1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ESPN Blog] NBA's top trios

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Fullcourt, Jul 31, 2008.

1. Fullcourt

Fullcourt Contributing Member

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/blog/index?entryID=3512435&name=broussard_chris

NBA's top trios

Thursday, July 31, 2008 | Feedback | Print Entry

Posted by Chris Broussard

First, it was about great teams -- the '60s Celtics, the '80s Lakers, Celtics, Sixers and Pistons.

Then, it was about great duos -- Jordan and Pippen, Olajuwon and Drexler, Kemp and Payton, Stockton and Malone, Duncan and Robinson, Shaq and Kobe.

Now, it's about trios, and Houston just created one. That's why the Rockets, assuming they're healthy and distraction free, suddenly are legitimate title contenders.

That being the case, here's my list of the league's top 10 threesomes. Remember, this is not a ranking of teams but of Big Threes:

1. Boston: Kevin Garnett, Paul Pierce, Ray Allen
    Three Hall of Famers. Two great closers (Pierce and Ray), one terrific defender and rebounder (KG). A 7-footer (KG), a slasher (Pierce) and a textbook jump shooter (Ray). A ring.

By the way, Pierce is nuts if he thinks he's the league's best player. I love his game and he was definitely the finals MVP. But Paul, don't get it twisted: You're probably not even in the top 10 (I feel like Roger Federer talking to Neil Everett): (In no particular order) LeBron, Kobe, Chris Paul, Kevin Garnett, Tim Duncan, Dwight Howard, Deron Williams, Dwyane Wade, Carmelo Anthony, Amare Stoudemire.

I like Paul's confidence, though.

2. San Antonio: Tim Duncan, Tony Parker, Manu Ginobili
    Duncan's aging, but I'm not ready to count these three out just yet. All three could end up in the Hall of Fame: Parker for being a key star on at least three title teams, and Ginobili for his success on the world stage.

3. Los Angeles Lakers: Kobe Bryant, Andrew Bynum, Pau Gasol

If Bynum returns quickly to the form he displayed (17.6 ppg, 10.6 rpg, 2.1 bpg) in the three weeks preceding his injury, this will be the league's second-best trio, at least. And a fourth option like Lamar Odom only strengthens the Lakers' version of the Big Three.

4. Houston: Tracy McGrady, Yao Ming, Ron Artest
    The main obstacles for the new-look Rockets are health and keeping Ron-Ron under control. If those two factors don't become issues, they will be sweet. We don't even have to talk about their defense. The league's second-best defensive team just added the best, most feared perimeter defender on earth, for goodness sakes.

And offensively, the Rockets now have three legitimate 20-point scorers. T-Mac's an old and weary 29 (entering his 12th season), so the addition of Artest will take some of the heavy offensive burden off his shoulders.

Plus, Artest gives them something some Big Threes lack -- an edge.

5. New Orleans: Chris Paul, David West, Tyson Chandler
    These three have tremendous chemistry. There's no doubt that Paul lifts West and Chandler to another level, and the whole here is probably better than the sum of the individual parts.

Paul is the best point guard on the planet (though D-Will is right on his heels). West is one of the most versatile power forwards in the game who can punish the defense inside, outside and on the break, and Chandler is a great rebounder, a forceful presence defensively and a nice offensive complement to Paul. And as with the Lakers, a fourth-best player like Peja Stojakovic only makes the Bayou's Big Three that much stronger.

6. Phoenix: Steve Nash, Amare Stoudemire, Shaquille O'Neal

This may be a stretch, but I'm betting that Nash has one more splendid year in him and that Shaq has one more decent run in him. Amare was a monster next to Shaq, and I'm going to give Shaq the benefit of the doubt and say that pride will motivate him to play well next season.

The Suns' days as a title contender are over, but this threesome must still be respected.

7. Detroit: Chauncey Billups, Rip Hamilton, Rasheed Wallace

Could be another stretch because in my opinion the Pistons, as currently constructed, are no longer contenders. But they'll probably finish with a fairly strong regular-season record. If new coach Michael Curry can get Billups and Wallace to turn back the clock two years, they'll be in business. But that's a big "if." Also, like the Lakers and Hornets, the Pistons have something of a Big Four with Tayshaun Prince.

8. Dallas: Dirk Nowitzki, Jason Kidd, Josh Howard
    Man, I'm giving the old trios lots of credit. I'm going to go out on a limb and say that Rick Carlisle and an offseason of meditation will help these three mesh better. Like Phoenix and Detroit ahead of them, they're done contending for rings, but they can certainly play better than they did last season. Almost went with Washington and Philly over them, but I had to admit that in the East, Dallas would be a force.

9. Washington: Gilbert Arenas, Antawn Jamison, Caron Butler

The last time these three were healthy for a significant stretch of time, they sent Eddie Jordan to the All-Star Game as coach of the Eastern Conference. The main downfall of this triumvirate is that there's no dominant big man. Yeah, Jamison was one of only four players to average at least 20 points and 10 rebounds last season, but as good as he is, Jamison's not an overpowering force on the frontline, and that's what you need to be elite. He's barely a power forward.

10. Philadelphia: Elton Brand, Andre Iguodala, Andre Miller

They've got a low-post scorer in Brand, a versatile slasher in Iguodala, and a prototypical point guard in Miller. I'd have them ahead of Washington's three if they'd played together before. And with Iguodala improving, they could climb the charts in the upcoming months.

Others
    Utah: Deron Williams and Carlos Boozer are absolutely one of the league's best tandems (assuming Boozer's late-season tumble wasn't a sign of things to come). But there's no third star. If either Mehmet Okur or Andrei Kirilenko can return to their All-Star form, the Jazz will have a threesome worthy of the list.

Denver: Again, A.I. and Melo make a fearsome Big Two, but it's a reach to make Kenyon Martin the third piece of a Big Three.

Portland: Prediction: Brandon Roy, LaMarcus Aldridge and Greg Oden are going to lead the Blazers to the playoffs this year, which is saying a ton considering they're in the West. Hopefully, Oden gets his game back quickly.

Orlando: Offensively, Dwight Howard, Hedo Turkoglu and Rashard Lewis are arguably the best frontcourt in the league. Gotta get better on the other end, though.

Toronto: A lot of questions here. Can Jermaine O'Neal still play at an elite level? Can Jose Calderon play like the All-Star caliber point guard he's shown signs of becoming?

Miami: I think Michael Beasley's going to be all that. Dwyane Wade already is. But Beasley and Shawn Marion pretty much play the same position. It's hard to put much faith in the Heat considering Wade's penchant for getting hurt, Beasley's youth and Marion's inability to create his own shot, but this crew's got potential.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I think this is fair. We haven't hit the floor yet, so we shouldn't get put ahead of the spurs or western conference champs until we prove ourselves

2. Tornadoofsoul6

Pretty fair, our 3 on paper is terrific, but they need to play together first before people can say that they are the top 2-3.

3. mogrod

mogrod Contributing Member

I'd put the Rocket's trio ahead of the Lakers.

TMac < Kobe
    Yao > Gasol
    Artest > Bynum

Just my opinion. Outside of that, I don't have a problem with the Spurs and Celtics on top.

4. Fullcourt

Fullcourt Contributing Member

I'd put it more like

T-Mac < Kobe
    Yao > Bynum
    Artest ? Gasol

And we haven't proven anything yet.

5. agentkirb87

agentkirb87 Member

San Antonio shouldn't be rated that high. He says its not a ranking of teams and then proceeds to rank them exactly in terms of how good the actual team is. I think the Spurs trio goes below us. Tim Duncan and Tmac are pretty close in talent at this point in Duncans career. And Yao and Artest are EASILY better than Parker and Ginobli.

The rest of the list is legit tho.

6. stonecold999

stonecold999 Member

agree

7. dntrwl

dntrwl Member

pierce and allen are < tmac and yao, only Garnett puts them at our level
    Bynum shouldn't even be DISCUSSED. that is ridiculous to even put them in the top 10 of anything, I still think S.A.

8. dntrwl

dntrwl Member

edit: I still think S.A.'s 3 is better than people think, they just have a pretty bad supporting cast

9. LabMouse

LabMouse Member

"The main obstacles for the new-look Rockets are health and keeping Ron-Ron under control. If those two factors don't become issues, they will be sweet. We don't even have to talk about their defense. The league's second-best defensive team just added the best, most feared perimeter defender on earth, for goodness sakes."

Yes, the analysis is quite right, if we are health, I do not see any reason that this team can not beat any other teams. Just hope that everyone is health, a bit of luck, a good thing is going to happen this year.

10. Scientific1

Scientific1 Member

The way Gasol got pummeled in the Finals I dont think he's better than Artest.

11. okierock

okierock Contributing Member

Their three has a LOT more rings than ours.

12. playlife

playlife Member

No one mentioned Dwight Howard is in the top 10 players and Yao is not? ;)

13. drich

drich Member

Bynum has to be the most overated player I have ever seen. He averaged 11 points a game last year, he does not compare to Yao. It really is disrespectful to Yao to even compare them. Artest is better than Yao, and Kobe turned into a jump shooter in the playoffs also.

14. jedicro

jedicro Member

I've never really understood that argument. THEIR three has been together for a long time. It should have more rings. Their three is also getting old.

All's I know is that I like our chances against any of these teams next year.

15. sook

sook Rookie

Exactly dude its so stupid how the lakers and the rest of the world over rate their players, from what he played last season he wasn't a top 30 player, in terms of contribution and taking the team to a new level. I can't wait for this guy to break his other foot ( sorry for harsh comments)

16. moonnumack

moonnumack Contributing Member

I think the Top 5 looks about right. The Big 3 in Boston are clearly on top right now after their recent championship. I think LA's trio is still ahead of us right now (I'd probably put them #2), considering Kobe's the MVP, Gasol's an All-Star, and a healthy Bynum is a Top 3 center in the league. San Antonio's Big 3 is also more proven than us, and until Duncan declines, they're still great, particularly in the clutch. I obviously love our new trio, but they haven't been as clutch as any of the trios above us and need time together and health to move up this list.
    Where I like our team is the other 2 players rounding out the starting 5 after the Big 3. I like Rafer/Scola over Rondo/Perkins and Bowen/Oberto, although Fisher/Odom is a pretty solid pair.
    The games against the top teams in the league are gonna be a lot of fun now, just in respect to some of these star matchups.

17. sook

sook Rookie

NO a healthy bynum is not a top 3 center in the league....Andrew Bogut and Chris Kaman have yielded better results brah...

18. Jeff Who

Jeff Who Member

Andrew Bynum is a very good player, but top 3 center in the leauge...i think it is too much

19. Trini Rocket

Trini Rocket Member

True, but couldn't the same thing be said about the Lakers? Bynum and Gasol have yet to play together. And on top of that Bynum still has alot to prove, imo. The dude hasn't done much.

On a side note though, does anyone else see it as ridiculous the top ten players he gave in the Boston analysis. Dude put D. Howard, Amare, Melo, and freakin Deron Williams ahead of T-mac and Yao.

20. sook

sook Rookie

GOOD centers are near impossible to come by, he will be good but does that justify arguments of

Dwight Howard vs Andrew Bynum on lakersground.net?

Are these fans delusional? :confused: