1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ESPN: Bonds to no longer appear on trading cards, fantasy games !!!

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by countingcrow, Nov 15, 2003.

1. countingcrow

countingcrow Contributing Member

ESPN Link

Bonds will be individually licensed

By Darren Rovell
    ESPN.com

[size=1.5]NEW YORK -- Going, going, gone.

That's what San Francisco Giants slugger Barry Bonds has told the Major League Baseball Players Association's licensing arm.

Bonds informed the union that he would not be signing the organization's group licensing agreement, sources told ESPN Radio in New York on Friday. Baseball's home run record holder plans to pursue his own licensing opportunities.

Players usually sign the group licensing agreement, which allows companies that obtain MLBPA licenses the right to use players' names and likenesses on their products. In exchange for their rights, the players in the four major sports get a percentage of the sale of the products such as trading cards and video games.

MLBPA spokesman Greg Bouris confirmed to ESPN.com that Bonds has indeed opted out of the agreement for the immediate future, but will remain a member of the union. Eric Levin, president of Pro Access Inc., which does the marketing for Bonds, declined comment.

Licensees must reach individual deals to use the name and images of players who are not part of the agreement.

Bonds' decision will have immediate repercussions for baseball fans, who will no longer be able to purchase the Giants' slugger's jersey. Also, Bonds will no longer be able to appear in advertisements or on trading cards in his San Francisco uniform.

"Barry, don't do this! Please, come back!" said Bill Dully, president of Donruss trading cards. He was not joking.

Dully points out that Bonds is on the cusp of being the greatest player in baseball history, and the home run king's decision opt out of the league's licensing agreement makes it impossible to put him on the company's cards because players must be depicted in their team uniform.

Bonds' move is not unprecedented. For some time, Michael Jordan was not part of the NBA Players Association's group licensing agreement, and Washington Redskins linebacker Lavar Arrington has not signed the NFL Players Association's group licensing agreement.
    [/size]

2. Mr. Mooch

Mr. Mooch Contributing Member

See, if his steroids issue wasn't enough, Bonds just went back to inflating his arrogance.

He's just won the NOASS award. (Number One A$$hole in Stupidity and Sports)

3. rocketfan83

rocketfan83 Member

Oh so thats why Lavar Arrington is always #57 on madden. I guess Bonds will be #25 on all video games next year

4. nyquil82

nyquil82 Contributing Member

so does my rookie card price rise or fall?

5. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'd just like to point out that anyone who likes Michael Jordan or doesn't think he was an ass has no right ragging on Bonds for doing this. As mentioned in that article, Air Jordan did the exact same thing.

6. mateo

mateo Contributing Member

They are both asses.

7. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

That is an acceptable response. :D

8. wizkid83

wizkid83 Contributing Member

What's the big deal, Jordan, Lavar Arrington, and I think even David Robinson did it before.

9. PhiSlammaJamma

Earl Campbell did the same thing, correct? Are you about to goat a Texas hero too.

10. AntiSonic

AntiSonic Member

Barkley and Shaq also did something similar, IIRC with their video game deals. Not that big a deal today as create-a-player modes are deeper, but still...

(allright, anyone else going to admit to actually liking "Shaq-Fu" or "Shut Up And Jam?" :eek: )

11. ZRB

ZRB Contributing Member

I loved "Shut Up and Jam".

12. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

I remember playing NBA Live 94 on the Super Nintendo and the Suns didn't have Barkley, but they were still awesome. It was ridiculous.

13. Nashvegas

Nashvegas Contributing Member

crap....there goes my fantasy team...bonds is one of my keepers

14. Kilgore Trout

Kilgore Trout Contributing Member

Maby they will just change his name to Ass #25

15. North Star

North Star Contributing Member

I was planning to buy a Barry Bonds jersey.