1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[espn] All-Star Game snubs and surprises

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Air Langhi, Feb 10, 2012.

1. mzsajjad

mzsajjad Member

well the main reasoning should be that Rockets are a significantly better team and WINNING ... and our star and leader has been Lowry

2. Village Bum

Village Bum Member

Actually, I think the Northwest is the toughest division in the NBA. The worst team (record wise) is Minny, and they're sitting at .500. While we've got NOLA sitting at 4-22. But Lowry did get shafted. He should've gotten the spot Nash was given.

3. Rockets Jones

Rockets Jones Member

What is going on here, is this a forum for Rockets fans or what ?? Why in the world do people still try to argue with this. Even this ESPN guy thought Lowry should've gotten it over Nash. The Rockets are winning and Lowry is a big reason, his numbers are great, in MVP conversation and everybody is giving him credit. Why can't people on this board understand that ??

And yes, solely based on age Lowry should've been the all-star. Nash has already had a lot of appearances. Also his team is not winning.

4. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Nash is still amazing. He really isn't that much different now than he was back when he was winning MVPs. The talent around him is just worse.

5. tofu--

tofu-- Member

I first read that as "Even though Dirk has been on Meth this year." Wouldn't have surprised me the way he's been playing.

I think the the writers hit it pretty accurately-- the Lowry snub is unfair but I can see why it happened. Besides, not like our team ever gets the spotlight-- and maybe it's better that way. Suckers won't know what hit them when we win the championship.

6. freeze00up

freeze00up Member

i agree that lowry was snubbed and they shouldn't have included parker

although nash's team isn't that good he is leading the league in assists and is shooting 57% :eek: this year and 45.5% from 3

7. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

I'm a Rockets fan but I'm also objective. I honestly don't get the Lowry in the MVP discussion thing. Who was the last MVP to score under 15ppg while barely making 40% of their shots?

His numbers aren't that great. Among western conference point guards, he's 6th in scoring, 13th in FG%, 7th in 3PT%, 5th in assists, 15th in A/T, and 4th in Steals. And THAT'S only WC point guards! He's very good at a lot of things but the only thing that stands out about him is that he rebounds well for a PG. Yeah, 14.7/7.6/5.7 is pretty good. But worthy of MVP consideration? Maybe All-Star worthy if there weren't a bunch of other good PG's, but MVP? C'mon, man.

I guess he's fallen off a bit statistically as of late, but that's where he is now. Even where is was in mid to late January, I wouldn't consider him a high MVP candidate. He'd only be receiving consideration if your list was kind of long.

Lowry's having a good year but Paul, Parker, Westbrook, and Nash are having better ones and I have no problem with them being selected to the All Star team over Kyle.

#27 Cannonball, Feb 10, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2012
  8. Mr. Space City

he sabotaged his possibility of getting all-star with his shooting slump .

at before his slump his numbers were

17/9/7 w/ 2.1 steals

.427 FG%
    .406 3PT%
    .911 FT%

22.3 PER

if he would have kept that up he would have got the nod.

9. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

On Tony Parker, the right person was chosen. The Spurs have been winning with him, more or less running the show. Over the last few weeks, he's been a better player than Lowry.

I really do not see anyone in Houston who had an overwhelming case for the all-star game.

10. thething

thething Contributing Member

If he had kept that up, I think he should have gotten the all-star recognition. I don't think he would have. Tony Parker is the much more-known commodity. Him over Lowry would be like Nowitzki over Millsap.

11. Asian Sensation

Not even a mention of Monta Ellis?

Dude's a baller and he's fun as hell to watch. It would have been a treat to see him in the ASG. Nobody wants to see Parker and his sorry tear drop.

12. meh

meh Contributing Member

Well, these are stat geeks. Stat geeks dislike volume shooters that aren't really efficient, doesn't play defense, put up empty stats on bad teams without having won even remotely anything in their careers.

But yes, he is exciting to watch. Golden State has always been exciting to watch since they are always among the leaders in giving up points season after season.

13. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

The coaches selected the reserves I thought, can't blame the stat geeks for this one.

14. meh

meh Contributing Member

Oh, I thought he was referring to this story, which asked a panel of more or less stat geeks for their opinions. IMO, coaches skipped on Ellis because he lacks the "winning" quality, right or wrong.

15. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

Maybe because Lowry is a much much better defender, an elite rebounder for a point guard and one of the top players in the league at getting steals. But I guess those stats don't count.