1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ESPN] 2 interesting thoughts: AI, Marbury

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by echu888, Mar 4, 2009.

1. echu888

echu888 Member

Sheridan says:
    Any thoughts about this? Looks like other teams are experiencing similar things to the Rockets ...

Secondly ...
    Funny, the team added Marbury as insurance, but from this journalist's view, the players themselves aren't particularly thrilled at his presence on the team...

I'm still glad we didn't pick this guy up.

2. Painting_Shade

Painting_Shade Contributing Member

when will people realize that players like AI and starbury are just not effective winning players? I mean it shows in their stats. Sure, they can get those 20+ ppg seasons, but no one ever looks past that. They aren't helping their teams win. That's not to say you can't check your ego out and be effective, ala Paul Pierce, but I believe Tracy is one of those players.

3. tiger0330

tiger0330 Contributing Member

Celtics visiting LA?? That was like a month ago wasn't it?? The Celts have embraced Marbury, Big Baby liked Marbs on NBA TV and the Boston crowd gave him a standing O. Its on Marbs now to ruin a good start, let's see if he really is a chemistry killer.

4. echu888

echu888 Member

5. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

It is funny that Garnett and Marbury play on the same team again :D.

Trading for AI was not smart of the pistons IMHO. But they needed to shake things up because they were not going to win another title with the team they had. They took a chance, but i think it will not pay out.

6. J.R.

J.R. Member

Theyre not gonna win the title but help themselves by putting Iverson on the bench.

7. Shaud

Shaud Member

Lets see how the Pistons do when they play teams not missing key players.

Last 2 games

Denver missing Melo

Boston missing KG

Still good wins but I'm just saying.

8. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Did Orlando miss any key player? I guess they did with Rafer in there :D

9. Al Calavicci

Al Calavicci Contributing Member

The key player they're missing is the key reason Alston is there.

10. RocketJoe

RocketJoe Contributing Member

Iverson to Detroit was a huge mistake for the Pistons. Iverson had the most success with teams built around him, he's not been as effective when he is the complimentary piece. I would disagree to say he's not a winner he just dominates the ball and the Pistons were not built that way to win..

The Detroit situation reminds me more of the Rox situation where there the offense seems to flow better when "certain" players are not on the court.

Starbury on the other hand.. he has never shown anything to prove to me that he is a winner. Bad locker room guy, bad attitude and every team he has been to has gotten better when he left. I hope he crashes and burns the Celts and Pierce's flopping, crying, over dramatic a**.
    I do respect KG though.

11. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

perhaps the Celtics were in a bad mood not because of Staph joining their team but because they had just lost to the Clippers...

12. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Detroit was in the situation that its players had become complacent. As good as CBillups is, even he didn't always play with the same fire that earned the Pistons their championship 5 years ago. Trade him to Denver and, how about that?, he can still play at a top level.

Getting Iverson was a decent gamble. He and Sheed come off the books. They can go after some top talent. It's too much to hope they can grab Boozer but there might be a few players they'll go after.

We can be sure Detroit won't try to take Artest off our hands.

13. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Seems like forever ago that Iverson led a pathetic Sixers team all the way to the finals. Since then he has really brought his teams down.

14. mozart123

mozart123 Rookie

Detroit is probably better of being the sixth seed and facing Orlando, If Detroit plays Orlando, Detroit wins it in 5-6 games again.

15. Christopher

Christopher Member

You'd take Iverson over McGrady any day of the week.

Iverson led a TERRIBLE Philly team to the finals.

16. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

That "terrible" philly team was 5th in defense and 13th in offense. Since we know Iverson is not a good defensive player, I have to say his teammates were pretty good at least on that end. And that's half the game.

17. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

tmac would have killed on that team. much more efficient than iverson (back when tmac was in his orlando prime he could actually shoot), just as good at scoring, even better and more natural at passing, and actually good at defense. and the east was horrible. iverson was basically asked to score as much as he could with a bunch of offensive scrubs who could really play defense. and he did that pretty well. in the crappy east, that could get you to the finals. the francis/mobley rockets went 25-5 against the east that year and swept the whole central division 16-0. we might've gone to the finals that year if we were in the east.

i know break-ups are messy and nobody, including me, likes tmac for what he did this year, but all this retroactively pretending that tmac sucks is hilarious. just like someone above saying tmac is like iverson and marbury and that his teams win without him, which of course is true this year, but pretty much completely untrue the past 4 years, when we basically looked hopeless without him in the lineup and won 50+ games when he was in the lineup.

18. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

1. I would lay down money that Larry Brown would have traded Iverson for McGrady straight up back then if he had the opportunity.

2. What's going to be REALLY interesting is what happens to all these big money free agents this summer. The economy's wrecking more havoc than the luxury tax, the cap number's going to drop, nearly every big money signing this past year (Brand, Davis, Maggette) has been an out-and-out FLOP....what are these guys going to see?

Jason Kidd ($21M)
    Allen Iverson ($22M)
    Starbury ($20M)
    Bibby ($15M)
    Shawn Marion ($17M)
    Rasheed Wallace ($14M)
    Wally Z ($13M)
    Carlos Boo$er ($12M, option he says he will take)
    Lamar Odom ($11M)
    Andre Miller ($10M)
    Antoine Walker ($9M, LOL)
    Ron Artest ($8M)
    Rasho Nasterovic ($8M, LOL)
    Drew Gooden ($7M)
    Ben Gordon ($6M)

Maybe I'm overly conservative to the point of being naive, but I can't see any team out there signing any of these guys to a deal significantly above $11M/year. Not with the way revenue has fallen through the floor and revenue expected to be worse next year (suite, sponsorship, and season ticket renewals take place April-Aug, last year's took place just before the economy did a faceplant).

19. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

I think that's a bit misleading. People will point to anything to make the case that Iverson has always been a poor player who hurts his teams. Our own rockets have been good defensively for years. Why didn't we make it to the finals, or out of the 1st round? Either he's been really good or the Yao/T-mac combo really sucked...And, how do you think that team was ranked 13th offensively? Could AI have had anything to do with that?

I honestly think it's all about fit. Iverson needs to play a certain way with a certain team, that's not some crazy new concept. Yao wouldn't be a good fit on the run and gun suns of a couple years ago, he would probably hold them back. That doesn't mean he is a bad player.

20. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

I didn't say AI hurt that team. He carried a huge burden on the offensive end, and they needed that to win 56 games and eventually get to the Finals. But the fact remains that it was a better defensive team than offensive team, which means his teammates weren't just standing around doing nothing -- if nothing else, they were obviously doing a very good job on the defensive side. So, in my opinion, it's not accurate to simply say he carried a terrible team. Terrible teams aren't good on either end of the court, and his team was very good on the defensive side.