1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Erm, you had one Job, Rafael.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by VoR, Feb 10, 2022.

1. Imanimal

Imanimal Member

With the crap we have I’m not sure there is such a thing as a “bad” trade.

Crashlanded19 likes this.
  2. groovemachine

groovemachine Member

Whatever Stone did, some people were going to complain. It's impossible to make a fair judgement without knowing the offers on the table. It's very possible teams didn't evaluate EG and Wood as guys that would push them over the top, so were lowballing us.

3. rhino17

rhino17 Member

What is "something"? Unless you are getting a 1st rounder, it doesn't matter when you dump him, because you won't be getting anything of value anyway. If someone had a first rounder on the table, they should have taken it. But if they didn't, then it makes no difference keeping him. You still need warm bodies on the roster.

4. jayhow92

jayhow92 Member

It could have been worse. We could have traded for Ben Simmons

5. YOLO

YOLO Member

Doesn’t matter if it’s a first. There’s no reason for him to be here. That’s the entire point. Lets not act like EG is a must play in the rotation. He’s been hurt and they still have plenty of bodies to throw out there. They’re the worse team with him They’re the worse team without him.

Hoarding him absolutely makes no sense at this point

6. jim1961

jim1961 Member

I would love to see details of the trades that were turned down. Short of that, you either believe he did right by the team or not.

This explains some of it I think.

luckyman76 and Richie_Rich like this.
  7. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

With what exactly? Contributors to a 15-20 game winning team?

8. jerryclark

jerryclark Member

Stone has been absolutely worthless. Nothing in the offseason. Nothing at the deadline

What does this guy even do around here

9. Le$$

Le$$ Member

Well as far as getting what they wanted in trade for Eric Gordon. Rockets really dont have any experience players to put around this young team, i mean seriously you cant just gut a team to nothing, you need some experience on the team. I mean that's why they got schroder as well.

10. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

I keep hearing people say this like.. “well Stone set a price and he had to stick to it when teams were lowballing him so can’t fault him etc. etc.”

I think this is absolutely the wrong mentality and strategy. EG and to an extent Wood are depreciating assets. Your asset is worth what someone is willing to pay you for it. If I’m moving to Canada next month I’ve got to sell my house. I might personally value my house at 500k but if people are only offering me 350k guess what….. my house is truly only worth 350k and I can either take that or let the bank foreclose and I get nothing.

Even if the best the Rockets could get was a 2nd round pick Stone should have done the deal. Only GM in the league that can maybe make an argument that he has too many picks is Presti. I think Stone didn’t want to do that though because of pride due to the embarrassment of Oladipo. It was an easy out for him to just claim it was the other teams fault.

The buyers always set the market. You have two depreciating assets. Screw your pride and take the best you can get. You’ll get more GM’s actually calling you in the future instead of them assuming it’s a waste of time to call Stone.