1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

espn article: Chris Paul / Kyrie Irving swap

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by mkahanek, Jan 24, 2016.

1. rhino17

rhino17 Member

I would do it if I was LAC

They aren't going anywhere with Paul, he has hit the same limit he always has. He needs to take a backseat to Blake for them to take the next step and he clearly isn't willing to do that. Maybe Kyrie will

2. malakas

malakas Member

It's a trade two for one. With Paul you also basically lose Deandre because he will be completely useless. Then both the Clippers stars would be bad defenders => not good for any championship aspiration.
    On the other hand the Cavs would get much better with a shorter window,but anyway their window is very short. And Paul would be able to give to Love the ball at the right spots and time something that Irving is completely incapable of doing.

3. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

It is a win/win situation. The Clips should realize they are not winning it all this year. It is obvious. Next season however they just might be the team to beat. They lost the bench they thought they built and now they have no chance . The Cavs could use Paul and if the offer was available. I'd do it as well.

4. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

This would be good for both teams I agree.

However, I don't want the Cavs to be that good during Harden's prime so I hope it doesn't happen.

5. split41

split41 Member

They got past the spurs last year, which should tell you how speculative your argument is.

6. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

I'm not sure about it for either team.

Lebron is excellent at controlling the game and passing, those are Chris Paul's best attributes, do they want stars with games that overlap?

Lebron is 31 but we know he will still be great for years to come (probaly until 35 or over) the Cavs core outside of him are relatively young

Irving 23, Thompson 24, Delly/Shump 25, Love 27, Mozgof 29

That's really the only players in their core that matters, Smith, Williams, Jones, Varejao and Jefferson are all easily replaceable with younger counterparts.

Do they really want to exchange Irving who will be in his prime until Lebron retires for Paul who will be if hasn't already started to regress? Not sure.

As for Clippers I don't see Irving as a great fit, like others have mentioned you can't have lob city without the lob artist. I like this trade more for the Clips then the Cavs probably but not a perfect fit with lack of.passing and defense.

7. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

It's about loading up for the chance to win a title in Lebrons window. It doesn't matter if they have a future core if their current group can't contend. Yes, I know they are first in the East, and I realize the East has better records this year than the West, but the winner will not be the Cavs. They need to make a change to win a title.

Is it swapping Irving for Paul? To be honest, looks like a horizontal move for them. The negative is that it takes the ball out of Lebrons hands more frequently, but Paul might be able to make up the difference in a 2 man game with Love.

Would be a fantastic move for the Clippers. They are Griffins team. He is being held back by Paul, can carry the team without him. Irving comes in as someone who can work off Griffin, and could possibly ease the pressure on him.

Not sure the risk/reward is worth making the move for either team though...

8. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

considering paul and lebron are very close, i could see both pushing for this

9. roslolian

roslolian Member

Is CP3 signed up with Klutch Sports? At least Tyron Lue's black so CP3 should have no problems with him....

10. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I think it's bad for both teams. Paul dominates the ball too. LeBron's game can't handle that. Neither could Paul's.

Irving wont create open shots for Deandre or JJ like Paul does. Plus, he may be younger but he's also injury prone.

11. OTMax

OTMax Member

Not going to happen, moving on.

12. daoshi

daoshi Contributing Member

This.

Both guys dominating ball too much, even for a PG, hence their respective teams always had trouble to advance in playoffs.

This will not improve either team, may bring both teams backwards a step this season.

13. T.Mcgrady

T.Mcgrady Member

I'm sorry, but that's the same **** they said about Wade and Lebron and they won two championships.

CP3 is a better player than Irving and would make that team better. LA would be r****ded to do this.

14. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

Absolutely.
    Are you guys nuts. The clippers know they can't beat the warriors this year. Kyrie is like what? 6 or 7 years younger. Closer to griffins age.

I say no way cavs do this deal.

15. ubigred

ubigred Contributing Member

He couldn't get anything else for him. The gamble to bring him didn't pay off, but it didn't cost much. Worth it.

16. htownrocketman

Why would this even matter when you got a Superteam in the Warriors? Every other team is just shuffling bodies while they stay the same, unbeatable team, barring injury of course. Odds are seriously in their favor for the championship for the next couple of years that's for sure.

17. roslolian

roslolian Member

I hope they do this trade, both teams will immediately be wore since DJ can't score on his own and Irving is a scoring pg while LBJ and CP3 both need the ball to be effective. If this trade goes down Houston just needs to worry about the Spurs and GSW.

18. 08kx250f

08kx250f Member

Why does it matter? Harden isn't winning anything. Especially as long as the Warriors are around. I'd love to see any team beat the Warriors.

19. 08kx250f

08kx250f Member

"Just"

We stand absolutely 0% chance to exit the West.

20. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

They also used to be among the league's most horrific floppers. Don't know if they've reformed. If not, we could stage a Flop-Off.