1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Eric Gordon Trades

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by finsraider, Jun 16, 2022.

1. HorryForThree

HorryForThree Member

I'm wondering if we could move him for the 76ers first rounder, Danny Green, and another expiring contract. That would give us 4 FRPs again, so not ideal. But a FRP without any bad money back is all you can ask for.

Milos and jimmyv281 like this.
  2. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

Something like Gordon, Tate and 26 for Danny Green and 23 sounds about right.

You’re just not going to get much for Eric and Tate is at his ceiling. Both would help out the Sixers who have terrible depth. I can’t make it work on the trade machine but conceptually that’s what you do. Send him to a playoff team to move up a couple spots in the draft for an expiring guy.

Then try and package up 17 and 23 to move up a few more spots.

There is no scenario where we move into the top 10 without giving up future firsts or Jalen Green. Sorry folks.

Genesis and Milos like this.
  3. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Sengun would do it with an outside shot that JC could do it. If Rockets get Paolo, I don't see them trading JC.

4. SKYGODZ187

SKYGODZ187 Member

Why Not EGO KPJ and a future 1st rounder for someones top 10 pick? try for IVEY to pair with Puolo Sengun Green?

JohnWoo713 likes this.
  5. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

It’s a cool coping method to say that and all but despite Woods deficiencies it still wasn’t a good deal for us.

Our FO has a bad habit of holding onto assets to the very last minute and selling them for rock bottom prices. Moving Wood last off season would have netted us something much better

MarioKissoDeath and pmac like this.
  6. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

-Trade EG to Philly for #23 and expirings
    -Trade #17 for a future 1st
    -Trade #23 and/or #26 for future 1st rounders. Draft highest upside player(s) if we can’t make a deal.

RasaqBoi likes this.
  7. PhiSlammaJamma

Before he is traded, I would like to see a video montage of him asking for a foul call.

BigMaloe, Corrosion, Losmi_34 and 5 others like this.
  8. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

KPJ is not getting traded.

xiki likes this.
  9. Milos

Milos Member

Green's busted ACL expiring for EGo's healthy expiring just makes way too much sense considering Morey, Harden connection

I'd love Thybulle, but then PHI basically has to start EGo at the 3 after trading both their primary SFs from last year

I'd also happily take back Springer as another young 2way guard to throw in the mix

sydmill and Genesis like this.
  10. Milos

Milos Member

I loved the timing of moving the assets needed to trade for #16 and draft Sengun last year

Also seems like they may end up having sold Harden at the right time & fleeced the Nets entire future unless Simmons somehow convinces KD & Irving to reup

They never even really 'held' LeVert or Allen, so can't possibly hold 2 good assets for a shorter amount of time than those 2 examples

They kept Oladipo around for a few weeks before getting what they could before the deadline

EGo is still to be determined

Unless you know of better deals Stone turned down for Wood in the last 18 months ...

Corrosion likes this.
  11. alethios

alethios Member

This trade with Dallas has a familiar feeling - like when Cuban offered that insane contract to Chandler P and thought he stole a baller from us. Wood is fool's gold and Dallas fans will sing a different tune when he steps out on the court.

12. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

I appreciate the sentiment. We need tall guys that play defense, but Ayton wants max or near max and is not worth it. Stone has shown he wants max cap space a couple of years from now and Ayton is a no go. Number 1, Sengun needs to play center on defense and I have confidence he will improve greatly in that area. We need a 3 and D forward. We are not going to move up in the draft to 10-11 without including our 2023 frp minimally protected. I personally would include that pick protected top 3 to move up to 7, but, again, I don’t see why Portland would do it. The only very remote possibilities to me are Knicks and Washington and they are a real long shot. Gordon, Tate, KJM and 17 and 26 have very little appeal to tanking teams and we will be outbid with contender teams (Portland, NY). I’m predicting we release all the Dallas picks and stay put and either draft 17 and 26 or trade one or other for future considerations.

ElPigto likes this.
  13. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Noooooo PLEASE no!

14. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

How do you know? It’s a real stretch to say Stone was offered anything more than this for Wood. He potentially is a good fit in Dallas, but the guys that needed someone tall passed on him. Basketball scouts saw the same warts on Wood that smart Houston fans saw. 26 was his value period.

15. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Why isn't Ayton worth near the max? He puts up 17/10 as the 3rd or 4th option on a winning team that barely runs any plays for him. He shoots FTs at a very good rate for a center and he's a solid defensive center. I like Sengun too and I, too, believe he'll improve next year on defense but 6'9" is 6'9". If Ayton's not the answer the need for a defensive big (whether or starter material or role player) is still apparent, which is something the other guy/gal contested that we didn't need ("There's no hole at center"). Mo Bamba or Mitchell Robinson would be a nice get. Either way, we need a rim protector.

16. Scarface281

Scarface281 Contributing Member

I agree they waited too long. Same with Gordon. Both should have been shipped by the All Star break and let the young kids run the show (which happened anyways ironically but just no trades). But it wasn't the worst deal in the world for Wood. It's still a first round pick that could potentially be packaged with the Nets pick to move up into the preteens if a player we like falls (and this FO does draft well). If a team like the Celtics come asking for Gordon then the price has gone up for them.

17. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I don't think so. I think you develop Banchero, Garuba, and Sengun. Later on, when we are really trying to contend and we are sure of what we have, then we can use some assets to grab a nice C, If it is even necessary. That is a luxury, not a need for where we currently are.

Plus, Sengun+Garuba, plus Banchero in some small ball, will gobble up ALL of the C minutes. Do you want to bring someone here to ride the pine? We got Boban for that.

If someone like Kessler falls to 26, that's not a bad idea and not too pricey, but we shouldn't be going crazy for bigs, IMO.

18. RudyTBag

Supporting Member

I personally think Sengun will be a better C than Ayton in the near future.

Ayton's defense doesn't impress me, either. I'd rather chill until we are ready to contend. Ayton is 4 years older than Sengun... No rush.

jboslett and steddinotayto like this.
  19. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

We can agree to disagree but the fact of the matter is the Rockets still don't have size in the middle going into next season, even with a 7'0"-with-shoes Banchero. Teams will run layup drills on the Rockets every single night. Defensively, I expect Sengun and Garuba to get better but Sengun's ceiling in that department is pretty low and Garuba can either turn out to be a defensive menace or just another role player. As for contending...Ayton's just 23 years old so it's not like signing the kid is some kind of "we ready to win now!" declaration. With positionless basketball being more and more the norm, why can't you roll out a lineup of Ayton/Sengun/Banchero/Green/Porter? On offense, Sengun is more effective closer to the rim and Ayton shot 56% on catch and shoot attempts last year and is pretty good between 10-16ft. Ayton offers another option as a safety valve as a rolling big man towards the basket for Banchero/Porter/Green to work with.

Like I said before, if shelling out high $ for Ayton isn't anyone's cup of tea for this team that's fine but the team still has to address the lack of size/height AND defense up front.

Corrosion and red5rocket like this.
  20. RudyTBag

Supporting Member

I think Sengun has a pretty high ceiling for defense, in fact. His hands are elite and his intelligence is going to come around, and no one has made more insane strides in their athletic ability than that kid. I think 23-year-old Sengun is going to look a whole lot different than 18-year-old Sengun, just like 16-year-old Sengun looked like a fudge pop before the work was put in.

As for Banchero/Sengun/Ayton lineups... Come on man. :p

#60 RudyTBag, Jun 17, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2022
    steddinotayto likes this.