1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Live Rockets Discussion
    Before the NBA playoffs resume Friday night, we're talking Rockets, including individual team awards. We're live NOW!

Talking Rockets - LIVE!

[ESPN] 30 for 30 "Hillsborough"

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Colt45, Apr 16, 2014.

1. Colt45

Colt45 Member
    Supporting Member

Did anybody watch this last night? I did and it's really stuck with me.

I knew about the Hillsborough Disaster in the sense that I was aware that it had occurred and that there was some sort of whitewash to protect those responsible, but I wasn't aware of how callous and deceitful the authorities involved have been toward the victims and their families. Truly despicable.

It's an excellent and very moving documentary that I highly recommend regardless of your interest in soccer.

2. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

I'll have to catch a rerun, because I'm very interested in this story as an EPL fan who only recently came to love the league. Always hear about this incident and never knew all the details.

3. JeopardE

JeopardE Contributing Member

I watched it last night. Gripping. I think my mouth was open for about an hour straight.

What a tragedy, and even more tragic that it has taken this long for the victims to start to get justice.

I remember back in the day I was a kid and I heard about Hillsborough and one or two other disasters and it was all about how soccer fans are "hooligans" and bad/dangerous people etc. etc. At least that's how the newspapers used to paint the picture. What utter wickedness it is to defecate on the memory of the dead like that even while their bodies were still warm.

#JusticeForThe96

4. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

I'm not really a soccer fan though I'll watch the World Cup and the Dynamo occasionally. I'd never heard about Hillsborough so it was all new to me. I liked the documentary and would recommend it.

5. Scarface281

Scarface281 Contributing Member

I can't believe the chief would do that. ANd then that insensitive comment about "Liverpool fans never arrive late". Just wtf stuff in there. Felt really bad for the families. Blaming it on alcohol, pulling up criminal records of those deceased. Didn't know that the UK police could get the grimy.

6. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

I was going to post yesterday about it to point out

April 15th, 2014 is the:
    • 1st anniversary of the Boston Marathon bombing
    • 15th anniversary of Hillborough disaster
    • 25th anniversary of the start of the Tiananmen Square protests

7. airbulllard

airbulllard Contributing Member

8. plcmts17

plcmts17 Member

Hillsborough was the same year as the Tianamen protests.