1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ESPN]Blazers make 3-year offer to Miller

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by the_hustler, Jul 24, 2009.

1. rocketfan21

rocketfan21 Member

Making a 7 million dollar bid when no one else is bidding? Not smart.

2. Fyreball

Fyreball Member

I agree completely with you. I just don't see how adding Andre Miller makes the Blazers better at all. Is he really THAT much of an upgrade over Rodriguez and Blake? He doesn't add shooting, and his passing isn't on the level of a Kidd or Nash to where you overlook that. Plus, he doesn't create any mismatches to the point where they can turn to him if Roy is being held at bay. I was really expecting them to make a strong play for Rubio, but when that didn't happen, I figured they would stand pat at PG for this season.

3. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Just confirms that Pritchard is overrated.

4. nachbarFTW

nachbarFTW Member

5. ArtisGilmore

ArtisGilmore Member

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/sixerville/Miller_signs_with_Portland.html

Deal is done.

6. m_cable

m_cable Member

Definitely not a perfect fit for the Blazers (Miller's ability to run the break is wasted on a team with the slowest pace in the league) but after they whiffed on Hedo, Ariza(?), Millsap and every other free agent they needed to make a play for somebody before they run out of salary cap room next year with Roy and Aldridge's extensions.

That being said, they might have been better off waiting and making a trade down the line with their cap space.

7. Egghead

Egghead Member

his might indicate that Jared Bayless maybe on the move...

Battier and Cook

for

Bayless and Outlaw

:)

8. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Solid player. Horrible transaction! Portland's 7 Mil in cap flexibility is so much more valuable than Andre Miller over 3 years! This is a buyers market, just wait until the deadline. Hell I am not convinced they couldn't have traded Oden for Paul, Webster for Terry, or Bayless for Nash at some point.

I am not sure why Portland felt so compelled to spend their money in the FA market. Congrats Portland you wound up with your 5th target :rolleyes:

First genuinely bad move I have seen Portland make in awhile. Guess Pritchard really was crapping his pants all offseason.

9. sbyang

sbyang Member

He's an upgrade over Blake, but that's not saying much, is Miller even better than Rafer at this point? Interesting that they refuse to go after Odom but signed this guy instead.

10. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Miller is more efficient than Rafer. But Rafer might actually be a decent fit in Portland if he had the shooting year he had during that 22 game win streak. They can both run teams and protect the ball while providing toughness and a sense of calm. Rafer has played with McGrady, he could fit right in with Roy. Blake is about as good though if not better.

11. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

I think he's a great defender.

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/vAA8mLz8aJ0&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/vAA8mLz8aJ0&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

I'm pretty disappointed by this move because the Blazers are the team I was going to be rooting for to win the championship next year now that the Rockets are done. I see this as a huge waste of precious cap space. Sure, Dre can initiate the offense when Roy needs a blow, but what does he bring in crunch time when Roy has the ball in his hands? They need a guy who can knock down open 3's from that position. It's pretty pointless to bring in a guy who's only strength is your best player's strength/duty, especially when you're using all of your flexibility to get him.

12. Super Von

Super Von Member

:eek:

13. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Good move, they are there with the Spurs and Lakers now.

DD

14. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

The Spurs matchup perfectly with Portland. San Antonio would do unspeakable things to Portland in a series. Parker would go nuts and MG+RJ can offset Roy. Aldridge isn't tough enough to deal with Blair/McDyess/Udoka.

15. tiger0330

tiger0330 Member

He'll fit because he's more talented than Blake. They are a young team in need of a vet to take them to the next level, Miller gives them that. IMO, the 3 pt shooting is over rated.

16. rocketfan21

rocketfan21 Member

I fail to see how he fits in with this team anymore than Blake does. Obviously Miller is a better player than Blake, but they HAVE their ball handler. His name is Brandon Roy. I think that a shooting point guard fills the role waaaay better than a passing point guard (not that Blake can't pass, we all saw him have 14 assists in ONE QUARTER). Plus they overpaid. I think they're just making desperation moves.

17. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

There is no question this move makes the Blazers better. Anybody who can't see how Miller + Blake is better than Blake + Sergio Rodriguez didn't watch the Blazers last season. As Asian Sensation said, when Blake played great, the Blazers were almost impossible to beat, but too many times he stunk up the joint. When he was injured mid-season, the Blazers completely lost their mojo. On any given night, the Blazers should be able to count on decent PG play from at least one of these two. Miller also can finish at the rim and should have plenty of opportunities when teams key on Roy and LA. As someone else said, Miller is also a decent post passer and will get the ball to the big guys where they need it to be efficient (including alley oops).

Miller's lack of an outside shot definitely presents a problem, but he won't be finishing games if he can't hurt teams late when they play off him. But at least when facing opposing PGs who are small and can't defend, Miller can punish the other team (unlike Blake). Neither guy is a good defender and Oden will remain susceptible to fouling.

This isn't the ideal move for Portland, but considering what is leftover and the fact they only committed $14 million over 2 years, this is the best they could do other than trading for Hinrich. They will be a better team next season now that their huge gaping hole at PG isn't as huge. At the beginning of the summer, hopes were highter, but Turkey-Glue changing his mind put them in a bind. If holding on the Bayless was the only reason they didn't trade for Hinrich, that was a bad decision by Pritchard.

Bayless is not gonna be a happy camper. Hopefully he channels that energy into getting better and become good enough to push his way into the playing rotation. I doubt that happens without an injury to someone else.

18. SmeggySmeg

SmeggySmeg Member

spot on, anyone who has watched a blazers game knows that in the 4th quarter Roy is the PG and has the ball in his hands for all of the 24 seconds..... dre miller will just help the D if he is on the floor at this point

19. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Or would you rather have Blake out there to hit the 3 off Roy's penetration? Guess its situational...

20. Egghead

Egghead Member

I was on the realgm Blazers board...

most of them seem to agree to this would be a fair deal

Battier

for

Outlaw, Bayless

...hell one Portland fan even said blazers should throw in a 2010 1st round (top 10 protected pick) too...

Brooks/Lowry/Bayless
    Outlaw/Bayless/Taylor
    Ariza/Budinger
    Scola/Landry/Hayes
    Andersen/Dorsey

trade Cook.. buy out Barry

thoughts??