1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ESPN] 200 best-paying teams in the world (Rockets at #18)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by CompaqC, Apr 25, 2011.

1. CompaqC

CompaqC Member

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/news/story?id=6354899

A global salary survey published in ESPN The Magazine, which was conducted by Sporting Intelligence, revealed which clubs or franchises paid the most on a per-player basis in their most recently completed seasons.

Rockets rank 18th overall and 6th among NBA teams behind Lakers, Orlando, Denver, Utah :eek:, and Boston.

Oh and the Astros are at #103 :)

I was actually a little surprised to see the Rockets that high, but then i remembered Brad Miller! :rolleyes:

2. RocketMania1991

Man every NBA team ahead of us on that list is in the playoffs excluding the Jazz :(

3. PeppermintCandy

I remembered Yao Ming.

And, of course, Matt Maloney.

4. brantonli24

brantonli24 Member

Once Yao's contract comes off, I suspect we will drop quite a few places.

But :eek: The Rockets spend more per player than Liverpool, Arsenal and Aston Villa.

5. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Time to start posting this in locker rooms around the league. The Rockets WILL overpay! Lets get predatory!

6. josephnicks

josephnicks Member

we americans dont understand this reference..

7. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

But I thought Les was cheap!?!?!:rolleyes:

8. OHMSS

OHMSS Rookie

Clubs in Europe only list net income. So you can double all of those figures. It seems that ESPN's researchers and writers cannot even get basic facts right.

9. OHMSS

OHMSS Rookie

I doubt it. ESPN does not grasp that those clubs list net income salaries and they count the net income as gross income. ESPN's writer's are a bunch of hacks.

10. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

maybe i'm a moron but i dont even know what this means.

11. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

I think he's saying that European clubs "pay" more, but a greater chunk of that goes to taxes rather than the players' bank account.

Do we want a list ranking how much teams pay, or how well they compensate their players? This list reflects the latter, I suppose.

Edit: Actually, on re-reading, maybe its that European salaries are after taxes, where as salaries listed for NBA players are before taxes. So, not a fair comparison.

12. ashishduh

ashishduh Contributing Member

Oh boy it's Euro-troll again.

Newsflash, this research wasn't conducted by ESPN reporters looking up team payrolls on the intarwebs. It was conducted by a third party company that doesn't get its numbers from "reports" but actually goes and surveys all these teams. So the numbers are indeed gross pre-tax numbers.

If you bothered to do any research whatsoever instead of being the troll that you are, you'd know this.

1 person likes this.
  13. cjtaylorpt

cjtaylorpt Member

I don't think that the majority of fans and players alike feel that way so I don't get the purpose of this statement. Only uneducated (which there will be some) fans and players thinking too highly of themselves will think that we are cheap.

14. worzel gummidge

NBA is the richest league in the world. Today's players should be more grateful to MJ and Stern.

15. apollo33

apollo33 Member

NBA players are so overpaid...

16. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

This is completely incorrect.

17. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

No, OHMSS was just talking out of his ass, as usual.

18. topfive

topfive CF OG

Highest-ranking NFL team? The Redskins at #70.

Now THOSE players have a reason to want a new CBA.

19. choujie

choujie Member

What does "average per player" mean? Are they based on same number of players?

How is Mavs averaging less than Rockets when Mavs payroll at 90 mil and Rockets payroll at 72mil?

If this is based on different number of players like Mavs paying 19 players while Rockets paying 15, it becomes meaningless. Several league min contracts not on the roster can drive the "average" way down.

20. choujie

choujie Member

Actually compare average salary for teams with totally different number of players is like compare apples with oranges.