1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Eric Gordon Hires New Agent (CAA)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by YOLO, Oct 5, 2022.

1. Swapshop

Swapshop Member

Fair, in that case Jabari shouldn't start either since you haven't seen evidence on his 3 ball either. Including summer league and preseason Tari shoots better at 3. What evidence have you seen against Tari's 3?

Obviously I don't agree with my example but its just wack logic.

2. ashleyem

ashleyem Member

Does anyone else feel weird that he’s suddenly been shut down for 2 games? Hopefully a trade is incoming.

Believe It! likes this.
  3. Believe It!

Believe It! Member

He deserves a shot on a competing team.

4. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

Yeah, you know those two examples aren’t comparable. Just stop. If we’re going to play 4-and-out with Sengun, we have to surround him with shooters. Or at least guys who will draw gravity.

5. Bo6

Bo6 Member

yes breaking news that a 14 year veteran is resting in pre-season games.

6. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

I think it's unlikely that they find a deal for EG during the season, that contract is just difficult to match unless there's an injury to a player in that pay range in the last year of his deal making an easy swap.

I don't see them package him with Favors to take in a player in the allowable $24m-$37m range - that's a top 12-50 contract. Most of those players are either overpaid or unavailable. (Click the link and tell me who you think is a reasonable get from 12-50 on the list)

I can see the team releasing EG after the deadline and him being free to sign where he wants - my bet is he ends up with Morey & Harden in Philly.

If he's going to get traded, It happens before the season starts ....

fattz, Believe It! and theDude like this.
  7. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

It is unlikely anyone specifically on that list will be traded as a positive asset. That said, keeping a trade possible just in case isn't a bad plan as players get hurt/ask for trades. I think it is possible that Gordon and Favors could be traded for someone overpaid on that list to get pick(s).

8. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

Tonight really illustrated how valuable Smith and Gordon are as spacers. I’m starting to lean towards keeping Gordon if the alternative is just another low FRP.

Ancient Moabite and maj21 like this.
  9. theDude

theDude Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Not that I wish ill-will on anyone, but it looks like you are hoping for an injury to Kevin Love, though I'm not sure what pick they could attach.

10. fattz

fattz Member

He cashes his check for being in the league. The Rockets need to do what is best for us.

11. Believe It!

Believe It! Member

Your right they should. Trade him to a contender.

12. roslolian

roslolian Member

Or maybe they just like EG and think a bunch of young guys with no good vet presence would be bad for development.

charlieaustin likes this.
  13. roslolian

roslolian Member

Why? EG never said he wanted to be traded and as far as I can see having at least 1 good vet is necessary for this very young team.

Maybe Stontita is picky cuz unless an offer wows them they are fine with EG staying on the team. Personally I'm fine too since EG never had any issues coming of the bench or has any ego problems about touches and whatnot.

14. ilias

ilias Member

SGA? Rumoured to be available. Solid fit next to Green. EG and Favors plus the Nets picks - I’d give 3 FRPs and 2 swaps. Would do it closer to the deadline, then shut him down after 5-10 games, so it doesn’t affect our draft odds.

15. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

I wouldn't touch that Grade 2 MCL contract with a ten foot pole.

His injury history is too lengthy for me to be paying 25% of the cap and expecting him to be your lead dog. Shai Gilgeous-Alexander Injuries - NBA | FOX Sports

He's played in only 35 and 56 games the past two years.

16. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

I don’t really see the fit part, but SGA is a good player and for the right price I wouldn’t mind having him. As a PG he average .3 less assists than KPJ and .3 less turnovers. He shot 30% from 3 compared to 37% for KPJ. He was much more efficient in the paint than KPJ, but is that what we really need with the 4 and 5 out offense? I’m not sure you are gaining much since Jalen is going to be a better offensive player and the primary scorer. I think KPJ will average close to 20 pts this year even though he will not be the primary focus of the offense. SGA averaged 24 points last year and was the primary focus of the offense. If I didn’t think so highly of Tari as our SF of the future I could see adding him and let him or KPJ play SF. SGA is making 30m a year vs probably 15-20 m for an extended KPJ. Just don’t see the fit. If you Jettison KPJ to start SGA have you really gained enough to off-set the 10m to 15m in loss cap space?

17. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

I wasn't suggesting anyone get injured .... just that would be one of the few scenarios where it makes EG combined with Favors a financial reality and it being limited to a very small pool of players and even smaller knowing that contract needs to be expiring.

Love's is one of the few that fit the description .... both in length and dollar value.

Other contracts that check all the boxes:

Kevin Love
    Jimmy Buckets
    Flat Earth .... I mean Kyrie.
    Andrew Wiggins
    Embiid
    D'Angelo Russell

So we see that only 6 contracts in the entire league check all the boxes - dollar value & expiring. And None of them are happening.

theDude likes this.
  18. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Yeah. Of those I can only see Kevin Love and D'Angelo Russell being traded for a package of EG, Favors and picks. I don't think either of those guys are considered a major part of the future of those franchises or considered to hold enough value that you would extend them to big bucks while they are injured.

Kevin Love seems the most likely candidate. Btw, he would then provide that veteran leadership you guys are so hell bent on even if injured.

Corrosion and theDude like this.
  19. theDude

theDude Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I didn’t mean to suggest that you personally wanted someone to get hurt. Bad semantics on my part. Just meant that the Rockets could benefit from that.

Love is the one that I could see a season ending injury also probably ending his tenure with the team, so they might be open to EG + Favors to keep their season afloat.

I don’t think an injury would affect the long term outlook for any of the other players.

Corrosion likes this.
  20. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

I knew that .... no harm done.

Yeah, an injury to Love would likely spell the end in Cleveland and maybe the league in general.

As @Williamson said above, D'Angelo Russell might be another .... Minny might get desperate to make a playoff run (but they wouldn't want Favors, he'd end up routed elsewhere).

My main point was to show just how difficult that EG/Favors deal is to pull off because so many people keep talking about it like it's inevitable. It's really a remote possibility but one you keep in the chamber should someone come available.

I suppose we could also look at the list of potential individual players that could facilitate a swap for EG alone.
    The potential salary range for an individual player is $15,654,688 to $24,460,450.

That would comprise contracts #51-91 on the list (NBA Salary Rankings | Spotrac) I'm not going to bother looking at which ones expire or not ....

Joe Joe, theDude and Williamson like this.