1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ESPN] Asik unhappy, may force trade?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jacoby, Jul 5, 2013.

1. HamJam

HamJam Contributing Member

Yep, reporters are like Dentists and Mechanics -- you never know when to believe them or when they are just trying to make money -- and when you find a good one you better stick with them.

Also, I want to call ESPN out as well in particular. Even after their own Stephen A Smith came on and debunked their whole "Dwight is 50-50 and changing his mind" report, they are still running with Dwight waffling stories and have the headline of Dwight to Houston as though he was being indecisive. It is not even selling clicks at this point, now it is just them spitefully and obstinately refusing to run with the truth since it points out their lack of credibility.

2. jajayao

jajayao Member

I find it hilarious how you guys want Asik to be happy about losing his starting job. He did a good to great job as the Rockets center last season, so of course he should be unhappy. By no means does this make him a diva. I don't see how anyone that is doing a good job would be happy being demoted from 30 minutes a game to at best, 20 minutes a game. :eek:

As for the Rockets organization, it's probably best if they trade Asik while his value is high right now. Letting him rot on the bench behind Dwight isn't going to improve his value at all.

3. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

I think his value will be at a higher point during training camp when-

A. Teams miss out on other free agent targets like Bynum or Pekovic that are still on the market.
    B. Coaches get a look at their crop of their young bigs in training camp and get scared that said Rookie isn't ready to play in the NBA yet.
    C. Major injuries happen in training camp or early in the season.

The value for bigs usually are at their highest when they are needed.... which is when actual basketball is being played.

1 person likes this.
  4. Maikeru

Maikeru Member

Wouldn't it make more sense that the source of all this Asik is unhappy rumor is someone trying to decrease his trade value, so they can get him for cheap.;)

5. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

The current NBA culture is turning excelling at your job into a bad thing, while stacked teams that beat up on the less fortunate are applauded. If you're not a max player, your only options are to either suck it up and carry the bags for 'superstars' in their quest for validation from the masses by winning rings, or join a lesser team and be perceived as someone who only cares about padding his stats and/or making money.

6. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Poor Asik!! I wonder if be cries himself to sleep every night. And the jarret jacks and jr smiths of the world... What will become of them!

Lol. Asik is making 20+ million over 3 years. He got that contract really without ever excelling at being a professional ball player. So he is getting "replaced" by a dude that is head and shoulders above him.

Teams that are better than all the other teams by virtue of being stacked, are always applauded. Winners get the glory. That's the way it is and that's the way it's always been and that's the it always will be.

7. opticon

opticon Member

Good post I agree. When ever Morey has a chance he always brings up we don't have to give him up.

Denver made it work with McGee coming of the bench for a season. Teams will be ready to wheel and once December rolls around and everyones new toys don't look do shiny anymore.

8. platypus

platypus Member

I call BS on this "report". Omer strikes me as a team oriented player and I can't imagine him publicly saying something like this. Sure he might not like being a backup but I'm sure Coach Mchale and Morey talked to him about this possibility in last season's exit meetings.

Seems like some team is leaking this "rumor" to force morey's hand.

9. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Never said 'poor Asik', only responded to 'you guys want Asik to be happy about losing his starting job'.

Also not talking about teams being applauded or not applauded, but rather individual players who either need to be a max player winning titles or a role player helping the max players win titles to avoid being ridiculed for wanting to just excel at their job at the expense of not winning a ring with a stacked deck.

Seems like you sort of missed the point here.

10. D12Eminem

D12Eminem Member

Espn is a circus

11. daoshi

daoshi Contributing Member

I like the guy, but he is definitely gone before the next season starts. It's just not wise to keep him and watching his value drop due to an expected diminishing role.

Someone will start him, and the Rockets will definitely get some value back.

Oh, ESPN sucks. We the Rockets fans know that.

12. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

13. Lord Protector

that espn report is a hoax for sure. Omer my man is a mute. Didnt say much the whole season and now he starts to babble after Howards sign? No ****in way. Of course he will be sad playing less mins, but he is pro and team player enough, to accept that D12 is the No 1 choice.

14. RedDynasty

RedDynasty Member

KEEP OMER!!!

He would be BY FAR the best backup center.

All we need to do is sign Delfino/Brewer.

Lin/Beverley
    Harden/(Delfino or Brewer)
    Parsons/Garcia
    Jones/Motiejunas
    Howard/Asik

Contention.

15. vstexas09

vstexas09 Contributing Member

even though he didn't say anything, i think he will bounce at the end of his contract.

dude wants to start, but i don't mind keeping him for the next 2 yrs...def puts us in contention, so let's just milk what he'll give to this team in the next 2 yrs...

16. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

Hey now...take it easy. :)

17. rocketsmetalspd

I just don't believe the hype on Omer wanting to be traded. Omer and Lin are 2 other reasons why DH12 wanted to come to Houston. I would rather keep both Omer and Lin and see how the team gels this season. IF a trade needs to be made the team still has till the trading deadline to do so.

18. Nice Rollin

Nice Rollin Contributing Member

Made up story

19. AirBud#10

AirBud#10 Member

That is true, but we would also have by far the worst starting PF, I think Asik has to be traded to upgrade the 4.

20. Doppleganger

Doppleganger Rookie

Lin and Asik are also a big reason why the Rockets were successful. Throwing them under the bus now is just bad karma.