1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's Game 3 between the Knicks and Pacers in Indiana. Join us as we watch the NBA playoffs together...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Erik Murphy Stretch 4

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by Old Man Rock, May 6, 2013.

1. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

/Erik Murphy-Draft Express

This kid has upside as good or better than Matt Bonner. A true stretch 4 pf we so desperately need. A senior who will be ready to come in and contribute. Comes from a family of basketball players. His mom and dad both played and his Dad played in the nba and overseas for 7- 8years. He's my early choice for our second round selection. He's projected 48 because of his poor defensive rebounding but I think that will be okay and he will get tougher. Plus no one on our current group of PF will ever shoot 3's as well not even Delfino and he is already a better than Delfino and DMo defensively, much more physical. And he is as good a three point shooter coming out of college as there is. I would prefer Love or Ilyasova but this kid might be better than Bonner before his career is over. Not bad for a second rounder.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/T0bs2VfNfz4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

2. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

3. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

Ha Ha. His got a few inches on him.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/m1IfAcdiooE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

4. basketballholic

You nailed it with the Matt Bonner comparison. I'd bet the Spurs like this kid.

5. eddiewinslow

eddiewinslow Member

did u you see the last game of his college career? Michigan laid the wood down and he did absolutely nothing in the biggest game of his life....thanks but no thanks

6. thedude077

thedude077 Member

I do like him a lot. But I don't see Morey drafting this guy.

7. jimmyv281

jimmyv281 Member

We need a quality starter stretch 4, we have the money lets go buy him. ( Al Jefferson).

8. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

Yeah, one game against the second best team in the country is usually enough for scouting a player.

There's always a place in the league for shooters. I'm sure he'll stick somewhere.

9. smr6

smr6 Member

I'm sure he would be solid, but he would probably get buried on our bench behind Jones, Motiejunas, and Robinson.

10. knickstorm

knickstorm Member

more people that can do the dirty work inside and rebound? no way.

11. haoafu

haoafu Contributing Member

His poor rebounding and perimeter defense(against PNR) is worrisome, and he appears to be one-dimensional on offense. Fair late second round pick. but he seems to have a low ceiling and could be buried on bench with his limitations.

12. mike_lu

mike_lu Member

I'm with OMR on this one.

With all the skills Marcus Morris reportedly had, being able to back down smaller players, his mid-range game, turnaround jumper (Carmelo-lite) etc etc ... the only thing that got him on the court for the Rockets was his 38-40% 3pt shooting in the second year.

And the other stuff he wasn't able to display anyway (partly system, partly his own deficiencies).

So given we have such a preference for stretch 4s, and a need there, why not get the best one (that is available in the second round) at filling that niche as opposed to a multi-dimension player that isn't great at anything.

With having traded for Harden, and potentially able to lure another star/superstar over the coming year to two with our cap space, Morey will probably shift back to using the draft to fill niches, as opposed to trying to hit a jackpot on a player that has star upside but significant bust potential.

I think this is where Morey's good at. It is not so much draft position (ie bad with late lottery picks vs great with 2nd round picks), but that Morey isn't good at trying to draft players that may end up being stars, out of late lottery range. But Morey is really good at picking a player to fit in a niche within the offense. AB is a prime example ... great fit with Adelman's system, not so good anywhere else.

13. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

14. haoafu

haoafu Contributing Member

Stretch 4 is a nice thing to have, but not something we absolutely need.

We can always use small lineup with Parsons/Delfino at 4, and remember Ppat/Morris were not considered as legit&reliable stretch 4 prior to last season. I expect Dmo/TJ to develop a more consistent outside shot over the summer like Morris/Ppat/Pasrons did.

15. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

As a 2nd rounder I would normally say, OK, why not. But we have a glut of PFs (though that's never stopped Morey before!). So I'd rather address the center and wing positions.

This guy looks nothing like Charlie Murphy. I'm a little disappointed.

16. lionaire

lionaire Member

17. RickyNewport

RickyNewport Member

We have too many young power forwards as is and plus we are suppose to have another one coming over from Europe this season. I don't see Morey spending another draft pick on a PF this year. Center, PG, or wing player...