1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Eric Gordon's Shot Selection

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Htown Stros, Aug 25, 2020.

1. Htown Stros

Htown Stros Member

Including tonight he’s shooting 20% on 3PA this series averaging NINE of them a game. On the 2 PT attempts (he's shot ~10 a game so far) he’s shooting nearly 50%. When you factor in the free throws those two point attempts have been nearly twice as efficient as his three point attempts.

Amazing how an “analytical savvy” organization with a MIT grad as your GM but can’t figure out you should probably tell the guy if he shoots one more contested three or one from 35 feet out like he’s Lillard he's going to ride the bench because it's becoming detrimental to this team. He literally shoots us out of games - people act like Harden is a ball stopper but I'd love to see how often Eric Gordon actually turns down a chance for a three pointer no matter how far out he is or how contested the shot is. And for those who have forgotten, he shot 38% (33% from 3P) in 2018 during the playoffs with virtually no free throw attempts so for those who aren't great at math...that's not very efficient. - 33% from deep.

I literally subscribed to Stathead because of how pissed off I was at the game today just so I could dig deep into the stats to prove what I thought - his shot selection is pathetic. Since he's been on the Rockets he's taken 10 shots during the playoffs with 2 minutes or less in the 4Q/OT - EIGHT of those shots have been three point attempts and he's made TWO of them.

I've always thought when we get a comfortable lead he really starts jacking and teams get back in the game often - so I looked up his performance in the second half of playoff games when up 8-16 points and the two seasons we had CP3 and this year so far, when we are up between 8 and 16 points and not including tonight he's taken 25 threes and has made five of them. That's 20.8% once again for those bad at math. And his overall shooting percentage in these scenarios is 31% because of course he refuses to go to the basket when we're up. Amazingly using the same 2nd half filter but when we are down, he astonishingly takes a MUCH higher percentage (45% of his total shots vs. 37% of his attempts) of two point shots than when we have a comfortable lead and should be driving to the basket given we don't need the extra f***** point.

His shot selection is just unbelievably bad and any halfway decent coach would have told the guy he'd be on the bench if he keeps it up. And for those coming in here and complaining that Harden does the same thing...the difference is he's nowhere near as talented as Harden, he isn't getting other teammates involved ever and Harden does actually go to the basket when we're up comfortably so it helps balance out his awful shots from behind the arc.

#1 Htown Stros, Aug 25, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2020
  2. icewill36

icewill36 Member

i thought he was better today. he jacked up a few but overall he took smarter shots. if he keeps that up we will be Ok.

just need westbrook back now.

BigShasta and ak99999 like this.
  3. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

Eric Gordon is washed...
    Career low in regular season FG%, eFG%, 3PT%, offensive rating, AST%, win shares per 48 minutes, offensive +/-, defensive +/-, and value over replacement player. All this despite dropping 50 in a game this year.

Career low in playoff eFG%, 3PT%, offensive rating, defensive rating, offensive +/- and value over replacement player.

hakeem94 likes this.
  4. HP3

HP3 Member

The more I see EG stats, the less and less I blame Harden man.

5. kingkingston

kingkingston Member

He launches so many long threes. Looks dengerous on the drive but can settle for the three way too much

hakeem94, Mathloom and ak99999 like this.
  6. kingkingston

kingkingston Member

Eric Gordon was 4-4 in the third and 0-4 in the 4th

7. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Gordon should be the 6th man and sub in exclusively for James Harden

8. Sean Dr34ms

Sean Dr34ms Member

I hate watching Eric Gordon play, man.

He takes so many bad shots at such a low clip. When he drives and misses he throws his hands up in disbelief that there wasn’t a foul called every single time.

He bites on every pump fake and flys by or into the shooter.

He could be a more efficient and effective player if he learned to grow with his physical decline, but he tries to play the same way despite being a step slower and having not nearly as much bounce.

9. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

Gordon has been this way for his career... He's been a chucker... He's been a whiner... He's been injury prone... Now that he's older , he's been due for no more than 20 mpg... I guarantee in those 20 minutes, he'll shoot us out of a lead or game... He gets paid to shoot , not make em it seems... But in this circus offense, you can't be mad that he's doing his job...

10. Mr. Space City

remember when i said behind every james harden choke is a bad eric gordon game?

https://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/201905100HOU.html
    https://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/201905080GSW.html
    https://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/201805280HOU.html
    https://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/201705090SAS.html
    https://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/201705110HOU.html

this is who he is!!!!

hey only reason it gets swept under the rug is because nobody outside of rockets fans care about eric gordon and it's a better story to blame james (who deserves criticism as well)

Htown Stros and hakeem94 like this.
  11. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

The +/- has not been bad for Gordon relatively speaking for those games except for last year's... but the shooting... of my goodness.

12. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Doesn’t drive enough and his mechanics are not good enough to be launching that many threes per minute. Shot is too flat, drops the probability too much.

Needs to look to pass more often too.

hakeem94 likes this.
  13. topfive

topfive CF OG

Good thing he's on the last year of his contr... wait... Dammit!

Basically, at this point EG is a borderline NBA starter at best, yet we count on him to be the 3rd best player on our team.

Regardless of what happens for the remainder of the playoffs, Maori has his work cut out for him once they're done.

hakeem94 and harold bingo like this.
  14. ksny15

ksny15 Member

Everyone’s shot selection is ****ing stupid. If you
    pass up an open layup for a 3 you should be benched.

So tired of seeing these guys shoot contested 3s. Use the ****ing drive and midrange for a better % shot.

BigShasta, Htown Stros and hakeem94 like this.
  15. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

[​IMG]

16. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

Hopefully, he turned a corner last night with his 3-pt shooting.

It’s not unreasonable to assume his 3-pt % will rise whenever Russ returns, and there isn’t so much pressure on him to carry the offense at times.

17. HP3

HP3 Member

I mean as far the 2018 playoffs go, he had a 60 TS% so he was scoring efficiently no matter how you wanna slice it. The rest though, is pretty indisputable.

18. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

i would be much happier with him not trusting his 3pt shot.... knowing his tendencies a few 3pters that he hit last night will only make him chuck even more...
    i would rather that he concentrates on drives and its well documented hes an excellent driver... and just sprinkle a couple of 3pters here and there to keep defenses honest

19. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Said this before the season - I can't believe we gave him that money.....he is in steep decline and he plays like he doesn't know it.

DD

fattz and Htown Stros like this.
  20. ballsohard

ballsohard Member

He also was pulled when he finally started hitting