1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ESPN] Billy Hunter forced out of NBAPA

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by foodworld, Feb 16, 2013.

1. foodworld

foodworld Member

Didn't see this posted. Hunter is a big-time grifter for whom millionaire athletes were an easy mark. Too bad this didn't come before last season's lockout.

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/8955008/billy-hunter-voted-head-nba-players-union

HOUSTON -- Billy Hunter was ousted unanimously as executive director of the union by NBA players, who said Saturday they will "no longer be divided, misled, misinformed."

"This is our union and we have taken it back," National Basketball Players Association president Derek Fisher said.

Fisher said it was a day of change for the union, one that had seemed inevitable since a review of the union last month was critical of Hunter's leadership and urged players to consider whether they wanted to keep him.

They didn't.

"We want to make it clear that we are here to serve only the best interests of the players," Fisher said. "No threats, no lies, no distractions will stop us from serving our memberships."

In brief remarks, Fisher said a new executive committee was elected, and he will remain as president. The Spurs' Matt Bonner is vice president, Miami's James Jones is secretary-treasurer and the Nets' Jerry Stackhouse is first vice president. The Clippers' Chris Paul and Willie Green, Golden State's Stephen Curry, Denver's Andre Iguodala, and the Hornets' Roger Mason, Jr. are vice presidents.

Hunter said he had "yet to receive any notification" of his firing.

"If accurate, it is indicative of the extremely troubling process followed by the NBPA during the past few weeks," he said in a statement. "During the days and weeks ahead, my legal team and I will begin carefully reviewing the actions taken and statements made against me in the meeting room in my absence. I look forward to gathering the evidence showing how certain individuals made sure the outcome was preordained."

Hunter had led the union since 1996, guiding the players through three collective bargaining agreements and helping bring their average salaries to more than $5 million, highest in team sports. But Fisher pushed for the review after a falling out between the two leaders, and though it found Hunter wasn't guilty of any criminal activity involving union funds, it cited him for a number of conflicts of interests and poor choices that led the players to remove him.

Commissioner David Stern was aware of the union's actions but had little comment.

"We await notification from the union as to who we should be dealing with because it has been a principle of faith with us that we will deal with whomever the union tells us to deal with," Stern said.

Released in January, the review conducted by the law firm Paul, Weiss, Rifkind, Wharton & Garrison LLP criticized Hunter for hiring family members and friends. It said he knew his 2010 contract extension wasn't properly ratified by union rules, and raised questions about everything from travel expenses to the amount he spent on gifts.

Players acted quickly, putting Hunter on a leave of absence Feb. 1. He hoped to be invited to Saturday's annual meeting, which included about 35 players, superstar LeBron James among them.

[snip]

2. hooroo

hooroo Member

Why is Fisher the president when he was part of the corruption? He only ratted out Hunter after they fell out and he was given the boot.

1 person likes this.
  3. roslolian

roslolian Member

Good point. IIRC one of the "conflicts of intertest" was Hunter authorizing disbursements of funds for a watch as a xmas gift for Fisher.

Well the thing with corruption is it can infect guys who wouldn't do anything on their own. Maybe Fish will clean up his act with Hunter gone. That dude was really bad, he got the NBPA to sign a contract with his son's financial company to provide services for like 1M a year for 6 years which can't be voided for any reason whatsoever.

Although Hunter brought the league salary up 5M, I don't think that would be that hard to do considering the NBA is a global sport. If you look at other globally popular sports like baseball or soccer NBA salaries are just average in comparison.

4. SkyrimOwnsAll

SkyrimOwnsAll Member

does this help prevent another Lockout in 2016

im clueless on CBA logic

5. Jontro

Jontro Member

Who's going to replace him?

Let's sign a petition for Clutch. Maybe even DD. Or bigtexxx, since he's had experience in handling billions of dollars of his own personal money.

6. SkyrimOwnsAll

SkyrimOwnsAll Member

Shane Battier to president

7. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Not at all.

One thing that will have an effect: The Sacramento Kings selling for $525 million. NBA players noticed this. In January 2011, the Kings were valued by Forbes at less than $300 million. The players will definitely opt out in 2017 and I think the chances are high of missing an entire season.

Too bad the NBA won't immediately throw out their own garbage (Stern). He and his chum Billy Hunter should leave together arm-in-arm.

8. sinobball

sinobball Member

Fisher already out of the league can still be player association's president?

9. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Member

At least by this same time NEXT year, we will be NOT seeing any more David Stern. This was his last All Star game.

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/blog/e...ssioner-david-stern-names-his-favorite-memory
    And we all ECHO that sentiment

10. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Member

Why is Jeremy Lin not elected President?

11. sinobball

sinobball Member

Because Asians cannot vote.

12. Kam

Kam Member

WRONG.

The correct answer is they can vote.

But their votes count as 3/5ths.

Shane should be NBAPA or let some other Duke or Stanford nerd do it.

13. kianainhi

kianainhi Member

Why is Fisher the president when he's not in the NBA? Those holding office in the union should be voted by the union members. Is he a self proclaim prez?

14. MambaJoe

MambaJoe Member

Stern has always been garbage as far as I know. One of the most corrupted commissioner in the world of sports. I never understood why Stern can basically get away with anything without any type of accountability. Why can't there be a vote for the new commissioner instead of Stern picking one of his own (Adam Silvers) where Stern can continue to be the voice in Adam's head even after retirement.

I have a good feeling that when Stern retires, we will not hear the last of Stern. He will continue to have control of the league until the day he die. There's no control on the NBA part. Even presidents of the United States still have consequences but I feel like the commissioner can do whatever and no one will take any type of action against it.

I am glad that Billy Hunter is out. I am glad that Stern is retiring. But Derek Fisher is still the so call proclaim president of the NBPA and Adam Silver will step into the new commissioner role and Stern will still have his ways over Silver. If the NBPA is allow to vote for their own president and such, then it should be the same way for the NBA.

15. da_juice

da_juice Member

Yeah, Silver doesn't strike me as having much of a backbone. Stern oversaw the league during prosperity, but he's also made some mistakes and it's time for a new line of thinking. I picture Silver sitting around, twiddling his thumbs, calling Stern whenever he has to make a decision.

16. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Member

Technically he's with the Mavs (I think). He played awhile this year until he was injured. So, he's on a roster, just ain't playing.

17. Aleron

Aleron Member

There is, he's selected by and represents the interests of the owners.

18. Classic

Classic Member

They should overthrow Fischer. The time is ripe for a revolution.

19. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I'm pretty sure Fisher will be gone this summer. He had a sip of water with the Mavs early in the season.