1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ESPN] '94 Rockets dissed in Pippen article

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by elrond, Oct 6, 2004.

1. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

BTW: What is that AIDS thing in your signature? Is that some kind of reference to Magic? And if you're trying to give him props as the 5th best player and simultaneously giving him the nickname "AIDS," that's really freaking weird.

2. OverRRated

OverRRated Member

Trust me...I know...I know...

3. Nero

Nero Member

It's simple. It always has been. The Bulls could not match up with us with Olajuwon. We could match up with them, having that lunatic Mad Max playing inside Jordan's shirt.

The Bulls never faced a team in the finals who had a legitimate center the caliber of Hakeem.

The regular season WAS a good indicator, unless the implication is that, for some reason, the Bulls deliberately CHOSE not to play well against us during the season.. which obviously makes no sense.

Just because the sports media loved riding jordan's jock, while Hakeem was not a media darling because of his shyness and heavy accent, that does not make Houston any less of a champion.

If I had a magic wand, I would go back in time and prevent Jordan from retiring. The year the Rockets beat the Knicks, the Bulls would have given us a better series, MAYBE even winning it. But in 95, nobody, and I mean NOBODY, was going to beat us in those finals.

4. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

Oh, okay then. I didn't realize you knew. That's good enough for me! Nero: Good points, but he knows... he knows...

What's the deal with the sig?

5. TBar

TBar Contributing Member

If we only look at playoffs - when you make your name- look at Olajuwon - he always elevated his game in the playoffs. If you ignore the regular season and see how Olajuwon dominated younger players at 31 in the playoffs, it is clear he would not be intimidated by the Pippen led Bulls.

Please remember Mad Max could defend Jordan - he had no fear.

We played better than any team in the league in spring '93 - we were dominating everyone - that should have been our first championship year. No one was playing at our level after one year with Rudy. In May '93 we ruled the NBA.....

We were robbed in that last regular season game with S.A. -Robinson's shot went off after the buzzer....

With home court we probably could have and should have beten the sonics.

There is no doubt in my mind that in '93, '94, and '95 we could have beaten the Bulls despite our small market status..

I know, I know - the Rockets would have won.....

6. OverRRated

OverRRated Member

Notice I said... IMO... a few times...

7. MFW2310

MFW2310 Contributing Member

Somewhere out there, there's always some idiot that tries to label Jordan's pubic hair as the best thing since sliced bread. Just let the pubic hair retire already.

8. DavidS

DavidS Contributing Member

We should have beat the 1994 Bulls w/Scotty leading. But with Jordan, no! The 95 Rockets had the best chance of beating a Jordan lead Bulls team. Note, as some have stated, the regular season record doesn't matter. We never played the Bulls in the Finals to measure this. But, what is apparent is that the Rocket of 94 had *a bunch* of role players around *one* star: Hakeem. The Bulls had *two* stars: Jordan and Pippen. And Grant wasn't that shabby either. What made them so good was that they could score many ways. Not just "dump it down to one player like the 94 Rox." Jordan knew how to pass very well, not only score. He knew that winning as a *team* was the only way to win (even though he was the "best" ever). The Bulls just had, collectively, more talent (and utilized it in many ways) than the 94 Rockets (as long as Jordan was playing in 94).

What about the Bulls vs the Knicks?
    I just don't believe that the Knicks would have gotten past the Bulls if Jordan didn't retire. And it took 7 games for the Rockets to beat the Knicks. Think about it. It's very likely the Bulls would have probably beat the Rockets in 6 games. The Bulls were better than the Knicks and the Rockets collectively (team offense and team defense).

Rockets and the Knicks? Well as you could see, they were *almost* evenly matched. The Rox edged them out in 7.

"Weakness champion EVER"

Technically and aesthetically...we'll kinda. They were not the "Sixers, Lakers, Celtic or Bulls" champs. Those teams dominated the regular season (65+ wins) *AND* achieved championships too! Both! Three of them reached dynasty status!

As far as "weakest ever?" That's the writer's opinion. But the 94 Rockets were not the "strongest champion" by any means. In fact, they were kinda boring. Their offense, made up of role players and Hakeem, basically dumped it down to him, and had their 3 point spot up shooters on the line. This was Rudy's simple game plan. And it was effective (it lead us past the Knicks). But it was also boring to everyone else that was NOT FROM HOUSTON.

This is why Sacramento and Dallas (and the old Lakers) are fan favorites in the play-offs. Non-Sac and Non-Dallas (and non-Laker) fans ENJOY watching these teams play. Even Rocket fans watch the Kings or Dallas (and the Lakers) when our team is not in the playoffs. It's just fun to watch their high-scoring offense. Also, they play great team ball (sans defense! :( ). The 1994 Rockets played "Hakeem defense" and "Hakeem offense" sprinkled with a bunch of 3 point shooters. No cutting, no pick and roles, no internal passing, no creative plays. Just the same play over and over. This will never attract fans from other cities. So, no matter how much you jump up-and-down in anger towards journalists and fans from *other* cites. Why try and force them to "love the 1994 Rockets?" They wont. It's just their (and our) personal preference. Pure subjective enjoyment. You can't force them. Nope. Not going to happen.

"You WILL EAT your broccoli, and you will LIKE it!" :mad: Blah...:p

Look on the bright-side...It's not so bad, though. Just look at the 1995 Rockets. They recived a lot of accolades and respect! They had TWO HOFers, Hakeem and Drexler (and Chucky Brown! ;) )! Cassell was coming into his own. And they played a brand of basketball that EVERYONE (outside Houston) could enjoy! Plus they whipped the Shaq/Penny Orlando team!

Currently the Rockets are in great position to make a lot of waves in the league. Yao is world famous, and the 2nd best center in the league. TMac is nationally recognized and admired as a "top 5" player. JVG is respected around the league. JJ is a notable journey man. And our roster is dotted with quality role players. Collectively, our team is well packed! And other cites will give this team respect as long as we kick ass and take names. But we also have to entertain them. And I"m sure Yao and TMac can do that!

P.S. JVG, Tmac and Yao ARE all "media darlings!" Great professionals and give great sound-bites to boot! Collectively, this is the best team the Rockets had at such a young age.

The future is now! :D

[​IMG] [​IMG]

#28 DavidS, Oct 6, 2004
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2004
  9. gotrock?

gotrock? Member

What I wanna know is how do the writers explain the fact that when the Bulls win they receive all praise as the greatest champs ever but when the Rox win in the same era, we're the weakest champs??
    I guess it wasn't just Jordan who retired--all the top stars in the league except for Olajuwon did...

GIVE US OUR PROPS!!!!!!!

10. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

It took us 7 games because the Knicks had a center. They matched up well with us. The Bulls did not. Yes, they had more "stars", but we had players who could legitimatally match up with MJ, Pip and Grant. No, they could not stop MJ, but Max could make him work. THEY HAD NO ONE FOR HAKEEM. That is the difference.

The Knicks came close to knocking off the Bulls a few times, but they failed mainly because Ewing was a nut-up. Hakeem is not. Put Dream on those Knick squads, and I bet they get past Chicago as well.

11. shsu33

shsu33 Member

What about the Bulls vs the Knicks?
    I just don't believe that the Knicks would have gotten past the Bulls if Jordan didn't retire. And it took 7 games for the Rockets to beat the Knicks. Think about it. It's very likely the Bulls would have probably beat the Rockets in 6 games. The Bulls were better than the Knicks and the Rockets collectively (team offense and team defense).

I remember the Knicks were a very strong group that probably would have beaten down and bruised the Bulls for a good 7 game series that year. If the Bulls had gotten past the Knicks they would have played a rested Rockets team that beat the Jazz in 5. Mad Max was always in Jordan's grill, trust me Jordan would have gotten his points but not the points he usually put up in the finals. I think the combo of Thorpe and Herrera would have really hurt Grant. Hakeem, well lets just say the Bulls didn't have a Ewing or Shaq, so I think he would have had his best finals against them. Paxson/Armstrong = Smith/Cassell at that point in time. That leaves Pippen and I think Horry and Elie would have done pretty good on him. I'm trying not to be bias but I think the weakness champion filled with a bunch of role players would have won that one and we wouldn't be having this discussion.

I got two words for anyone who thinks the Rockets wouldn't have beat the Bulls. Prove It!

12. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

Rockets in '95 would have made the '96, 72-10 Bulls work hard. Horry torched Rodman that year in the San Antonio series. No one on the Bulls could stop Dream. Drexler would be outproduced, but not destroyed by Jordan. Elie would make Pip work. Smith/Cassell > Harper/Kerr.

Don't tell me Jordan would have willed the Bulls to a championship despite the matchups. In '96 Mike averaged 30ppg, 5rpg, 4apg, on 46% shooting in the playoffs. In '95 Dream averaged 33ppg, 10rpg, 4apg, on 53% shooting in the playoffs. You tell me who was more likely to will his team to victory.

EDIT: Also, the toughest defender Jordan had to face was John Starks (Payton didn't guard him in the Finals, Hawkins did). Hakeem had to go up against David Robinson, and Shaquille O'Neal in consecutive series. Granted, Joe Klein was not the World's most imposing defensive presence, but even so.

#32 dharocks, Oct 7, 2004
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2004
  13. KaiSeR SoZe

KaiSeR SoZe Contributing Member

Game 6 against the Knicks on TV right now:)

14. vibe

vibe Member

All do respect to Jordan and what he accomplished, and they would have been TOUGH in the finals, but I truly believe with Hakeem we would have beaten them either year.

15. vibe

vibe Member

It's about matchups too.

16. vincejas

vincejas Member

Hakeem is twice the player ewing is, was, before and ever will be. And the bulls have a hard time matching up with knicks becoz of ewing alone. This speaks volume of why the rockets can and will beat the bulls in 94 or in 95. But i believe that the 95 rockets was really the team of destiny. The hearts of a champion. That 94 team can be consider as one of the weakest champions alright but that **** of a sportswriter should never ever take the credit away from rudy t, mvp of that season hakeem and the so called bunch of role players who beat the sorry asses of a very strong teams of portland with clyde and porter, suns team of sir charles which was the same team that gave the bulls some fits, the jazz of karl and stock and the knicks of ewing. That year, hakeem showed why he is head and shoulders above his contemporaries, hofers like charles, karl and stockton, drexler and ewing.

17. jevjnd

jevjnd Contributing Member

Hakeem to me was the most amazing player. However remember those Bulls teams did win 72 games one year, and they went through Orlando just like we did once Jordan returned to form. I have to say that we would have had a 50/50 chance, those Bulls teams dominated like no one else in history.

18. DavidS

And the Rockets took seven game against the Suns. Same with Seattle (93/96). Did they have a center? The "they (Knicks) match-up well with us" is just an excuse unless you start to look at it objectively. Especially when talking about regular season vs play-offs. There are many factors in a teams victory...how a team plays and adjusts, over-all talent, chemistry and WHO IS the LEADER? In the play-offs you really have a lot of time to sit back and try and figure out the other team. It's not like the regular season where you play that team every once in a while (twice for the Bulls).

So, saying "they(Knicks) had a center" to match-up with us, and the Bulls didn't is implying that *we would have beat the Bulls easily.* It's not that simple.

When you say, "They matched up with us, but the Bulls did not" is suggesting that we know HOW the Bulls would have performed us in the playoffs/finals against us. That has never happened. So, we don't know that. Like I said before, having a better record in the regular season doesn't mean very much. Especially not Phil and Jordan, where they could, look at game tape, break down their opponents weaknesses, dissect it, and them come back stronger every game. A series to them was a chess match, and they would actually take advantage of a loss (because their opponents would "think" they had taken it to the Bulls). But it was all just a stepping stone for the Bulls to just come back stronger the next game.

Also remember the Rockets hadn't won a title ever! No professional Houston team since the AFL. And because of that, the pressure would have been even greater on us than the Bulls. And the defending champs. They knew a few things about winning in the Finals. We didn't. And neither did the Knicks.

Your very first sentence you go on to say that the Knicks "had a center."

Above you state, "Ewing was a nut-up." :confused: I think you were trying to imply that Ewing was a "screw-up" but Hakeem was not. But, what about all you said regarding "matching up?" You give Ewing credit for matching-up, yet you say he's a screw-up too?

You can't have your cake and then eat it too.

I say this again. The best chance the Rockets had to beat the Bulls was in 1995. That year could have been a dominate year. Heck, forget 7 games. It was possible that they could have beaten the Bulls in 6 games. The 94 team. Not so easy. Hakeem was missing that dynamic duo in Drexler. Jordan had one: Pippen.

#38 DavidS, Oct 8, 2004
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2004
  19. DavidS

You know what is strange?

How some people say that the Bulls wouldn't have ANYONE to match-up with Hakeem. Yet, Maxwell is automatically going to SHUTDOWN Jordan? Is that fair? Is that being objective?

Great players can't be stopped. Hakeem and Shaq battled it out. But they didn't nulify each other games. They still scored 30+ppg. Hakeem played aginst Ewing. And both of them scored their normal ppg. This has to be said about Jordan too.

Thus, no ONE player can "match-up" w/Jordan. The same goes for Hakeem or Shaq or Duncan. Jordan scoring 30pts is a "bad game" for him. Come on, we're talking about Maxwell. Not the "greatest defender of all time." Yes, he had some regluar season success against Jordan. Yes, he helped us win games. But is Maxwell guarding Jordan in the reguluar season the same as Maxwell guarding Jordan in the play-offs/finals?

I pity the "fool" that says that Maxwell was the "Jordan stopper" during a 94 Finals against the Bulls. That would have been great motivation for Jordan to go off for 50pts!

As far as your PPG comparison between Jordan and Hakeem. Did you also forget that in 94 Hakeem didn't have Drexler. And in 93/96 Jordan has Pippen? What about those extra 20ppg/8rpg/6ast?

And this is my major point. Hakeem needed Drexler to realistically beat the Bulls ANY YEAR (94 Finals or 95 Finals). Drexler was the great EQUALIZER to the Jordan/Pippen duo/team of 95.

True, but...

HOFer = Hakeem
    HOFer = Jordan

Those are the two that you should be comparing to lead their teams.

Then,

HOFer = Drexler (missing in 94)
    HOFer = Pippen (Jordan would have him in 94)

Those are the two that you should be comparing as the 2nd part of the duo.

Elie "making Pip work" is besides the point. The only way that would mean anything is if Elie shutdown Pippen or substantially dropped his PPG. I agree w/you that the 95 Rockets had a good chance of beating the Bulls in 95 (if Jordan hadn't retired).

It's just funny how Elie, Horry and Smith have been elevated to a lofty status over the last 10 years. Cassell was the only young player that will possibly go on to HOFer status. Elie, Horry and Smith were just role players. Toni Kukoc (joined 94) was better than Elie, Smith and Horry. None of which could have averaged 19ppg any year. That's why they didn't ever. Kukoc did.

#39 DavidS, Oct 8, 2004
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2004
  20. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

It's very easy to figure out which sportswriters know jacksh*t about the NBA whenever they get on the topic of the 94 and 95 seasons.