1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Eric Gordon Trades

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by finsraider, Jun 16, 2022.

1. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

10 mil for 20???

2. palmsnbananas

palmsnbananas Member

Having an aging player paid 20 mil a year and expecting a useful pick in return for him

Will def be an extremely late 1st rounder at best plus garbage salary in return and even that seems unlikely bc the good teams don’t have 20mil lying around in cap space

3. palmsnbananas

palmsnbananas Member

Looking more and more like Gordon’s gonna ride out his contract with us … unless a team gets desperate at the trade deadline.. I think that’s the hope

eliefor3 likes this.
  4. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Yes anybody thinking we are getting a frp for Gordon at this point are not paying attention. Wood was a much younger better trade chip and we go 26 for him. The only way we get anything more is take on a bad contract and Stone looks like he isn’t into that at all. Hayward for two years for 17, 26 and Gordon, Tate may get you to 13, but I doubt it since Charlotte needs a big just like us.

palmsnbananas likes this.
  5. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

I know I can’t make it work on the trade machine but again that’s the concept. Gordon and 26 to a contender for an expiring and a slightly higher pick.

6. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

HOU in- #7
    HOU out- Gordon, Tate, #17, #26

POR in- Jerami Grant, Gordon, Tate
    POR out- #7

DET in- Eric Bledsoe, #17, #26
    DET out- Grant

Banchero #3, at #7 it's maybe a slight reach but I'm taking Sochan. With the thought of upgrading your glue guy. Sochan does a lot of things Tate does but maybe a bit better. He's longer, younger and maybe a scosche more athletic. It's a steep price but you get the guy and clear a bit of the logjam on the team which doesn't hurt.

Trying for realistic- I think Portland does well here. For #7 they've land 3 solid vets for their last ride with Dame. For Detroit, maybe not quite as realistic but they get a veteran, secondary ball handling PG to pair with Cade and a couple swings in the 1st. For Grant, who I'm guessing isn't trying to re-sign in Detroit next year...

Now you have a seriously interesting starting unit- Porter, Green, Sochan, Banchero, Sengun. Athleticism abounds, a load of potential and 5 that seem to compliment each other's skills well. Banchero probably the focal point and facilitator. Green the bucket. Porter a 2 way dynamo. Sochan doing dirty work. Sengun giving you something unique from the 5, keeping defenses honest from selling out to stop the main action.

BHannes2BHonest, Hui, ISO and 9 others like this.
  7. finsraider

finsraider Member

Good concept, but Detroit isn’t giving up Grant and not getting #7. We can easily be cut out of this deal.

My big question is what does our draft board look like? We probably have enough assets to work a 3 way to get to #7, but who would we want? Trading up that high means someone we had as high as #5 fell. Who would that be?

Gotta be Sharpe or Daniels I’d think. Otherwise I don’t see a need to get up that high.

Just my opinion, but Tari Eason has the potential to be severely undervalued. He has All-Star level tools if he puts it all together.

8. R=$

R=$ Member

Change in Team Outlook: 0.0 ppg, +1.8 rpg, and -2.2 apg.
    Incoming Players
    [​IMG] Kelly Oubre, Jr.
    26 year old, 6-6, 205 lb SF from Kansas
    15.0 ppg, 4.0 rpg, 1.1 apg in 26.3 minutes in 2021-2022
    [​IMG] P.J. Washington
    23 year old, 6-7, 230 lb PF from Kentucky
    10.3 ppg, 5.2 rpg, 2.3 apg in 27.2 minutes in 2021-2022
    Outgoing Players
    [​IMG] Eric Gordon
    33 year old, 6-3, 215 lb G from Indiana
    13.4 ppg, 2.0 rpg, 2.7 apg in 29.3 minutes in 2021-2022
    [​IMG] Jae'sean Tate
    26 year old, 6-4, 230 lb F from Ohio State
    11.8 ppg, 5.4 rpg, 2.8 apg in 26.4 minutes in 2021-2022

Rudyc281 likes this.
  9. Dankstronaut

Supporting Member

They do if it's their best option. Portland wants the 3 players not 1 Grant. From Detroit's perspective Grant isn't coming back and isn't some world breaker. A decent veteran and 2 draft swings for a guy who is like ~okay~ is a good haul for a rebuilding team. I would agree they don't "win" the trade (Portland does) but they do well here.

As far as pick, yeah it's kind of a reach for Sochan at 7 according to draft boards but that's my pick. Daniels is seeming to shoot up draft boards but I don't think we need another guard. I see that pick as an indictment on Porter. Not a believer in Sharpe, I'll be happy to let some other team take the highest risk pick in the draft. Not a believer in Eason either, that guy is all athleticism no game. Even if it means a slight reach, I want to jump ahead and take the guy with wits (particularly defensive IQ) who doesn't need the ball to impact the game. He's a dirty work dynamo in the making. Shades of Shane Battier with a little more dribble and pop.

10. TheJuice

TheJuice Member

Philly doesn't with Green injured. Suns or Clippers may be interested

11. j@amc

j@amc Member

Your 3-way proposed trade does give Portland more of what they want. Not sure they could get much more in a straight-up deal.

Might have to give Detroit another player off our Roster make that deal go. 17, 26, and KMJ maybe?

Sochan is a difference maker but Daniels would fit too. He’s be our 3-man to start (6’8 in shoes) and would make the game easier for everyone. Tremendous defender, can handle the ball, improving shooter, very quick. By mid-season Daniel’s would be splitting time bringing the ball up and initiating offense. And that fastbreak would be special.

Ghost5Horse6 and Dankstronaut like this.
  12. KingSamJack

KingSamJack Member

Honestly feels like Stone is waiting until someone offers a Unprotected 1st 2023 pick, and i think he can get it this year.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  13. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

I think that would be his preference, but I doubt any of the re-building teams do it as they see the same prize as the Rockets. Another unprotected from a potential contender is pretty useless. We are so loaded with picks this year and next, I honestly don’t see how adding another 20 something pick next year does any good. I think we are going to be forced to stand pat and will use 26 for European stash.

14. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Our minutes in the backcourt will primarily be taken by Green, KPJ, and Christopher. So EG would have to get his minutes at the 3, which is pretty well understood at this point.

That hurts KJ and potentially Tate, and potentially anyone we draft at the 3 position on Thursday. But honestly, how bad is that for one more year. He’ll probably only play half the games anyway.

To me the best reason to trade EG is to get value for an asset before it’s gone. I don’t trust him to make it to the trade deadline healthy and we certainly aren’t resigning him. But if I’m being honest, he’s not hurting team development -we really don’t have any core players at the 3 (as much as I like KJ).

i think it likely comes down to if Stone values EG’s leadership this yr more than the 23rd pick in this draft. I’d take the pick but I wouldn’t be shocked if Stone gambles on EG’s health and waits till the deadline.

Croatian Sensation likes this.
  15. Bo6

Bo6 Member

Wonderful trade but I'm not sure Detroit or Portland takes it. We probably need to add in some second rounds and maybe a future BK pick for the deal to get done. Give Portland a BK pick or swap and I see this a 3-team winner. Everyone comes home happy.

Also I'm taking Daniels over Sochan 10/10 times. He's a much better player and fit for that starting 4 in my mind.

MystikArkitect likes this.
  16. Dankstronaut

Supporting Member

Why wouldn't Portland take that deal? They're getting a retool for one pick. Detroit I can see balking, maybe loading them up with more picks or one of our bench players but at that point you're REALLY giving up a load of assets for a rookie.

I don't think I agree that Daniels is "much better" than Sochan. He had a crazy rise during draft workouts and such. I'm not trying to knock Daniels but I think I'd prefer Sochan. Bigger, able to do more on defense, was a more efficient shooter last year.

17. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

I'd just take some prospect and sit them in the G-League for 1.25 seasons if needed.

No one is going to give up an unprotected 2023 pick.

We are the worst team in basketball. The cap hit on a first rounder is negligible and not going to affect our plans anyway.

As example, I don't like Patrick Baldwin but taking him at 26 just for a home run shot is a very valuable thing to attempt. Or use that spot for a Koloko or some other project big.

We need many irons in fire.

18. Asian Sensation

19. xaos

xaos Member

If I am a playoff team I value Gordon more than Wood. Hoping for a 2023 FRP

jcmoon likes this.
  20. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

I’d rather move Tate than Gordon and most of that is tied into the greater value we could obtain from Tate.