)

#12 mirror_image, Mar 4, 2005
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2005
  13. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

Wow, an unbiased writer can write an article without bashing Yao at any point?

Brian James, YOU DA MAN!!!:cool:

14. pcheung

pcheung Member

A true insider who knows the league, how to scout and analyze a team. What a concept!!! :eek: