1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ESPN Bill Simmons take on Tmac at playoffs

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by dachuda86, Apr 29, 2009.

1. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

on ESPN... insightful :)

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/090429&sportCat=nba

Q: Do the 2008-09 Rockets qualify for the Ewing Theory?

A: I wanted to rule "no" because nobody ever said the words, "Uh-oh, T-Mac is gone, the Rockets are screwed now." At the same time, you can't beat the comedy of a T-Mac team finally making it past the first round 12 seasons into his career ... only he's watching from streetclothes on the bench. So let's include him. By the way, do you think the phone call played out like this before Game 3?

T-Mac: "Rick, hey, it's Tracy McGrady."

Rick Adelman (startled): "Hey, Tracy. How are you? How's rehab?"

T-Mac: "Great, great. Look, I was thinking about sitting on our bench for Game 3. I thought it could give us a boost."

Now, you're Rick Adelman. What is your proper response?

Is it, "Are you [bleeping] kidding me? Seriously? Are you KIDDING ME? Is this a prank? Who is this? This isn't funny!"

Is it, "Great idea, nothing will inspire our team like the superstar with the worst career playoff record ever?"

Is it, "That sounds great! Ironically, it's the eight-month anniversary to the day when you showed up for training camp overweight and proceeded to murder us for the next five months until we finally decided to trade you, only you one-upped us by opting for microfracture surgery and killing your value. Maybe we could celebrate with cake after the game, win or lose?"

What do you say? I don't know. These are the questions I would ask coaches if I covered an NBA team. Which is probably why I'd lose locker-room access after two weeks. Or get beaten up. Or both.

2. drowsy11

drowsy11 Member

Q: When the Rockets need a basket, why don't they pound the ball down low to Yao Ming, a great free-throw shooter who has a mismatch with whomever might be guarding him, instead of having Yao set picks 27 feet from the basket to set up unspeakably bad jumpers by Ron Artest?

A: I ... I don't know.

this is more important

1 person likes this.
  3. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

I agree. I just thought some would get a kick outa that "phone conversation."

The guy makes a great point. Read the comments he has about the rockets, they are extremely valid.

4. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

lol.. old ideas.. very old ideas.. but mildly funny.

5. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

hehe....I always love the phone call bit. I'll go with option 3 for Rick's answer.

It's nice to see the national media calling it how it is.

Paging the Tmac Love Crew to come in and accuse Bill Simmons of being a conspiracy theorist regarding Knee-Mac's sudden decision for microfracture.

6. DreamRoxCoogFan

its fairly obvious- its impossible to get it into him at times. While he is 7-6 he is effectively neutralized by a fronting defense, and as the game goes on, the refs allow it to get more and more physical. As a result, when yao does get it in this situation then he either loses it or he tries to put up a bad shot thinking that he will get the call.

In response to the physicality, they bring him off PnRs in attempt to free him up, when that doesn't work, ron goes iso and dribbles it out and puts up a bad shot.

7. carib

carib Member

Brooks, Wafer and Lowry must penetrate more and draw Yao and Scola's defender and then hit them with a neat pass.

8. TracywtFacy

TracywtFacy Member

Any ill effects of having Tmac on the bench will be negated by the presence of Deke...

9. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

Fixed

10. redao

redao Member

Barely......

We got narrow wins in the first two home games when TMAC was on the bench...

When he was not, .......

Phew. Deke is the man.

11. BlastOff

BlastOff Member

I'd go with the Popovich response: "Am I being punked or something?"